Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry New Age of Llylgamyn

bussinrounds

Augur
What about the SNES version vs the PSX one ?

JustJeff88

Novice
My second instance of the sin of thread necromancy, but has anyone had any luck running New Age working on Win 7. I even tried it in the XP Virtual Machine in Win7Pro, and it wasn't even close. Going into the maze, everything is pitch black except for what look like glowing, flickering orange arches. This is true in Win7/XPBox, but in the XPBox the text all looks like little squares, presumably due to a lack of support for Japanese characters. In base Win7, it's mostly in English but the font spacing is messed up and the graphical issues above remain. Any ideas?

yyhung

Novice
My second instance of the sin of thread necromancy, but has anyone had any luck running New Age working on Win 7. I even tried it in the XP Virtual Machine in Win7Pro, and it wasn't even close. Going into the maze, everything is pitch black except for what look like glowing, flickering orange arches. This is true in Win7/XPBox, but in the XPBox the text all looks like little squares, presumably due to a lack of support for Japanese characters. In base Win7, it's mostly in English but the font spacing is messed up and the graphical issues above remain. Any ideas?

If the problem results from the lack of support for Japanese character, I was wondering if anyone tried to run it through "AppLocale".
This tool can be acquired from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppLocale

yyhung

Novice

The lack of support for Japanese characters and the messed-up font spacing can be fixed by using "AppLocale".
The download link for the official release of that tool can be found from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppLocale

There is also a better unofficial modified version with bugs fixed:
Unofficial.zip (MEGA)
https://goo.gl/1ksDr1

Extract Unofficial.zip and EN_Applocale_right_click.zip in it to some folder.
Under XP environment, just install papploc.msi will do.
Under Win7, however, the "C_950.NLS" in C:\WINDOWS\System32 should be replaced with the one in the Unofficial.zip.
For safety, rename the original "C_950.NLS" and then put the modified one in.

If you want the mouse-right-click support,
after installing the papploc.msi,
copy "LocaleStart.vbs" to C:\WINDOWS\System32, and double click "EN_Applocale_right_click_xx.reg" (xx = language encoding you need).
(In this case, EN_Applocale_right_click_JP.reg)
It adds "open file with Japanese" option to the mouse right-click menu.
Now through right-click menu you can run New Age with full support for Japanese characters.
And the messed-up font spacing is also fixed.

Virukansu

Literate
Apologies for thread necromancy, but could any cool bloke share their copy of either game's windows version? It seems to be so obscure there are no gameplays of it on youtube and I have a morbid curiosity for weird ports like that.

Virukansu

Literate
So I've heard. However I still have a morbid curiosity and also kinda wanna try them out for documentation's sake. I'll be visiting Weebland this year but even there the windows version is pretty difficult to get hold of.

Twizman

Scholar
New Age of Llygamyn Wizardry V (PSX) is my favourite Wizardry game, and one of the best rpgs I've played. Having put considerable time into the SNES version as well, there are big differences excluding aesthetics: you have access to an automap, and the menu UI is significantly easier to use.

I enjoyed filling the tiles in the automap, and I believe the map can really help people with less sense of direction, or inclination to draw maps (Wiz V levels are very large compared to many games in the series). My personal preference was to play with wireframe graphics, as it sped gameplay up and moreso I didn't like the polygonal view.

To set English: go to config and move the top four settings to the right. :D

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think he knows that, he just wants to play the buggy win port, which is windows based, meaning individual parts of the screen can be moved around

wizardry1-comp2-win.jpg

wizardry1-win-1-480x360.png

Virukansu

Literate
Yeah yeah, I'm well aware of the psx version and how to switch to English, again, was curious about the windows version since it's so obscure. Thanks anyway!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
New Age of Llygamyn Wizardry V (PSX) is my favourite Wizardry game, and one of the best rpgs I've played after finishing it a few years back. Having put considerable time into the SNES version as well, there are big differences excluding aesthetics: you have access to an automap, and the menu UI is significantly easier to use.

I thought that hey had the same map system. Does PSX version have any other automap aside of DUMAPIC?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which version of Wiz 4 do you consider better. Classic or arranged? I have seen that arranged has party size of 6, and that you have more control over your monsters.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Which version of Wiz 4 do you consider better. Classic or arranged? I have seen that arranged has party size of 6, and that you have more control over your monsters.

I think most of us here have played (well, survived a few levels, not many people who did reach the end) only the classic version of W4, only few Jap-speaking Codex members around.

BR4ZIL

Novice
Hey folks... doing some *mild* necroing here, anybody could share the link to the game (Llylgamyn Saga)?

The only one i found is seemly just a zipped install of the game, which gives me errors all around when installing both the patch and the english translation, so i figured someone here probably has the proper CD Image of this game. I am trying to run them all under Win95 and JP localization.

It is also my first contact with the Wizardry series, hopefully they will be enjoyable! :D

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
just play the PSX or the SNES versions, they should be easy enough to find

BR4ZIL

Novice
just play the PSX or the SNES versions, they should be easy enough to find

From what i have seen the Windows version has a much better interface, no? Besides i usually prefer the PC versions than emulating stuff :)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
PC version has a terrible interface (my preference is always for fixed GUIs over moveable windows) and lots of bugs

That said, you can easily play the original PC release in CGA, but even then you have the strange exp bug for W1-3

BR4ZIL

Novice
PC version has a terrible interface (my preference is always for fixed GUIs over moveable windows) and lots of bugs

That said, you can easily play the original PC release in CGA, but even then you have the strange exp bug for W1-3

Yeah, i tend to like Moveable windows, loved it in Pathways into Darkness, Ultima and such games. Hopefully someone has a CD image of it somewhere, even if i end up not liking it, i would at least be able to compare it more with the console versions.

I wondered about the original release, but i feel strangely compelled to try the "latest" interation of the game instead of the very first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom