Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry copyright and trademark rights, including 6, 7 and 8, acquired by Japanese company Drecom

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
By a company known for mobile games. https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/dre...nd-trademark-rights-new-title-to-be-developed

Drecom acquires Wizardry copyright and trademark rights, new title to be developed
A new Wizardry cometh.

Japanese company Drecom has acquired the copyrights, as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to the “Wizardry” intellectual property and will develop a new title in the series, the company announced.

The acquisitions include the copyrights to “Wizardry 6,” “Wizardry 7,” “Wizardry 8,” and “Wizardry Gold,” as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to “Wizardry.”

The company said it will keep up its commitment to the acquisition of popular intellectual properties, as well as the development and cultivation of its internal properties.

Drecom is a mobile game developer based in Tokyo. Its past works include Disgaea RPG (co-developed with ForwardWorks), the mobile version of Everybody’s Golf (co-developed with ForwardWorks), Derby Stallion Masters, Chocotto Farm, Digimon ReArise (developed for Bandai Namco), Kirara Fantasia (developed for Aniplex), and more.

Thanks, Games Talk.

Ysaye

Arbiter
So a mobile phone of "Wizardry 7 GO-LD" with pokemon GO style pick random battles, candy crush chest opening solutions and micro-transactions? which scarily sounds like where DW would have liked to take it these days if he was still in the game.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

You

Unwanted
monetization models aside there are too few blobbers for smartphones and they are the kind of old school game genre that would work very well on them

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Believe it or not, there are non-casual free-to-play mobile games, especially in Japan, targeted the "otaku" audience, which consists of more bigger whales. It would most likely not be what Codex would want anyway though.

Well take a look at previous owner(Gamepot)'s attempts at mobile Wizardry games. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry-mobile-games-other-media/

In 2013, Bandai Namco Games published a Wizardry game with the subtitle Senran no Matō (戦乱の魔塔; appears on the English App Store as Tower of the Maelstorm, sic!) to the iOS and Android marketplaces. It looks to go back to the traditional first person dungeon crawling, but seems riddled with free to play systems. Gamepot’s iOS exclusive Wizardry Schema was launched the following year, and somehow someone decided that what Wizardry really needed to drop was the dungeon crawling. It doesn’t replace it with anything, either. The “players” just create and equip their party, then they can read a summary of their adventures every once in a while and buy new stuff and manage their level-ups in between.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Can't get worse than the shit we have seen in the last years when it comes to Wizardry games.

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
Believe it or not, there are non-casual free-to-play mobile games, especially in Japan, targeted the "otaku" audience, which consists of more bigger whales. It would most likely not be what Codex would want anyway though.
the free to play model is pure bullshit

why cant we get a labyrinth of lost souls or tale of forsaken land on a smartphone?

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
New Wizardy title will be released most likely on phone and the international release for such game is going to be more difficult

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Can't get worse than the shit we have seen in the last years when it comes to Wizardry games.

this is good you fag

The last soulful Wizardry game was released 2003, and was called Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo

Everything else after this with the name Wizardry has looked like chinese bootleg shit (except the online game, but I sadly could not play it).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Probably tied with Wizardry's 40th anniversary next year. The PS3 Wizardry, the MMO and all those mobile games were part of the "Wizardry Revival" campaign made for the 30th anniversary... maybe we'll see something similar this time.

Still, you're probably better off waiting for PC ports of Experience Inc games like Yomiwosakuhana.

bec de corbin

Educated

this is good you fag

The last soulful Wizardry game was released 2003, and was called Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo

Everything else after this with the name Wizardry has looked like chinese bootleg shit (except the online game, but I sadly could not play it).

the wizardry mmo was one of the shittiest things i've ever played, fuck off

jungl

Augur
this franchise is wizards 101. Its deader then box of hammers. Watch you are going to get these amazing looking silver and gold chests that graphic wise look next gen compared to the actual game itself. This is where you will have to pony up money for the SILVER and GOLD keys necessary to open them. Half the time the chests will drop langerie and sexy clothes you can dress up the local tavern wench with.

Wunderbar

Arcane
a new game is in the works
By a company known for mobile games.

dissapointed.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good, maybe I'll be interested in the series with more waifus

Excel simulator is only fun with waifus after all

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Japanese company Drecom has acquired the copyrights, as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to the “Wizardry” intellectual property and will develop a new title in the series, the company announced.

The acquisitions include the copyrights to “Wizardry 6,” “Wizardry 7,” “Wizardry 8,” and “Wizardry Gold,” as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to “Wizardry.”

The company said it will keep up its commitment to the acquisition of popular intellectual properties, as well as the development and cultivation of its internal properties.

Drecom is a mobile game developer based in Tokyo. Its past works include Disgaea RPG (co-developed with ForwardWorks), the mobile version of Everybody’s Golf (co-developed with ForwardWorks), Derby Stallion Masters, Chocotto Farm, Digimon ReArise (developed for Bandai Namco), Kirara Fantasia (developed for Aniplex), and more.

Original here: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/dre...nd-trademark-rights-new-title-to-be-developed

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think it's more or less business as usual. Wizardry belonged to Japan for a long time and the previous owner was also a Japanese company doing multiplayer games.

What matters is whether they will license it to other companies for blobbing prosperity. But probably the Japanese blobber developers are doing better off without licensing it and making their own IP that can put more anime-ness (more appeal to its Japanese audience) than Wizardry. So unless the new owner has a strong initiative (for the 40th anniversary as felipepepe speculated?), I don't see we'll see a resurgence like Busin 0, or even something like Labyrinth of Lost Souls.

(I thought about Starfish, the developer of Elminage and Wizardry Empire games, because it was struggling recent years but looks like it's actually closed, seemingly succeeded by a new and smaller company named JoyfulStar.)

Contagium

Savant
Patron
We need someone to create an amazing western Wizardry clone that isn't Cleve. I'm not talking about Vaporum, or newer Bard's Tale or Grimrock... I'm talking a TRUE Wizardry homage with hand painted monsters and minimal everything else. Only reason I mentioned not Cleve is because I'm getting old and want to play something like that before I pass away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom