Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire II PLUS : Oujo no Isan - Legacy of the Princess for PC Translation - Completed!

Deleted Member 16721

Definitely make sure you run a language emulator too or some things will look real off the wall :P

Any suggestion for a Win10 language emulator? Running the latest version of Locale Emulator doesn't help. The text is still really messed up, including dialogue, etc.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Also if you don't want to deal with VM ware stuff, you can also set up a separate partition to run Windows 7. I ended up reverting back to Windows 7 for the reason half my utilities to work on these games dont like Windows 10.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
8Z5iUoM.jpg

xt7KrwO.jpg

N3nrbLp.png

WqtAAlZ.png

Frank would be proud!

Puck Man

Novice
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in the translation/hacking process. And thanks Star Fish for the nice game!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fluent

you can run w7 off a freaking USB drive. Just type in "Windows 7 USB" in the search field inside www.extratorrent.cc :)

once the w7 is up, you don't even need to install anything, just use the FireDrop link I gave you on the RPGWatch thread for this game; the game does not require any sort of installation, just unzip and play.

however you will need to download MrRichard999 's most recent ENG patch from this thread, as the .zip I have on my FireDrop link, the one I linked on the Watch thread, is from before it was 100% english.

Seriously, there is no excuse for not playing this amazing dungeon crawler. You think Elminage is good? You have no fucking idea how good Wizardry Empire 2 is... dude, NO idea.

It is my all-time favorite 'crawler and it was a fucking life-changing experience. In fact, just fucking use partition magic and create a 10 GB "corner" in your HDD and install windows 7 and play this fucking game.

you're literally hurting yourself by not playing it. it's that good. :)

Deleted Member 16721

fluent

you can run w7 off a freaking USB drive. Just type in "Windows 7 USB" in the search field inside www.extratorrent.cc :)

once the w7 is up, you don't even need to install anything, just use the FireDrop link I gave you on the RPGWatch thread for this game; the game does not require any sort of installation, just unzip and play.

however you will need to download MrRichard999 's most recent ENG patch from this thread, as the .zip I have on my FireDrop link, the one I linked on the Watch thread, is from before it was 100% english.

Seriously, there is no excuse for not playing this amazing dungeon crawler. You think Elminage is good? You have no fucking idea how good Wizardry Empire 2 is... dude, NO idea.

It is my all-time favorite 'crawler and it was a fucking life-changing experience. In fact, just fucking use partition magic and create a 10 GB "corner" in your HDD and install windows 7 and play this fucking game.

you're literally hurting yourself by not playing it. it's that good. :)

Thanks man. I have a small USB drive I'm not using so I'll do just that. :)

Epsilon

Cipher
Thought I'd give this a shot, and I'm happy to report. It works great on Linux. All I had to do was install gdiplus in the wineprefix. All fonts looks nice. No microsoft font emulator required wine takes care of it all. it's the standard party though, hence moonrunes.
g3iCDec.png
35QwSiY.png
pmpiQEd.png

rXoUKwh.png

Now to create my own party and immerse myself in this gem :)

Last edited:

Tarrant

Educated
Once again, a huge thanks to the team who worked so hard on this. <3 :D

Got two questions for anybody inclined... or aweigh, since ridiculously experienced. Or whomever.

1) One of my [many] quirks is that I really can't stand knowing the boundaries of a given map -- that is, knowing the level is at or about 19 x 19, for example, just saps my motivation to explore. Dunno why. For this reason, Wizardry V is hands down my favorite dungeon crawler, as you never knew precisely where your exploration was going to take you... or whether you'd truly found everything there was to find.

So: Are there any other games in the series -- or any other dungeon crawlers worth playing -- that follow a similarly unpredictable dungeon design model, but do NOT rely on randomization? (er, I also hate randomization.. heh)

2) Which dungeon crawlers would you recommend for those of us who aren't terribly excited by navigational puzzles? The occasional spinner, etc, is fine, but.. going heavy on 'em doesn't do much for me. I very much prefer other puzzles -- e.g. gotta figure out which buttons to press in which order, finding object A to activate object B, etc. Finally figuring out how to find the Loon in Wizardry V is a cherished memory, for example. :P

Oh, uh.. bonus question I guess.. 3) Between Elminage Gothic (steam), Empire II, or Chronicles... which do you prefer? Looking to start one of them.

Tarrant

Educated
Oh! And one minor thing from earlier in the thread:

Y'all were discussing whether you can run the game in windowed mode. Easy -- just right click on empire2.exe, create shortcut, then right click on the shortcut and go to properties.

In the "Target" text box, add -windowmode one space after the final quotation mark. Run the shortcut and you're good to go.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Gothic doesn't have static map sizes and is probably the best of what you named and the only one I'm familiar with. There are navigational puzzles in some dungeons but they're not THAT complicated (I've seen that kind of shit in SNES Zelda games...)

And while not a dungeon crawler, obligatory Xulima reference because the dungeons are still relevant.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tarrant

i'll go more in depth later but I'll address the most important part of yoru questoins: play the best ones; i.e. Play the best designed, the most modern, the most polished... there is no point in plying these gams by some sort of ladder system.

All of the good ones will always present a mix of the stuff found in the first five Wizardry games, (and above, but just to be specific). I actually played Elminage Gothic waaay before I ever played Wiz 5, and I enjoyed Wiz 5 immensely. The gameplay in turn-based crawlers, of wihch 90% are Wiz-inspired, is simply perfect and rock-solid so the only things that change are the graphics and the UI, nothing more.

If you pay attention to your maps, preferably draw your own for the first dungeon of each game you play (it really helps), OR alternatively on a dungeon you're stuck in, you'll find that looking at the macro view of a dungeon's "layout" will always allow you to guess at where you need to BE, or where you need to GO THROUGH, as the floor's layout/design will be "missing sometihng". It's best way to fnid a hidden door or whatever if you "already mapped the floor".

Laying a floor's map (drawn, preferably) "on top" or "undreneath" the dungeon's other floos, essentially stacking them in "order", will also always clue you in on possible places where you it seems like you should be able to fall down through, or whatever the fuck.

That is why I prefaced this with "play the best ones", bcuase that automatically means dungeons will be, as in classic Wizardry, spatially-corrected.

EDIT: BTW, in terms of ur pet peeve about dungeon sizes... all i can say is redefine your opinion. to put it gently. Wiz 5 for sure did not follow 20x20 but... dude, 70% or more of the dungeon floors are a bunch of wacky wasted space. Don't knw if you know this but Wiz 5's later dungeon floors are almost 60% fluff.

Only the first and fifth and sixth dungeon floors ni Wiz 5 feature proper usage of the huge amount of squares.

Empire 2 beats every single other Wizardry scenario cold, COLD, in terms of the quaity/density/complexity of he dungeons. Not 1 single square is wasted in that game.

EDIT x2: oh, and the game you're really wanting to play, really, is Elminage Gothic. Go head and play it first, Empire 2 can wait. Or play both. Whatever. You'll love the dungeons in Gothic, and there are many more of them for evaluatoin and acclimation than ni Empire 2, which only has 4. (Of coruse of those 4, 2 of them are the equivalent of one full scenario).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wiz chronicle:

the mid-game dungeon from E: Gothic where shit starts hiting fan:

a fun item that can be found in empire 2 (beta patch when video was recorded):

the EARLY game dungeon from empire 2 where shit hit the fan nonstop:

another tre cool turn-based crawler wiz-inspird you should look into:

Pyreen

Educated
First off, thanks alot for the translation, Im really enjoying the game.

Im having the same problem as some others in this thread re. class changing, in my case, I cant change into a lord. The char in question is a good human male fighter, Lvl 14, stats (before love bonuses) are 19/16/18/18/18/19. Tried donating 601k gold to the church, didnt help. Does anyone have an idea if I could be missing any other prereqs? If I have to resort to class changing items, is it known whether the shield can drop while grinding wisps (i.e. can it drop on B1F of the castle)?

Im also pretty clueless about most of the abbreviations concerning monster abilities and resistances. Has anybody translated the manual, or ist there a Japanese copy online somewhere that I could google translate?

Most of the resistances are obvious enough (like VOR being resistance to vorpal i.e. instant death physical attacks), but what are Ps (psionics?), Pa (no clue) and Se (Seal, as in mute status?)?

Monster abilities are pretty much a mystery (apart from the obvious ones like Zzz for sleep and Ma for magic) to me. What do Mn, Hp, Ru, Br(breath weapon?), Fe(fear?), Co, Po, Pa, POI (poison?), Pe, St(stone? or is Pe petrify?) mean?

Finally, I undestand the lower rung of abilities are draining related, with LD being level drain, but what are AD (age drain?), MD, and $D (cash drain i.e. stealing ability?)?

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Courtier

Prophet
You will unlock the classes through play, for most of them there are title requirements in addition to the alignment/stat reqs that you will likely unlock simply by progressing. Without doing anything special I got all of them except the 20+ title ones, so I would just keep going and check the training grounds every once in a while

Pyreen

Educated
You will unlock the classes through play, for most of them there are title requirements in addition to the alignment/stat reqs that you will likely unlock simply by progressing. Without doing anything special I got all of them except the 20+ title ones, so I would just keep going and check the training grounds every once in a while

Yeah, just a couple hours after I made that post the Lord option popped up. I dont have any titles yet and I didnt level up in the meantime, I did grind some wisps though. I think there could be some more obscure requirements like total party XP, individual total XP, number of battles fought etc. at play here.

I kinda wish it hadnt now though, Lords seem to be horrible in this game. He's basically a worse version of the fighter with bishop level spell progression. My sample size isnt big enough yet, but I get the impression that Lords have worse THAC values than same level fighters. At least mine is hitting less often and doing less damage with a swift sword than my fighter is with a cusinart blade (strength and agility are equal). I'll keep him at lord for a bit longer just to see whether there is some class specific equipment later on to make him more viable, but Im not really seeing it atm.

Im also still pretty clueless about the enemy abilities abbreviations. Though I think MD could be magic drain. Too bad there doesnt seem to be a manual online anywhere (at least googling in Japanese didnt turn up anything).

Last edited:

Courtier

Prophet
There is powerful Lord-only gear, I kept one all the way through the postgame. The spells ended up coming in handy too.
I didn't actually beat the postgame though, because the first god-boss was so unbelievably strong I lost all hope. I will get back to it sometime

https://translate.google.com/transl.../babu.com/~dk-second/emp2/&edit-text=&act=url
I would suggest going into the monster list and comparing their google-translated abilities with what you already know. This wiki, the thread we're posting in right now and a couple fansites are all you're gonna find on this game

Pyreen

Educated
There is powerful Lord-only gear, I kept one all the way through the postgame. The spells ended up coming in handy too.
I didn't actually beat the postgame though, because the first god-boss was so unbelievably strong I lost all hope. I will get back to it sometime

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://web.archive.org/web/20050209055847/http://babu.com/~dk-second/emp2/&edit-text=&act=url
I would suggest going into the monster list and comparing their google-translated abilities with what you already know. This wiki, the thread we're posting in right now and a couple fansites are all you're gonna find on this game

That's good to know about the Lord gear, guess I'll keep him. My party composition is hilariously bungled anyway. For whatever reason I decided on a female neutral thief, thinking I would just class change with the Kunoichi item; that worked, but since I only got the Kasya mask at level 17 and forgot to reset her class levels before using it, I now have a level 17 Kunoichi with no spells and 170hp...
Thankfully the game isnt all that hard until now (just started exploring Castle B5), but I'm already planning some major time investment to overhaul my party for the post game (which I think Im gonna attempt since Im really liking the game so far).

Oh and I tried the google translate approach; the enemies have such illustrious abilities as "hemp", "disinfectant", "heh", the arc devil is apparently "awesome", and my personal favorite is "L Dildo spellbreak". It's ok though Im getting the hang of the spell names better and can kinda reverse engineer some of the stuff they're doing.

demilich

Novice
Guys, maybe some update regarding Wizardry Empire I for PC? Is the translation project still goes or put on hold?

Pyreen

Educated
So, I think Im pretty much done with the post game now. Some impressions (bunch of spoilers for the rest of the post):

Dungeon design is mostly excellent. Very "clean", no pointless hallways linking areas together so that you dont get the "theme park" feel of lesser crawlers. A very good example of this would be castle B4, even though the principal design is absolutely theme-based (you have a teleport area, a switch hunt area etc.) it doesnt feel disjointed due to very good overall integration of the dungeon sub-areas. They also have a nice variety of dungeon design principles with some nice use of vertical connectivity, like in Dungeon 1 and 3.

Itemization is excellent. THAC/AC considerations combined with special properties, resistances etc. give broad and flexible party building possibilities and allow you to experiment with plenty of tactical setups. It's not perfect of course, like the spear class of weapons was really horrible and you always had better options at the same equipment tier, and some more parameters like weapon speed modifiers would have been nice, but it's still a really excellent system overall.

The item trading is huge fun and massively addictive (20-25 hours out of the 96 Ive played were probably in the shop), but they probably couldnt figure out how to balance it perfectly; as it is, up to around castle B4/B5 trading is more beneficial than spending the same amount of time grinding monsters (esp. since gold = xp and you can always sell stuff you get via trading that's expensive but useles to you) so you end up with weapons way beyond what could drop at the highest dungeon level you can safely handle, at basically no risk. Starting from castle B6 however trading is basically useless for the rest of the game. Maybe a solution would have been to tie available trading results to your current party level.

As good as most of the dungeon design is, castle B7 and B8 are horrible. I cant remember the last time I saw such uninspired, insipid level design. It reminds me of the final areas of Lufia 2 in how bad, bare-bones and unfinished those levels seem. Aweigh should do one of his comparison picture posts to illustrate how terrible they are compared to the other levels. Basically they're a square inside of a square surrounded and filled out by useless, empty space and useless, empty rooms. At first I thought B8 was like a short break before the finale to give you a breather (you drop from B6 to B8, boss is at B7), but B7 is exactly the same shit. It's such an anticlimax especially compared to the high design quality in the entire rest of the game that it really deflated some of my enthusiasm about the game (didnt even map those floors). Why would you sabotage the final 25% of your final dungeon?

Also, as a first time player of this series it didnt bother me at all, but I watched some videos on Wiz Empire 1, and like Dorarnae said, Empire 2s entire final dungeon is copy/pasted right out of Empire 1. But that's not all. The entire post-game dungeon is identical as well; every tile, every trap, every chute - absolutely identical. So I completely understand his low ranking of the game because of re-using 11/20 dungeon maps, even though it didnt matter to me at all. I enjoyed the final dungeon (which you pretty much have to in order to complete the post game, as you'll be seeing it a lot).

So after those ramblings I have some actual gameplay questions. Mainly, I have no idea whether Im done with the game. What I did so far: beat the Fausts, get his diary, get the key to Rommel, fight Rommel over the diary, and beat Lilith. None of those events indicated any kind of closure to the game, so I'ld like to know whether there's anything left to do? You can fall down a chute in bonus dungeon B3 into what seems to be an empty area, but the only thing Ive found there so far are random encounters with Lilith. Anything else?
Also, what does the item "Statue of Peace" do? The description says it "ContradictsRace (sic)", but it doesnt seem to do anything if I keep it in my inventory, and I cant use it to change my race or anything.

Finally, what's the status of further Wizardry translations? I read that Empire 1 is in progress, but how about Prisoners of the Battles instead/afterwards? It would seem to be an easy translation since everything apart from game text can be switched to English already, everyone who's played it is gushing over how awesome it is, it has a great aesthetic with beautiful music, and it's 100% fresh content. Also it's available for PC. I'ld be willing to help out with proofreading/editing the draft if that's any help.

So yeah, thanks again for the translation, and I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone that hasnt played Empire 1 if you're looking for a crawler with excellent dungeon design, complex itemization and flexible party building options.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
So, I think Im pretty much done with the post game now. Some impressions (bunch of spoilers for the rest of the post):

Dungeon design is mostly excellent. Very "clean", no pointless hallways linking areas together so that you dont get the "theme park" feel of lesser crawlers. A very good example of this would be castle B4, even though the principal design is absolutely theme-based (you have a teleport area, a switch hunt area etc.) it doesnt feel disjointed due to very good overall integration of the dungeon sub-areas. They also have a nice variety of dungeon design principles with some nice use of vertical connectivity, like in Dungeon 1 and 3.

Itemization is excellent. THAC/AC considerations combined with special properties, resistances etc. give broad and flexible party building possibilities and allow you to experiment with plenty of tactical setups. It's not perfect of course, like the spear class of weapons was really horrible and you always had better options at the same equipment tier, and some more parameters like weapon speed modifiers would have been nice, but it's still a really excellent system overall.

The item trading is huge fun and massively addictive (20-25 hours out of the 96 Ive played were probably in the shop), but they probably couldnt figure out how to balance it perfectly; as it is, up to around castle B4/B5 trading is more beneficial than spending the same amount of time grinding monsters (esp. since gold = xp and you can always sell stuff you get via trading that's expensive but useles to you) so you end up with weapons way beyond what could drop at the highest dungeon level you can safely handle, at basically no risk. Starting from castle B6 however trading is basically useless for the rest of the game. Maybe a solution would have been to tie available trading results to your current party level.

As good as most of the dungeon design is, castle B7 and B8 are horrible. I cant remember the last time I saw such uninspired, insipid level design. It reminds me of the final areas of Lufia 2 in how bad, bare-bones and unfinished those levels seem. Aweigh should do one of his comparison picture posts to illustrate how terrible they are compared to the other levels. Basically they're a square inside of a square surrounded and filled out by useless, empty space and useless, empty rooms. At first I thought B8 was like a short break before the finale to give you a breather (you drop from B6 to B8, boss is at B7), but B7 is exactly the same shit. It's such an anticlimax especially compared to the high design quality in the entire rest of the game that it really deflated some of my enthusiasm about the game (didnt even map those floors). Why would you sabotage the final 25% of your final dungeon?

Also, as a first time player of this series it didnt bother me at all, but I watched some videos on Wiz Empire 1, and like Dorarnae said, Empire 2s entire final dungeon is copy/pasted right out of Empire 1. But that's not all. The entire post-game dungeon is identical as well; every tile, every trap, every chute - absolutely identical. So I completely understand his low ranking of the game because of re-using 11/20 dungeon maps, even though it didnt matter to me at all. I enjoyed the final dungeon (which you pretty much have to in order to complete the post game, as you'll be seeing it a lot).

So after those ramblings I have some actual gameplay questions. Mainly, I have no idea whether Im done with the game. What I did so far: beat the Fausts, get his diary, get the key to Rommel, fight Rommel over the diary, and beat Lilith. None of those events indicated any kind of closure to the game, so I'ld like to know whether there's anything left to do? You can fall down a chute in bonus dungeon B3 into what seems to be an empty area, but the only thing Ive found there so far are random encounters with Lilith. Anything else?
Also, what does the item "Statue of Peace" do? The description says it "ContradictsRace (sic)", but it doesnt seem to do anything if I keep it in my inventory, and I cant use it to change my race or anything.

Finally, what's the status of further Wizardry translations? I read that Empire 1 is in progress, but how about Prisoners of the Battles instead/afterwards? It would seem to be an easy translation since everything apart from game text can be switched to English already, everyone who's played it is gushing over how awesome it is, it has a great aesthetic with beautiful music, and it's 100% fresh content. Also it's available for PC. I'ld be willing to help out with proofreading/editing the draft if that's any help.

So yeah, thanks again for the translation, and I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone that hasnt played Empire 1 if you're looking for a crawler with excellent dungeon design, complex itemization and flexible party building options.

I haven't done the second game postgame. but the first game there was a boss (heart of evil or something) and it dropped an item, then you could fight that dragon by using that item.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom