Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire II PLUS : Oujo no Isan - Legacy of the Princess for PC Translation - Completed!

Puck Man

Novice
That's awesome news!
I'm hoping to play through Empire 1 and 2 after I finish Prisoners of the Battles. I absolutely love that game.

Pyreen

Educated
I haven't done the second game postgame. but the first game there was a boss (heart of evil or something) and it dropped an item, then you could fight that dragon by using that item.

You mean the dragon at B3 of dungeon 3? I gave him Nilda's soul to get the key to Rommel. Maybe I'll try using some other stuff on him like the amulet you get from Lilith. Hadnt thought about that cause from what I understand he's like the world's benevolent patron deity or something.

Should have 1 hopefully done around summer! Did you get to the Temple of the Gods dungeon yet?

Yes I have, beat Faust and Lilith, then dropped down a chute in Lilith's room into B4, which seems to be an empty plane with Lilith as a random encounter and nothing else to do there.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Prisoners of Battles & Five Ordeals has encoding unfortunately... Probably wont be doing those but Aweigh did some work on them and may release a partial patch to make it more easier to play in the current state its in.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I haven't done the second game postgame. but the first game there was a boss (heart of evil or something) and it dropped an item, then you could fight that dragon by using that item.

You mean the dragon at B3 of dungeon 3? I gave him Nilda's soul to get the key to Rommel. Maybe I'll try using some other stuff on him like the amulet you get from Lilith. Hadnt thought about that cause from what I understand he's like the world's benevolent patron deity or something.

Should have 1 hopefully done around summer! Did you get to the Temple of the Gods dungeon yet?

Yes I have, beat Faust and Lilith, then dropped down a chute in Lilith's room into B4, which seems to be an empty plane with Lilith as a random encounter and nothing else to do there.

Send Aweigh a PM,he has played the game inside and out. He would know if there is anymore to it.

Pyreen

Educated

Thanks, that was exactly it! You have to give the soul of Nilda to the dragon at the bottom of dungeon 3 and he'll ask you to give it to him; dont and he gets pissed and attacks you. After you beat him he says that your power has transcended human levels and that he'll open the final dungeon for you (which is bs as I had already completed the final dungeon by then). He also gives you the orb of Nilda which is an excellent weapon. After you beat Lilith and get the magic amulet, return to the dragon and give him that, and he'll say that you are too powerful and must die. You then fight him again in a different form, the fight is actually easier than the first form, except for the fact that he can now call allies (more copies of himself). Beat him again and he'll give you a little pep talk about you being so powerful that heaven and earth react to your wishes or emotions.

And that seems to finally be it for this game. Weirdly, you get a title for beating Lilith, but not for beating the dragon (no matter in which form).

Prisoners of Battles & Five Ordeals has encoding unfortunately... Probably wont be doing those but Aweigh did some work on them and may release a partial patch to make it more easier to play in the current state its in.

Ah, that's too bad about the encoding/encryption. I would probably be able to play it with only the interface in English, but esp. since it seems to be such a good game I'ld really like to be able to experience everything it has to offer, with flavor text, quest blurbs and all.

Send Aweigh a PM,he has played the game inside and out. He would know if there is anymore to it.

Good idea, but dorarnae's advice already did the trick.

Puck Man

Novice
Guys do you change classes in the Empire series basically by aquiring items that you then use? Or are there other methods?

Edit: I just started the PS1 version of this game on my psp for something convenient to play while on the go...
But Mondo and his quizes are driving me nuts. Do you need to complete mondo's quizes to advance? What's usually behind the doors he is guarding? Any advice for how to answer in japanese? You just use hiragana when answering or do you have to somehow change it to the Kanji? Or? lol
Thanks

Last edited:

Puck Man

Novice
This is gonna sound retarted... After adjusting the brightness on my monitor I realized the wiki has the answers to Mondo's Quiz. Didn't realize they were hidden there the whole time! Damn what a relief lol.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Puck Man

in both empire 1 and 2 (and 3 as well, for what it's worth) you change classes like in any Wizardry title, but the Empire games (at least 1 and 2 anyway) feature a plethora of items which allow class-changing that normally aren't in such abundance in other Wizardry series games.

from empire 1 and 2 there's a whip which turns anyone into a summoner, there's a doll that turns eeh-vul wimmenz into kunoichi, there is a shield which turns male fighters into lords, there's a buncha shit.

all of the items are also in empire 1. dude, there's a bunch of wikis, at least 3 that I remember, that have been posted in this thread :)

Puck Man

Novice
My problem must have been not knowing the starting requirement stats when trying to roll a certain job. And when I glanced in my guide it said there are intermediate and advanced classes so I assumed you can't roll any of those.
But you're totally right - I need to read all the posts and catch up on this thread and I'll do that today!
Thank you!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the answer to that question, even, is also found within these pages. in fact, I think I even cropped out and pasted in one of the pages in this thread a table (from one of the wiki sites) containing the requirements for all classes/races, as well as a table with the plus/minus bonus for race-relations.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
nice easter egg inside elminage: gothic post-game dungeon...

Screenshot%202016-08-02%2001.25.58_zpszpb1nvxn.png

Pyreen

Educated
My problem must have been not knowing the starting requirement stats when trying to roll a certain job. And when I glanced in my guide it said there are intermediate and advanced classes so I assumed you can't roll any of those.
But you're totally right - I need to read all the posts and catch up on this thread and I'll do that today!
Thank you!

The complete details of the class system are not fully understood yet (well by us at least). For example there are some advanced classes (like Lords) you will not be able to create at char creation no matter what your stats, alignment and race are. What unlocks these classes for eligible chars is unknown. So far the advice that has worked for everyone is "keep playing and they'll show up eventually". Also some of the posts in here were made while playthroughs were in progress and are erroneous, but a bunch of stuff in here is very useful info. So dont get confused. When in doubt trust the wiki aweigh posted.

When class changing think about whether you want to use items or the trainer, since the trainer resets your level to 1 but gets you access to all spells of the levels you can cast, even if you didnt have them originally (so for example if you class change via trainer while only knowing tiltowait, after class changing you will have access to all 4 spells of the highest mage tier). On the other hand, it sets the amount of spell uses per accessible level to 4, whereas class changing by item leaves your levels and spellbook unchanged.

Also keep in mind that the XP required to level up hits its cap extremely early in this game. Going from, say, level 31 to 32 takes just as much XP as going from level 161 to 162 with the same class. This is another consideration to keep in mind when thinking about how to class change.
Finally, theoretically, if you change class with items you would have to earn the entire amount of XP it would take to reach that class level "naturally" before you can level up again (so if you change from thief level 20 to ninja level 20, you can only reach ninja level 21 after aquiring the amount of XP it would have taken to get a char from level 1 ninja all the way to level 21 ninja, losing the HP gains you'ld normally make along the way). There is a trick to cirmcumvent that which I found by accident which is probably a programming oversight.

The game is full of little details like that, some of which is standard Wiz stuff, some of which is slightly modified for the Empire subseries. On the whole, dont fret over the details too much. I made a party in which 5 out of 6 members have a love bonus of only +1, kept a priest (with 4 in all mage levels) up to the end of the post game dungeon and only changed him to ninja so that he could contribute to dragon grinding, my berserker attacks with two shields, my endgame party is at levels 63 to 161, and still can reliably beat the last 2 post game bosses. As long as your party is built "smartly", meaning that it makes sense as a whole unit, you dont have to min/max every single char, you dont need all spells on everyone etc.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i can assure you though that for whatever reason the whip that turns into summoner and a knife that turns peeps into ninjas are extremely abundant (in the areas where they drop). i remember having not 1 but 2 fucking ninjas by post-game, both classed into by using the knife item.

i had a summoner as well whom i changed into by using the whip item. he was originally an Archer (or ranger if you prefer) and he was just so fucking useless i classed him into it.

Puck Man

Novice
There is a trick to cirmcumvent that which I found by accident which is probably a programming oversight.
....Way to leave a brother hanging! Aren't you gonna tell?.. Just kidding! But seriously, thank you for the reply. Lots of great info there for consideration!

Is there a way to save the game while NOT quitting? The only option I see is ESC -> Quit W/ Saving or Quit W/o Saving. I'd like to just save and then continue playing if possible. And no I'm not mania mode.

Pyreen

Educated
....Way to leave a brother hanging! Aren't you gonna tell?.. Just kidding! But seriously, thank you for the reply. Lots of great info there for consideration!

Is there a way to save the game while NOT quitting? The only option I see is ESC -> Quit W/ Saving or Quit W/o Saving. I'd like to just save and then continue playing if possible. And no I'm not mania mode.

Nah, I just didnt wanna post it unsolicitedly since it's something of an exploit. The method is really simple:

Cast Mahaman
or, if the char in question doesnt know the spell
get level drained by a monster

That's it. On changing levels this way, the game "forgets" that you are supposed to gain the total XP from level 1 all the way to your (new) current level and instead switches back to your active classes regular XP progression.
Obviously this is more useful the higher your level is when using an item to class change, and especially during the post game. In my case the first char I did that with went from requiring 32 million XP to needing 285k. This allows him to pull his weight immediately and acquire all of his new classes spells while not missing out on any HP gains/start lagging behind the others in levels (which is extremely important in this game; practically all relevant combat calculations factor your level in heavily; beheading chance, dodging chance, attack order, number of attacks etc.etc.).

You find out which monsters can level drain by looking at the bestiary, and checking which of them have the "LD" highlighted in white.

Re. saving, no, there is no other way. Also note that save-quitting in a dungeon will deactivate all current buffs (levitation, -AC, -THAC, light etc.) and dispel a summoned monster. This is only a concern in the first parts of the game though, when spells are scarce.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
as per Scrooge 's request, a tag.

BTW, Scrooge, this is my (IMO) best Wizardry game, full-stop. The dungeons are better designed than the ones even in Wiz 5 which is normally held up by Wiz-purists as the best in the series featuring great layouts without the intentional "hard-core for the sake of it" quality most Wiz 4 mazes.

I think Wiz Empire 2: Legacy of the Princess (available fully in English thanks to MrRichard999 and Helly) is, as I said, the indisputably best designed/continuation/swan-song of true-Wizardry featuring cherry-picked elements from wizardry 6 such as:

- Expanded races with a few being taken from Wiz 6
- The two SPELL SCHOOLS that Bradley introduced in Wiz 6: PSIONICS / ALCHEMY
- Wiz 6's introduction of dual wielding is present here and the game's brilliant itemization and balance/challenge means it is better implemented than in actual Wiz 6 (which was the first Wiz-game to introduce dual-wielding)
- Features an actual plot and story-line that is not only canon, but (mildly) dovetails/calls-back stuff like the witch Gnilda from Wiz 2: Knight of Diamonds, and even utilizes very well the in-game appearance of the Wiz-god "L'kabreth", here sporting the name "L'reibesu" because Helly did a great translation but lacks autist-knowledge of Wiz-lore so he didn't realize the japs had mangled the Dragon God's name, but it's okey we forgive him
- A lot of actual NPC interaction exactly in the same vein as Wiz 5 NPCs which give options to:
a) Steal from each NPC (there are 2 NPCs, sometimes 1 more, but usually 2, in every game dungeon)
b) charm them and they will actually go on to give either an item (usually nothing exciting) or actual plot/story-line backstory which is only able to be seen via charming them (which becomes increasingly hard as the NPCs/dungeons progress)
c) and finally, aside from the obvious "Talk to them" option, you can also optionally FIGHT EACH IN-GAME NPC and win unique/over-powered loot and tons of XP!

(Yes, exactly like in Wiz 5 and how you could fight the dungeon NPCs there and then revive them, except in Wiz Empire 2 it is taken to the next step with beating these NPCs giving great rewards and at the same time providing the toughest game battles in the entire game, aside from the post-game enemies/Gods).

I simplly cannot recommend Wizardry Empire 2: Legacy of the Princess enough! It is a marvelous fusion of true-Wizardry with concessions to the improvements made by Bradley in Wiz 6 with the addition of races, dual-wielding and the 2 spell-schools he introduced: PSIONICS and ALCHEMY.

CallMeSnek

Novice
Just starting this game, on aweigh's glowing recommendation. Trying to figure out my party plan. Hella complicated; it's really quite overwhelming, especially with so little to go off of.

I've tried looking through the whole Empire II thread, and the japanese sites, and I still can't find much information on how elite classes work in this game. I'd appreciate a few answers:

There appears to be items that change your class to an elite. Does using them unlock their class for creation, or do you need items every time?
Do you need the minimum stats to use them?
Do they reset your stats/level? If so, is it based on race or class?
Are they particularly rare? I remember it took forever to get the ninja item in Wiz 1.

Also, should I try to get in every school of magic, or is it not that important?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"There appears to be items that change your class to an elite. Does using them unlock their class for creation, or do you need items every time?"

"Do you need the minimum stats to use them?"

You don't need to meet special requirements to use items beyond the class, race, gender ones that are part of the Wizardry mechanics. In Empire 2 I don't think you need to unlock any races, but the Sage class is locked behind some ridiculous requirements that I personally never bothered with.

For Summoners, they get new ones when you beat the special demons that you can summon. You have to fight them first, oh and from what I remember all of the summon-able enemies that you fight have to be found first, they're all "hidden".

You might need to uncurse some items, though I can't remember right now if the class-changing ones were cursed. I don't think they were. You just use them in the inventory and accept to "invoke their power".

"Do they reset your stats/level? If so, is it based on race or class?"

Fuck, I can't remember now if your level got set to '1' when you changed into a new class. I *think* so, but the way leveling works in Wizardry games means that you can level up a low-level character back into your party standard relatively quickly simply by having them be in your party and beating your current foes. It's not a big deal.

"Are they particularly rare? I remember it took forever to get the ninja item in Wiz 1."

I remember getting the butterfly knife a lot (one that turns u into a ninja). In fact I had too many of them.

"Also, should I try to get in every school of magic, or is it not that important?"

That's up to you. Generally speaking, most players will have a party with access to all spell schools by end-game, unless they're intentionally not trying to or intentionally using some novelty party.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait, so does the game not work in windowed mode?

The game has no native windowed mode, but I was able to run it in a window using this nifty little program:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/?source=typ_redirect

I wasn't able to run it fullscreen without extreme flickering, so that's quite useful indeed. Works with other games too of course, if you ever fancy playing say Diablo 1 in a window or what not.

I know this is a bit of a big ask given the timeframe, but Great Deceiver do you happen to remember how you got dxwnd to run this ok in a window? I've been trying various options for the last hour or so and the best I can get is a little, immovable window that can't be moved or resized. Looks like it's 800 x 600 but the various resolution options in dxwnd don't seem to work. Wondering if anyone can shed any light on which of the 10 million options in dxwnd might make it work ok.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, so thanks to Gho, the extremely helpful programmer of Dxwnd, I now have it set up exactly as I wanted:

wGmvjLs.jpg

I've copied and pasted the text of his post on the Dxwnd board here for reference in case anyone else had the same issue. Basically, you have to rename the .exe

gho said:
The curious thing about this game is that it seems to restart itself as Wizardry2.exe. This way, if you hook the english translated executable, then it runs the unhooked original japanese version and stays fullscreen. The only way to tame it is to rename the english translated exe as "Wizardry2.exe" and hook that one (you can rename the original japanese just in case).
Anyway, starting from the beginning, here's what I did:
1) the setup installer didn't work, so I just copied the files from the cd \empire2 folder to my hard disk, then I changed the attributes of the folder and files deleting the "read only" and "hidden" attributes
2) I copied the english patch and renamed "Empire2 - V0982 English.exe" as "Empire2.exe"
3) hooked this exe with dxwnd using the attached configuration, that fixes a few issues about the window position & size and mouse.

Klatrymadon

Novice
Also, regarding applocale. I understand it doesn't work in Windows10, so there's a handy program called 'Locale-Emulator', download here: https://github.com/xupefei/Locale-Emulator/releases

After you've installed and set up the LEGUI program, it adds an option on right clicking any .exe to run in the locale you want, (Japanese admin probably).

I can confirm it works and as it says on the translation DL page, without it the cursor position is all messed up. (And so maybe other stuff, but not delved into it really yet.)

Apologies for this really bad bump (and it's for a boring query), but I was wondering if anyone could help me get this translation working properly. I'll try to go through my installations step-by-step in case anyone sees an obvious mistake. I installed the original game fully via the ISO, then applied all the files included in the latest patch to the same folder, and renamed the new English .exe file to "Empire2" and got rid of the old one. I then installed Locale Emulator and in the LEGUI program set the game to "Run in Japanese (Admin)", changed the Location Settings to "Japanese (Japan)", and changed the Advanced Options to "Run as an administrator", "Fake language-related keys in Registry" and "Fake system UI language". When I right-click on Empire2 and choose "Run in Japanese (Admin)", and change the language to English in the in-game Config menu, I still get the problems outlined in the readme file, where the text isn't always displayed correctly and it's a nightmare to enter characters' names, etc. It runs as if I haven't used the Locale Emulator at all, basically. I've also tried another emulator called LocaleSwitch, but this one told me it "can not open nls file" before booting the game in the same state as before. Where have I messed up? (I'm running this in Windows 10, and can provide PC specs if they're at all helpful.)

Thanks a lot!

TigerKnee

Arcane
Just change your system settings to Japanese before installing and while playing the game and change it back to English when you're done instead of using all these Locale Emulator type programs - it's just a simple step in Windows 10 that you can find online easily and it saves you headaches in the long run

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Also, regarding applocale. I understand it doesn't work in Windows10, so there's a handy program called 'Locale-Emulator', download here: https://github.com/xupefei/Locale-Emulator/releases

After you've installed and set up the LEGUI program, it adds an option on right clicking any .exe to run in the locale you want, (Japanese admin probably).

I can confirm it works and as it says on the translation DL page, without it the cursor position is all messed up. (And so maybe other stuff, but not delved into it really yet.)

Apologies for this really bad bump (and it's for a boring query), but I was wondering if anyone could help me get this translation working properly. I'll try to go through my installations step-by-step in case anyone sees an obvious mistake. I installed the original game fully via the ISO, then applied all the files included in the latest patch to the same folder, and renamed the new English .exe file to "Empire2" and got rid of the old one. I then installed Locale Emulator and in the LEGUI program set the game to "Run in Japanese (Admin)", changed the Location Settings to "Japanese (Japan)", and changed the Advanced Options to "Run as an administrator", "Fake language-related keys in Registry" and "Fake system UI language". When I right-click on Empire2 and choose "Run in Japanese (Admin)", and change the language to English in the in-game Config menu, I still get the problems outlined in the readme file, where the text isn't always displayed correctly and it's a nightmare to enter characters' names, etc. It runs as if I haven't used the Locale Emulator at all, basically. I've also tried another emulator called LocaleSwitch, but this one told me it "can not open nls file" before booting the game in the same state as before. Where have I messed up? (I'm running this in Windows 10, and can provide PC specs if they're at all helpful.)

Thanks a lot!

I stopped using Locale Emulator a while ago when it stopped working with a W10 update. The good news is if you use dxwnd to run it in a window, dxwnd has a very handy 'locale' tab you can use to set it running in Japanese. Below is the setting I have and it runs perfectly.

Ox3CVlr.jpg

Klatrymadon

Novice
Thanks very much, both! Unfortunately the dxwnd solution didn't work (I copied your locale options, saved them then ran the game 'hooked'), so I'm thinking maybe my locale changes have been working all along and the problem lies somewhere else. In the meantime I'll try reinstalling it under Japanese settings. Thanks again!

Klatrymadon

Novice
After changing my region and display language, the text is aligned properly and the game's playing beautifully. Thanks again! (Now I just need to figure out how to change 'em back. :p)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom