Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Chronicles for Windows (PC) - Translation Project to English COMPLETE!!! V0.983b Released!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
g2ffeFa.png

X007kUh.png
d63VRb9.png

Thank you for playing our Wizardry Chronicles English translation. This project has been hard at work for over 2 years and now is available completed to the public!

Be ready to encounter deadly enemies such as the Crooked Killer Bee, the deadly Root Toadeon, and the dreaded Helton Ant!

This has also been tested under Windows 7 64-Bit. No issues have been found as of yet in game-play.

You may wish to use JoyToKey to play this game - http://joytokey.net/en/

APPLocale is not required for running this game.

Current Issues -

1. Some of the letters may appear squished together in some instances. Currently there is no fix for this but is still legible when reading.

2. Class Abbreviations for stats & item usage are still in Japanese as I have no idea how to change that. If someone can lend assistance with this issue please let me know. Otherwise in the meantime I would write them down on paper to associate them to what class they are in avoiding confusion.

3. What issues remain to be uncovered!

Current Project Members

Coding
MrRichard999

Translators

Helly
Rikoren

AgentOrange
Eien Ni Hien

Alkeides
Jink640 (Spot Translation)
Mark Patraw (Enemy Names)
Eggs is Eggs (Item Names)

Here is where the patch can be downloaded from (Current Version 0.983b) --------> http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2321/

FOR THOSE EXPERIENCING VIDEO ISSUES WHILE RUNNING THIS, TRY DxWnd - https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

FOR THOSE WHO NEED D3DRM.DLL, TRY THIS LINK - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/d7c1eff9-daea-48cd-bf3c-60995f963ab4?auth=1

For anyone who would like to purchase this title, I'll provide the link below and the link for a proxy service if you cant buy direct from Amazon in Japan.

Wizardry Chronicles from Amazon.jp -----------> http://www.amazon.co.jp/KSS-Wizardry-Chronicle/dp/B00005OFEW

Treasure Japan (Proxy Service) -----------------> https://treasure-japan.com/

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I used to live in Japan and my Japanese is good so if you need help with any translation stuff, let me know.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
OK! THE GAME IS COMPLETE! GO TO THE FIRST POST TO DOWNLOAD! HOPE EVERYONE LIKES IT!!!! :obviously:

The spell names are nothing like what they are in the original series. Also the races (except Humans) and some classes are completely different also. This game is really a black sheep in the Wizardry collection.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Awesome

so, do you mean black sheep in terms of deviations from other Wiz1-5 Jap clones or in terms of level design and general quality?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great stuff as always MrRichard!

Downloaded, rolled up a party and went to enter the first dungeon...

And a black screen.

I've run it in compatibility mode for W7, downloaded D3DRM.dll and put it in the game folder and everything seemed to be good. Anyone know what the problem is? Why would the dungeon not display?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lol, I thought it might be 'in game' light related, but there's no normal torch for sale at the start and lvl 1 Mage's don't get a light spell, so I'm pretty sure it's a display issue.

Tried running with integrated gfx card in case it was AA or AF related, tried putting d3drm into system32 folder as well as game folder, tried Windows XP compatibility- no dice. Wondering if it's a resolution issue.

Rick

Erudite
OK! THE GAME IS COMPLETE! GO TO THE FIRST POST TO DOWNLOAD! HOPE EVERYONE LIKES IT!!!! :obviously:

The spell names are nothing like what they are in the original series. Also the races (except Humans) and some classes are completely different also. This game is really a black sheep in the Wizardry collection.

Okay, so if I read the Amazon page correctly from the opening post link, and assuming I don't already own the original, I can get it for either $180.00 (open box) or $311.00 new?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
There might be a link to an .iso file posted by someone who has been known to frequent this forum if you use your google-fu...

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Lol, I thought it might be 'in game' light related, but there's no normal torch for sale at the start and lvl 1 Mage's don't get a light spell, so I'm pretty sure it's a display issue.

Tried running with integrated gfx card in case it was AA or AF related, tried putting d3drm into system32 folder as well as game folder, tried Windows XP compatibility- no dice. Wondering if it's a resolution issue.

That's real strange... I run it on Windows 64 with no compatibility mode and it works fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Oh, if there are any special video card settings enables, try the defaults and also if you have crossfire or joining of video cards (SLi) and you have an option to run them as not joined, try that.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Turned everything GFX wise off, tried different resolutions, tried different compatibilities, tried running on one core. Tried putting d3drm.dll into system32 folder and rebooting. All no dice.

It's not all bad news tho, I discovered it will display the 'Line' view of the dungeon. Not Smooth or Graph, but Line works. I'm not sure I could play through it all like that these days though, feels like back playing 'Skull' on my old speccy!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What kind of computer and graphic card do you have, could be one of those. Lots of games have problems with Intel HD graphics on laptops with 2 GPUs, often not realizing that due to faulty drivers the non-intel GPU is never used

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
I've got an aging laptop with an Intel I7-3740QM and a 680M card with all drivers updated. I've tried using the 680 and the integrated HD4000, both with up to date drivers and same result. I've got it installed on a drive other than C, I wonder if it's something silly like that?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I have a laptop with Intel HD4000 and AMD graphic card, lots of problems in the past due to the computer showing its using the ADM GPU, but never actually doing, when I switched to a custom driver (http://leshcatlabs.net/manual_chm/index.html), lots of problems vanished but I'll never buy this shit configuration again. Maybe it's the same problem in your case, or something entirely different. Hard to know sometimes

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
AWESOME SHIT GUYS!

Congrats on finishing Richard and thanks for giving us yet another new Wizardry game to enjoy! <(' '<)

I'm currently playing through your (and the people involved in the project as well, of course) fan-trans of Wizardry Gaiden 4 on-and-off, and now I get to enjoy this one as well. It's a veritable Wizardry cornucopia.

I've yet to play through the 2 Game Boy games of Wizardry Empire though.

In any case, I think what you and Helly are doing, and everyone or anyone else involved as well, is a fucking service to humanity.

Some Wizardry games that are still in moon runes:

- Wizardry: Summoner (Game Boy game, and also a remake of the same game upgraded for PS2)
- Wizardry Gaiden 5: Dimguil (Playstation 1)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: The Prisoner Of The Battles (Playstation 2)
- Wizardry: "Wedge of Life" / Wizardry: "Grand Adventure" (those are Google translations, so, you know) for Nintendo DS.
- Wizardry Asterisk: "The Crimsom Sky" (again, a Google translation of the subtitle) for Nintendo DS as well.

There are more, certainly, but those are the ones that are easiest to get hands on. Unfortunately I think almost all of them, with the possible exception of the two Anime-ish/JRPG-ish Wizardry games on NDS (Wedge of Life and Grand Adventure) are too hard to translate.

I've looked at the Dimguil files and that shit looks impossible to work with, and sadly the Prisoner Of The Battles' game files are compressed and require a tool scripted specifically to extract the files. I don't know yet if the actual text inside the compressed archive is also compressed (two layers of compression), or if it only features archival compression.

I actually spent like 1 entire week trying to translate Wizardry Asterisk as everything was very easy to unpack and uncompress using community tools for NDS games but I never managed to get anything I translated to work correctly or show up correctly in the game. To this day I do not have a clear idea as to why, and it doesn't have anything to do with NDS encryption as I obviously removed all of that. Very weird experience on that game. It's a shame because Asterisk's files are not text-compressed and almost everything is packaged, but not compressed for achival, ergo the games' files are extremely easy to work with.

In any case, I love the fact that the RPGCodex is the undisputed home of Wizardry :D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

(NOTE: Not the latest patch! Video was recorded while Richard and company were still halfway done. However I thought people reading this thread would like to see the game in action.)

Last edited:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
As far as Wizardry goes, Empires I for PC will be next and I might do Inochi no Kusabi as the last project in the series. Been taking a look at this one and it looks easy to work on. I would like to eventually do Shin Megami Tensei NINE for the Xbox as it looks very much doable :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999

Empire 1 is more than half done. All that is left to do is type in Helly's translated dialog/text/etc. Of course, I by means mean to downplay this: just because everything-except-the-dialog is done doesn't mean it's "near complete". I have come to learn the hard way, and I know you know this, that even if you already have a super-duper document with an English translation of the dialog it is still incredibly tedious and painstaking to type all that shit into the game files.

Making sure the words "fit", and formatting everything and double and triple checking that every dialog box is done correctly in terms of the hexadecimal control characters and all that shit is not necessarily hard work, if you will, but it is absolutely tremendously time-consuming and it requires paying careful attention, focus and concentration. Oh, and of course, having no life helps to bang it out too :D

I'm preeeetty sure Helly has not seen, read or familiarized himself with the actual game files that have the dialog for Empire 1, which is of course no problem, but what i mean is that i'm sure whatever translation he sends will require "formatting", for lack of a better word, to hammer it into the specific space that is available for the game's dialog lines.

that's the part that requires over 9000 in dedication and will-power, as it's a very repetitive task all in all and it's very easy to lose focus, or for your eyes to grow tired from hours of staring at hex values, and then when you go play the game/area you find the fucking npc with either an invisible dialog box randomly in the middle of his convo, or worse... the dialog is out of order, haha.

so, definitely looking foward to finishing Empire 1's text, but there's a lot of text to hammer into the thing.

BTW, the Wizardry game you mention: I also looked at it and I even posted in a GBATemp thread from a guy who did some preliminary textures in english for the game's menu-commands and he also posted a few screensshots showing some english.

i messaged him to see what's what but he said he gave it up because it was too hard. i didn't ask specifics.

what about Wizardry Asterisk? i remember once i mentioned it to you and how i ran into the problem of my translated texts not showing up in-game, regardless of what things i did, and i remember you replied that i should forget about that one and that you had looked at it before but it was too hard. You never mentioned specifically why tho?

i think Asterisk would be perfect to fan-trans because it already comes w/ all the enemies, and all of the game's items/gear translated into english via the game's options menu. That's a *ton* of busywork already done!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom