Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - now available on PC

Morkar Left

I better start downloading my catalog there as long as they are still around.

Martyr

Arcane
I have to admit when I read the thread title "GOG TURNED DOWN WIZARDRY" on gog I thought they had turned down this

32-capture_019_22012012_203202.png

and not *cough* this

Wizardry-Labyrinth-of-Lost-Souls.jpg

but tbh who cares about gog. buy it on humble and you get a steam key plus DRM free version. also probably some money into your wallet. who even needs gog anymore?

Silentstorm

Learned
Does GOG even serve a purpose anymore (other than to facilitate hassle free piracy)?
They sell a lot of classics that Steam doesn't (eg the Gold Box games).
They also don't have DRM and that's about it, and let's not even get into the fact that many people who did not grow up with old PC games tend to not like a big number of old classic games like the Ultima series.

Fine that they want to curate the store, the problem is that their taste may not always be the same as everyone else's and Steam allows everyone in while Epic is paying for exclusives.

Also, the more and more time passes, the less i feel like people care about DRM, the only people i see caring about DRM are retro gamers or people who were playing before digital stores were a thing, i don't think i have seen many kids or anyone born in the 2000's care about Steam's DRM, it's just accepted at this point.

Sad as it is to say, GOG pretty much serves only to get classic and niche games, but Steam also gets all the niche stuff anyways.

On a random note, it's times like these that i am happy i don't mind anime art styles so Wizardry looking like that means nothing to me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
How can they say no to this, when Mary Skelter, another Japanese dungeon crawler with sexual innuendos and more anime, is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This.is.ridiculous. And it doesn't even make sense. They already have a bunch of XSEED games in their inventory already, which I doubt are much better, and aside from that a shitload of shitgames anyways. So wtf, GOG?

And no, I don't want to register on the fucking Humble Store! Humble Store my ass! Too bad I've also deleted my Steam Account... :|

PS: I voted on the wishlist.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh wow, they have mary skelter on there?

that's a (((yikes))) and an (((oof))) from me dawg. They have absolutely no ground to stand on if they take shit like Mary Skelter but refuse this and grimoire.

Silentstorm

Learned
This.is.ridiculous. And it doesn't even make sense. They already have a bunch of XSEED games in their inventory already, which I doubt are much better, and aside from that a shitload of shitgames anyways. So wtf, GOG?

And no, I don't want to register on the fucking Humble Store! Humble Store my ass! Too bad I've also deleted my Steam Account... :|

PS: I voted on the wishlist.
May i ask what's the problem with Humble Store?

They sell bundles, they offer DRM-free versions with keys to other stores and part of the money goes to charity while they get a more modern catalog than GOG, being somewhere between GOG and Steam, honestly, because of the charity part, i didn't even consider that people would hate it or consider it worse than GOG!

Then again, Humble Bundle doesn't have that many payment options.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Since I love "RPG blobbers" I too was interested in this.
Alas... it seems the game doesn't have a constant automap (I could very well be wrong here, but it seems you need to either buy the maps or need a spell to make them work). On this day and age there's no way I'm gonna touch a "dungeon-crawler" without a reliable mapping system.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, it's very disheartening the amount of people I've seen who refused to play Elminage: Gothic because access to the auto-map is restricted to spells or consumables (although you get an infinite consumable map item in the 3rd dungeon).

It's no wonder why they gave you the option to toggle infinite-use maps in the 3DS port of the game.

A lot of people who say they like dungeon crawlers turn out to hate the stuff that makes them good; which, ironically, is perfectly in keeping with how most RPG fans feel about their hobby, to be honest.

EDIT: In retrospect, I suppose all things have a silver-lining: it was because of this that the "modding scene" of Elminage: Gothic even began, as the english-language Elminage wiki opened a Mods Section with an Infinite Map mod, and the guy who did it also went ahead and created an extraction tool for the game files. I learned a lot of useful stuff thanks to that tool and the guy's tutorial on hex-editing E: Gothic files / save files.

I say go ahead and use the Infinite Map mod if it's the only thing preventing you from enjoying such a fantastic game. In the long run it doesn't change much, since, like I said: you can get an optional infinite-use map item in the game's 3rd dungeon.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
May i ask what's the problem with Humble Store?

They sell bundles, they offer DRM-free versions with keys to other stores and part of the money goes to charity while they get a more modern catalog than GOG, being somewhere between GOG and Steam, honestly, because of the charity part, i didn't even consider that people would hate it or consider it worse than GOG!
GoG >> Humble Store because GoG forces DRM-free while the Humble Store allows devs to sell just a Steam key like most other stores do, which is a big deal. That said I'll buy this game on The Humble Store since XSEED provides DRM-free versions of their game.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vote for it here: https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/wizardry_labyrinth_of_lost_souls?as=1649904300

It may be important for fans to start spamming these community wishlists early and often. Not sure how much it helps but it can't hurt.

It doesn't. Take these for example:

https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/hatred?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/grimoire_heralds_of_the_winged_exemplar?as=1649904300

The only way to sway gog once they rejected a game is if you can get gaems jounlolists to join in mocking their retarded "curation". Happened with Opus Magnum, happened with another game (can't remember the name) fairly recently. Thing is, you won't get Rock, Paper, Shotgun or PC Gamer to write such a fluff piece about Grimoire. And gog don't give two shits about what the community says. Their website has been broken for months now, while members of the community created their own fixes within days.

turkishronin

Arcane
Yeah, it's very disheartening the amount of people I've seen who refused to play Elminage: Gothic because access to the auto-map is restricted to spells or consumables (although you get an infinite consumable map item in the 3rd dungeon).

It's no wonder why they gave you the option to toggle infinite-use maps in the 3DS port of the game.

A lot of people who say they like dungeon crawlers turn out to hate the stuff that makes them good; which, ironically, is perfectly in keeping with how most RPG fans feel about their hobby, to be honest.

EDIT: In retrospect, I suppose all things have a silver-lining: it was because of this that the "modding scene" of Elminage: Gothic even began, as the english-language Elminage wiki opened a Mods Section with an Infinite Map mod, and the guy who did it also went ahead and created an extraction tool for the game files. I learned a lot of useful stuff thanks to that tool and the guy's tutorial on hex-editing E: Gothic files / save files.

I say go ahead and use the Infinite Map mod if it's the only thing preventing you from enjoying such a fantastic game. In the long run it doesn't change much, since, like I said: you can get an optional infinite-use map item in the game's 3rd dungeon.

imo the background music is a bigger problem than limited-use maps

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can somebody explain the hate for auto mapping?

Because i see no way it can influence level,class or enemy design,and i play dungeon crawlers because of those factors.

All auto mapping does is just give you a digital way to handle mapping,nothing else.Unless your auto map includes secret areas and other stuff,which is just dumb.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Can somebody explain the hate for auto mapping?

Because i see no way it can influence level,class or enemy design,and i play dungeon crawlers because of those factors.

All auto mapping does is just give you a digital way to handle mapping,nothing else.Unless your auto map includes secret areas and other stuff,which is just dumb.
Spinners, dark areas and teleporters. Three things that used to strike fear into people have turned into minor and annoying gimmicks thanks to automapping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom