Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empires 1 - Ikoshie no Oujo ENGLISH Translation Project

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Welcome to the Wizardry Empires 1 - Ikoshie no Oujo for PC ENGLISH Translation Project thread!

563985_front.jpg

CURRENT PROJECT STAFF
MRRICHARD999
HELLY
AWEIGH
Jink640

For those looking to get it working in Windows 10, this might be of help! - https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/general/thread/e405d36864/?limit=25#1c81

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
woops i notice i mixed up main-hand with sub-weapon. katana is is a main-hand weapon. heh, sure am glad i posted this pic or i probably wouldn't've noticed...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I BEEN BUSY. here are some pics: (some of them showcase parts where i fucked up; but it's all easy to fix):

(Supposed to be: BLUNT/WHIP/BOW) :D :D :D

aside from doing about half the item.dat, and... about half the spell.dat i just got plain side-tracked with translating other stuff. mostly as a break away from the mechanical process of the .dat files
and if one of of you guys can give me an alternative name for two things i willl love you forever in a special way:

identify doesn't fit by 1 letter. this is drivingme CRAZY. i won't accept IDENTFY, or any ching-chong broken language variation. Appraise and Appraisal (obviously) also don't fit. I tought about using EXAMINE now that I the traditional INSPECT command has replaced it... and in fact that seems perfectright? now count the # ofletters. AAAAAAAAARGH.

and 2) Lockpick doesn't fit by 1 letter. exact same situation. I have motherfucking THESAURUS DOT COM OPEN RITE NOW FoLKS. HELP ME GOD.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE REALIZED THAT I CAN (AND ALREADY INSERTED) "UNLOCK" instead of "LOCKPICK" MOTHERFUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AMERICAAAAAAAAAAA FUCKKKK YEHHHH JAPANNAANNA

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
seriously guys, this is a goddamn amber alert emergency.

what word do i replace identify with?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
seriously guys, this is a goddamn amber alert emergency.

what word do i replace identify with?

I din't see any synonym that would fit... Maybe "Lore", since in D&D that's the skill that enables identification (but even that is long shot) ?
On the other end ID is a correct and well-known acronym that has the advantage of not steering far from the initial meaning...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i thought about lore but... it just ain't wiz.... but thanks tho

how does this sound?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loupe

A loupe (/ˈluːp/loop) is a simple, small magnification device used to see small details more closely. Unlike a magnifying glass, a loupe does not have an attached handle, and its focusinglens(es) are contained in an opaquecylinder or cone or fold into an enclosing housing that protects the lenses when not in use. Loupes are also called hand lenses.

french dictionary entry:

Definitions of loupe
loupe (wolf )
Translations
feminine noun
  1. (pour examiner) magnifying glass
    the microscope ( figurative ) in minute detail

under scrutiny ( figurative ) under the microscope

2. burr walnut burr walnut

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
2. sous la loupe (figurative) under the microscope

(google english translated) 2. under scrutiny ( figurative ) under the microscope

I GOT IT. i'll use the verb of sous, which is scrutinty in french. and no none of the english variations of scrutiny fit in the space. brb.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fuck that french shit.

identify = 8 chars

RESTORE = 7 chars

we can just imagine he's restoring the item from it's UNKNOWN state :D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
already used analyze for trap inspection, since nothing else fit. but very good suggestion.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
repair! repair! argh no... other wiz games use that to repair broken gear... fuck it. i need to finish this project lol. i'll just use IDENTFY and fuck everything

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hey, for those curious about how someone with little jap knowledge can get the correct naming for game items here's a video of the process of elminination i utilize for ONLY the low-key stuff, like mundane items and gear. I want to STRESS that this video does NOT represent a viable way of game translation. it is ONLY a quick and dirty solution for the countless minutiae in a game's text... just wanted to share it cos i KNOW some here will find it extremely helpful on their own stuff.

(helps if the game in question is extremely popular and ahs lots of fansites...)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
THANKS but i just put in IDENTFY. i have like, a zillion more shit to go through lol. just renaming the monsters... agh... and the greatest thing is... this? all this thread? this is the EASY part. hex-editing in manually the translated dialog.... woooooo boy.... tiltowait indeed. at least richard has me to offload the inserting english text once the dialogs are translated and we can splitt it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I JUST WASTED 2 HOURS STRAIGHT sorry, i just wasted two hours full making an entirely new char-creation "menu" with recommended classes and racial attribute highlights and i kept getting only human, elf, dwarf, gnome and hobbits showing up so i thought after so much time hex-editing... i had fucked it all up and restored my backup.

turns out in wiz emp 1 the rest of the races have to be unlocked thus why they weren't showing up....

super disheartening... but oh well!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I RESscued it :)

btw, fun times, turns out i have to re-do the whole spell list. thankfully now that i know what to do it won't take more than 2 hours and maybe even less. imade some rookie mistakes spacing the text and the game wasn't registering half the spells where i went over the original japanese character limit.

so the descriptions will be very short, ppl :D

HALITO

Little fire / 1-Foe

like that. cos fuck running the risk of finishing up everything and a playtester messagingme that some top level spells don't work or whatever... :)

i especially like my new description for DIOS

DIOS
Heal HP / 1-Ally

haha

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that's my (obviously) PLACEHOLDER TEXT for when you get a random encounter haha

the thrusting one is when u get ambushed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom