Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry VII - fail states?

I’m curious if there’s a major fail state in Wiz 7. I’ve heard rumors about an NPC who can steal items without being caught, but I’m not sure if it’s true. Can you provide any insight?

It can be difficult to determine the accuracy of information about Wiz 7.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I’m curious if there’s a major fail state in Wiz 7. I’ve heard rumors about an NPC who can steal items without being caught, but I’m not sure if it’s true. Can you provide any insight?

It can be difficult to determine the accuracy of information about Wiz 7.

There is one NPC though, who, if he gets his hands on a map, you will not be able to buy it from him or kill him for it because the options simply won't be available for either. He'll talk to you briefly, and then disappear, no matter how many times you go to him. That specific NPC is Don Barlone. In fact, the one map you do not want to fall into Don Barlone's hands is the Legend Map. The other maps provide vague info and hints, but the Legend Map actually acts as a physical key during the last parts of the game. Should this happen, your one recourse is to try to use an item editor on your savegame to give yourself the map, along with all the risks that entails. So, I grab it now while I can.

from https://sorcerers.net/Games/Wizardry/Wizardry-7-Walkthrough/areas/new-city.php

Never happened to me, so I can't verify it, but it sounds plausible

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Also heard you could ally with his race and he becomes accessible.

Stupid outdated information lol

Like any reasonable complex game there are edge cases that become bugs, so the situation sounds plausible but who knows. No NPC party got the Legend map before I got it on my first playthrough and I did only get to it after doing a big tour of the world. Maybe I just got lucky. The next time I played through W7 I went to it first since I heard the rumors about NPC parties getting their hands on the Legend map. Not impossible to get back like maybe with Don Barlone but cumbersome nonetheless, as some of the NPC parties you don't really meet too often, so I didn't leave anything to chance with the Legend map.

Some believe that if Barlone has the Legend Map, it is impossible to get, but if you ally with them, you can buy it with the rest of their treasures or defeat them in hand-to-paw combat.

from https://www.crimsontear.com/game-guides/wizardry-7/walkthrough

Huh, never heard of this despite having completed the game ~5 times over. Seems like an extreme edge case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom