Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry... MMORPG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dungeons in Wizardry Online are no mere matter of running a gauntlet through trash mobs until you find an end boss. In fact, the party that runs blindly through it is likely to witness its members' corpses decorating the hallways before too long. Traps abound in dark places, be they jets of fire, poison gas clouds, or razor-sharp spikes. Even the treasure chests, if improperly opened, may spell certain doom -- a familiar scenario for any classic Wizardry player.

:incline:

The faint-hearted need not apply, and the Headlock devs are blunt about your chances: "Wizardry is a very difficult game and delights in killing the player. MMOs today coddle the player, but we're taking a different route. That said, this is a fair game that rewards the strategic and skillful player."

But just how hardcore is Wizardry Online? One word sums it up: permadeath. "When you die, you become a ghost and have a chance to get your body back," the rep said. "But if you should fail, you'll lose your body forever."

But it's better to avoid death in the first place, which is why teamwork and parties are essential to survival (and sanity). Wizardry allows you to create small parties or groups of up to 100 players to tackle dangerous dungeons.
groups of up to 100 players

:o

However, one's ally might quickly reveal him or herself as an enemy, as the game has a full-fledged player-killing system in place. Players can attack each other at any time and even raid each other's corpses.

On top of including permadeath and player killing, Okada's team made the conscious decision not to hold players' hands as they explored dungeons. By removing the minimap and giving players no explicit directions, he aims to encourage explorers to learn to examine their surroundings and actually look at the dungeons they're traversing.

:rage: :rage: :rage:

Bladderfish

Augur
If this was developed by some form of the Sir-Tech crew, I'd be sticking my dick in it. As it is, bleurgh. Even if it defied all odds and wasn't shit, I hate Jap art style. Stupid feckin big-eyed girls and she-males.

Still, perma-death MMO ... think about it. Done right, could make the genre something more than a stagnant dish of piss.

Shannow

Waster of Time
GarfunkeL said:
Comments are gold, carebears crying already.
Well, they have a point. Permadeath and PKing in an evironment that gives more and more advantages the longer a player plays a game make for a lot of griefing. In a system where a noob can beat an old-fag and randomly killing others has more consequences than being considered a griefing asshole it can work. But I know of no such system/mmo. Everything else is just the friendless/lifeless basement dweller's heaven while normal players are at a severe disadvantage and usually have no fun. *shrug*

I'll keep this on my radar, anyway. Liked the teaser, abhorred the screenshot...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why exactly global permadeath? Why not just Ironman-servers and non-Ironman-servers?

And is this real-time? If so, why should I care?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
HAHAHAHAHA
Like hardcore western gamers would play a fucking weeabo game. Suck my dick.

Ermm

Erudite
Can someone explain how Japanese and Wizardry copyrights go together? Did they had some deal with sir-tech back then?

Ermm

Erudite
When it will be released, our own Wizardry enthusiastic's should form a clan of some form, to kick some noobs ass.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, aside from the weeaboo graphics, it looks quite interesting, but being an asian MMO it's probably going to have massive amounts of grind. :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Berekän said:
Well, aside from the weeaboo graphics, it looks quite interesting, but being an MMO it's probably going to have massive amounts of grind. :(

Fixed.

Also: Wizardry 8 is one of the most grind-heavy games I've played.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I thought the definition of grinding is

"Do something over and over to get XP/loot/gold/something".

You never do that in Wizardry 8. It's one of the few games with good level-scaling, so you don't ever need to level up more or anything.

But if you mean that the constant, huge encounters feel like a grind I agree.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jasede said:
I thought the definition of grinding is

"Do something over and over to get XP/loot/gold/something".

You never do that in Wizardry 8. It's one of the few games with good level-scaling, so you don't ever need to level up more or anything.

But if you mean that the constant, huge encounters feel like a grind I agree.

Yeah, for MMOs it's the second definition for grind. Leveling up is itself the goal, so in an MMO you're always doing something over and over to get XP because there's nothing else to do.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
...Then you hit the level cap and start grinding for items to be able to access the high-level dungeons/competitive pvp and get the best gear so you can farm the content to be ready for better gear on the next patch.

MMXI

Arcane
And after months have gone by you are left grinding against your very own hands while staring lustfully at the rear end of a female gnome wearing a funny little hat.

Suicide.

Project: Eternity
Shannow said:
GarfunkeL said:
Well, they have a point. Permadeath and PKing in an evironment that gives more and more advantages the longer a player plays a game make for a lot of griefing. In a system where a noob can beat an old-fag and randomly killing others has more consequences than being considered a griefing asshole it can work. But I know of no such system/mmo. Everything else is just the friendless/lifeless basement dweller's heaven while normal players are at a severe disadvantage and usually have no fun. *shrug*

I'll keep this on my radar, anyway. Liked the teaser, abhorred the screenshot...
Because there will be shadow rooms where items and money are stored between characters, it is presumed that people will have a lot of money laying around, even if their beloved character disappears forever. And, seeing as they've been murdered, they probably want to enact vengeance...
So they log on to "WizardryBounties.net," and post up a new bounty. A screenshot of their murderer, followed by a post - "15,000 gold for a screenshot of this man, dead." Countless people track down the bounty-head, and, isolating him, they slit his throat, rob him of his gold, and collect their payload from a satisfied employer.
I'm sure that the developers will implement a bounty system of some sort, and, if they don't, it will create itself. The best part about "more advantages the longer you play," is "the longer you play, the more scared you are of dying." And killing the wrong person might just put all those months you spent to waste.

malichaixx

Novice
Ugh. The cutesy-poo Anime crap is already taking over the Oblivion modding community. Now it's ruining Wizardry and Might and Magic.

the trailer looked cool though. I might try it out if they have a free trial.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Shannow said:
GarfunkeL said:

Yeah sure but - griefers, PK's and looters did not make me quit UO. The endless carebear-pandering did. Playing UO was exciting when every dungeon-run was fraught with the danger of being ambushed by an PK. You banded up with other players for safety, there were bounties around and massive PvP-scene as well. Then OSI started to listen to the carebears who just wanted to grind ettins for gold so they could buy their virtual castle on that icy plain with the other 3k castles placed right next to each other and LARP weddings and shit. Trammel killed UO! :singletear:

Ermm

Erudite
So, the japs own the wizardry rights? How could they make games back then when Sir-Tech was in business and not being lawsuited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom