Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - now available on PC

arcenierin

Novice
I bought this on Steam then remembered I had made a fair amount of progress on the ps3 version. Trotted out the ps3 version and yeah. I had left off farming gear in Shiin 10. Picked things back up and started fumbling around and managed to loot two Bizen and 2 Murokumo in about 3 hours of play time. I strongly suspect I'll be sticking with the ps3 version now.

Ysaye

Arbiter
After two or three weeks of not playing after getting to the Shiin's dungeon boss (The Tempestus Rex one) but being steamrolled, I decided to give it another go with different tactics. Just for anyone else out there who is a noob like me, doesn't know and was puzzled why they were struggling:

(1) His attacks just have massive damage that you won't soak up even at high levels and make the magic wall/s pointless (which what I was trying to do, and use Big Shield which just killed my Lord as soon as they didn't dodge), but with some okay gear and the Wish spell to increase avoidance you can dodge a lot / most of attacks;
(2) Enemy is a fire and demon based enemy and is weak to water spells. NAL Burst is a fire spell so you are better off using Gas of Despair, Smite (Cleric) or even the 7th level Ice spell (Rain of Something?);
(3) He is not bad at dodging, so unless you have got some overpowered weapon, might as well get your Samurais firing spells
(4) He doesn't have that many Hp, although he recovers about 180 HP per round - I found my Samurais with Gas of Despair were doing about 220 each and (once the Bishops had done their best in terms of keeping people alive and wish spells) he went down in three or four rounds.

arcenierin

Novice
After two or three weeks of not playing after getting to the Shiin's dungeon boss (The Tempestus Rex one) but being steamrolled, I decided to give it another go with different tactics. Just for anyone else out there who is a noob like me, doesn't know and was puzzled why they were struggling:

(1) His attacks just have massive damage that you won't soak up even at high levels and make the magic wall/s pointless (which what I was trying to do, and use Big Shield which just killed my Lord as soon as they didn't dodge), but with some okay gear and the Wish spell to increase avoidance you can dodge a lot / most of attacks;
(2) Enemy is a fire and demon based enemy and is weak to water spells. NAL Burst is a fire spell so you are better off using Gas of Despair, Smite (Cleric) or even the 7th level Ice spell (Rain of Something?);
(3) He is not bad at dodging, so unless you have got some overpowered weapon, might as well get your Samurais firing spells
(4) He doesn't have that many Hp, although he recovers about 180 HP per round - I found my Samurais with Gas of Despair were doing about 220 each and (once the Bishops had done their best in terms of keeping people alive and wish spells) he went down in three or four rounds.

Good looking out. I'll prolly go seeking him out this weekend. My party is pretty decently geared and hovering around the high 20's - mid 30's; I keep multiclassing them for hp gains.
I'll prolly just go thru advancing quests until I get to the point where I can fight him because as best as I can tell, I pretty much have Shiin 10 mapped out and I haven't ran across him yet.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Alright, so, been playing this heavily the past 5 days or so. I'm about 16-ish hours deep and so far I'm having a great time! I'm playing it straight so I live with characters dying and have had 2 killed early that I have since learned from and created new characters to replace them. The game is very good if u like classic Wizardry because each encounter can be deadly. The dungeons are a joy to explore, the lore is interesting (read the bestiary! :) ), everything about this game just hooks me and hasn't let up yet. I expect to pour many more hours into it going forward as it gives u a huge few dungeons to explore at the start, with each floor really testing your mettle as u go forward. 5 stars from me, scratches the Wizardry itch very nicely. :) Cheers! <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Can I just emphasize how *good* this game is?? I'm 30+ hours deep now and it seriously just keeps getting better and better. The game is freaking GOOD, man, can't believe it's been slept on by some blobber fans. Hope u guys check it out because it's a worthy contender to Elminage. It's dangerously good, lol (in that I want to keep playing and playing and playing :P ). Cheers! <3

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Aaaaand... I think I'm done. Defeated the last boss of the Deep Levels and all I have left is one repeatable quest to kill a load of lvl 99 Goblins which seems pretty pointless. Last boss was a big disappointment, went down in three rounds and had no surprises up her sleeve. Wondering if that really is all there is to do or I'm missing something to unlock the 'true final boss'. The Google sheet I linked earlier says not though, so looks like that's it.

Finished with characters all mid 50's, was a cakewalk really. Nothing compared to E:Gothic, but enjoyable enough. Steam says 41 hours and probably around 6 of that was farming in Shiin 10 for a Murakumo that I used for about 30 mins before a better sword dropped in Deep Levels 4!

You can try to beat the post game boss(vampire queen) without weakening her(good luck). wasn't there a dungeon with lvl 80-99ish monster too? been a while since I played but personally I think the hardest stuff from that game and the sequel are harder than elminage gothic.(mostly because grinding is boring/not fast enough in this one)

It's been years since I played but I farmed (alomst?) everything and there was one last level 99+ encounter you could do but it was just some lame Goblins or something. I think there was no point in doing it and my party was like Level 50 and got wiped instantly. So I never bothered. That is my hazy recollection anyway.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Can I just emphasize how *good* this game is?? I'm 30+ hours deep now and it seriously just keeps getting better and better. The game is freaking GOOD, man, can't believe it's been slept on by some blobber fans. Hope u guys check it out because it's a worthy contender to Elminage. It's dangerously good, lol (in that I want to keep playing and playing and playing :P ). Cheers! <3

It might be earlier in this thread but I mentioned somewhere that this is close to my favorite Wizardry style game and I think I got tons of shit for it. This game is really good IMO.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It might be earlier in this thread but I mentioned somewhere that this is close to my favorite Wizardry style game and I think I got tons of shit for it. This game is really good IMO.

Yeah man. It's quickly becoming nearly my favorite Wizlike too, up there with Elminage Gothic for sure. I'm just surprised not many people here have played it or know about it. It's just excellent 30 hours in and I hope I get another 30+ out of it. Really loving it. :)

Machocruz

Arcane
A cozy crawler. The dungeon has just enough detail to sell the setting, but little enough to allow for your imagination to fill in the gaps, which I always like.

Strange lack of catharsis from beating it though, I think because, like someone said earlier, the final battle just kind of arrives. And a couple rounds of Gas of Despair is all it takes. I wonder if the devs ran out of time or budget. I hesitate to say the story should have been more developed, because Wizardry don't need no stinking story, but they tried so they should have went all the way.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
so i'm 2 floors and 2 bosses away from completing the game. filled out the entire bestiary, only got about 67% of the total items thus far, missing quite a few. Got 50 hours and reckon i'll get about 60 out of it by the time i'm done (i'm grinding a bit to try and get an evil party for a quick nina class change, then coin-to-exp them up). Anyway, great game, I really enjoyed it. And I have to say, i honestly want more. I wish it had another 60 hours of gameplay content, because it's so good u just want to keep mapping floors and discovering new monsters and items. :) Really a fanatastic game all in all. Now on to Grimoire... :) Thanks, guys! <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys! :D Just wanted to update and reiterate how GOOD this game is. Turns out I wasn't as close to finishing as I thought. The last few dungeons on the originally-DLC-dungeon, Deep Levels, are TOUGH as nails! Basically it's going to take me another good 5-10 hours to finish that up and then perhaps finish the game entirely, with all major bosses defeated. Steam says i'm 48 hours deep but I think that's a little off. Feels more like 55 or so with the amount of youtube LP videos I have made thus far, but anyway. Yeah, great game. Worth it for The Deep Levels alone! Those are wickedly treacherous. :)

Game on, brothers and sisters! Don't sleep on this one.

duke nukem

Augur
Are the scrolls that you can buy from item shop single use(disappears after use) or can you use them multiple times?

Yesterday i bought this game. This is actually good game. Music are great and love that this is actually challenging game and can actually die in first floor. Chests seems to be quite useless, they give ultra shit loot and the traps are super deadly/annoying. Almost died on first floor to poison, had one hp left when i managed to get into stairs and back to town. (didnt have antidote at the time.)

My party is 1 Samurai, 1 Bishop, 1 Priest and 3 Mages. Samurai seems to be quite useless in third floor, deals most of the time like 1 damage with 2x short swords.

Can you rest or get back your manapoints in the dungeon? I hate travelling many floors to get back town to recharge spells etc.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Are the scrolls that you can buy from item shop single use(disappears after use) or can you use them multiple times?

scrolls are single use.

Yesterday i bought this game. This is actually good game. Music are great and love that this is actually challenging game and can actually die in first floor. Chests seems to be quite useless, they give ultra shit loot and the traps are super deadly/annoying. Almost died on first floor to poison, had one hp left when i managed to get into stairs and back to town. (didnt have antidote at the time.)

nice! :)

My party is 1 Samurai, 1 Bishop, 1 Priest and 3 Mages. Samurai seems to be quite useless in third floor, deals most of the time like 1 damage with 2x short swords.

just looking at that party, u may need more melee firepower. replace a mage with a fighter perhaps, i'd do that. but it's your call. interesting party at least. :)

Can you rest or get back your manapoints in the dungeon? I hate travelling many floors to get back town to recharge spells etc.

no, u have to return to town and rest.

responses in bold! :)

Machocruz

Arcane
By the end of the game I had settled for two samurai, one lord, thief, bishop, mage. One samurai was formerly a fighter for most of the game, but decided to switch in the last couple hours so I could have another gas of despair cast to torch bosses with. Cheap, but I just wanted the game to be over at that point.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys! Had a blast with this game. Finished as much as I'm willing to, the main game was beaten and the DLC, too, except for the
level 99 encounter(s?)
. I didn't feel like grinding for that because the game bugged and never gave me the
repeatable boss fight on the 10th floor of the Dungeon Of Trials...
So anyway, had a lot of fun, 57 hours according to Steam and honestly wished there was MORE content. Really great bang for your buck here, a challenging Wiz 1-3 clone with some modern features, but the ability to play it straight up OR save-heavy is a good choice by the developer so anyone can enjoy it. Recommended. Cheers guys! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom