Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizards and Warlords - indie turn-based strategy game in randomly generated fantasy world

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Tom Baker's Arse, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Tom Baker's Arse Savant

Tom Baker's Arse
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Looks like the ambition is a mix of Civ, HOMM and others. They have more info on their site: https://wizardsandwarlords.net

I have seen no combat video at all, leading me to believe it is not yet implemented.

If you like this type of thing, best to look at Battle Brothers at this point.

^ Top  
  3. Ludovic Valravn Games Developer

Ludovic
    Hello, I made this.

Combat is implemented, but is a non-interactive simulation at the moment. The game is very much in Early Access, and while it is certainly playable and constantly being updated and improved, I want to stress that many players might not find the game enjoyable at this stage. Getting on board now is for players who want to help test, give ideas and help refine the mechanics designs. I could rant on about what the point of this Early Access is, but I need to get back to the development.

I wouldn't really compare this to Battle Brothers, btw - the vision is a game blending grand strategy, 4X and some aspects of rogue-likes.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll answer them as soon as time allows.

• Brofist x 15
    • Informative x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Tom Baker's Arse Savant

Tom Baker's Arse
    The roguelike elements of this title are what attracted me to it in the first place. Will be keeping my eye on the Steam forums, and purchase depending on how the reviews are over the next while. Thanks for the reply, Ludovic !

^ Top  
  5. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Tell me Ludovic, what do the traits Homesexual, Hedonistic, Bisexual, Lusty and other such traits do? I can understand how 'true grit' for example might impact combat, events or interactions as you describe traits will do, but what does homosexual do do exactly?

^ Top  
  6. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Gives you extra brotherly love, so your units fight better as a team. Cuz of the gay seks. Like the Spartans.

I assume.

Ok, I hope. Fuck you guys. No homo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ludovic Valravn Games Developer

Ludovic
    Sexuality affects targets romance events. Lusty, Hedonistic and Chaste affects various events.

• decline decline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Ugh, romance sucks dude. I'm actually kinda disappointed.

Do you enjoy romances in rpgs Ludovic? Serious question.

I just never see the appeal tbh.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ludovic Valravn Games Developer

Ludovic
    I don't usually enjoy romance particularly in story/party rpgs. It's usually hamfisted, awkward and makes me reach for the "skip-cutscene-button" so I can get back to murdering and looting. That being said, in something like Crusader Kings, I think it's pretty funny a lot of the time. In Wizards and Warlords, the point of romance isn't to create a digital romance novel or similar, but to include the fact that romantic and/or marriage is an important part of the narrative fabric. And if you're bad guy, so is kidnapping people and locking them in your torture dungeon (NYI).

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Does it feature rape?

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Corporate_Jew_Master Arcane

Corporate_Jew_Master
    yes this

Ludovic

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ludovic Valravn Games Developer

Ludovic
    Not at this time and I don't know when or if it will get added. Personally I don't mind brutality and "realism" (to the extent that there is realism in a fantasy game) in story lines and events, but to accommodate those of a more sensitive disposition such content (rape, genocide, incest, torture, etc.) may be hidden behind a game setting. There is one for 'silly' events already (like witches living in gingerbread houses, etc.). Either way, once the modding support is expanded, people can add whatever events they want.

• decline decline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Corporate_Jew_Master Arcane

Corporate_Jew_Master
    You add homo romance but not rape? What the fuck

• Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Yeah what the fuck is the point of being homosex then.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    That actually sounds pretty cool.

^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Sounds cool. How would this compare with the Dominions/Conquest of Elysium series?

^ Top  
  17. Ludovic Valravn Games Developer

Ludovic
    Insanely late reply, but it is similar in a lot of ways. Turn-based, indie, randomly generated worlds, a general focus on map-painting (even though I'd like to have more alternative win conditions down the road) - no multiplayer support at this time, though, and a ton of other issues to chew through before that. This thread probably belongs in the Strategy forum rather than this one. If a mod could move it, that'd be nice.

The graphics were updated recently and the map now looks a lot better. Related to the talk earlier in this thread, the romance content (which is just a few random events) is now also a optional game setting for those who don't want that kinda stuff in their world conquest simulator (along with 'silly' events, which include an event chain about a demonic Santa Claus and raiding his workshop for loot). Torture isn't in yet, but as of the latest patch there is a spell to steal and hoard souls, which will be used for Demon and Dark magic related mechanics in future updates. There is also a visual battle resolution engine where little unit icons run around and try to murder each other while you fling magic at them.

Note that despite the progress it is still in early access, which means bugs and lots of placeholder assets/content/mechanic. But I'm pushing out updates as fast as I can. Next up is a better population model for cities tracking various "pops" like warriors, slaves, artisans, rabble, townsfolk, clergy, etc. This should make cities more interesting and allow for better modelling of concepts like slavery, mixed race/culture (a human slum district in a dwarven city, goblin rabble ruled by orcs, etc.). After that is more work on battle resolution.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kruno Arcane Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Kruno

It's out, and it looks very interesting. Anyone playing?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. barker_s Cipher Patron

barker_s
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex
    Haven't played it in a while, so I cannot comment on its current state, but DasTactic has started a Let's Play recently, so you might want to check that out:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    actually looks pretty good, have only watched 10 minutes on youtube, after I saw the game on steam, and then I came here to see if anyone had posted anything about the game yet, but the world creation is incredibly detailed it appears and it changes for each game.

Want to see what the combat is like, but the game itself looks fairly complex and good to me so far, will keep watching, so far pretty impressed with it. Like the graphics, and they are well done IMO. Will probably end up getting this I am guessing, even just to support people making games like this, but I think I am going to enjoy it too from what I am seeing.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    ^ Top  
  21. Tom Baker's Arse Savant

Tom Baker's Arse
    Am following Das Tactics' series of vids on YT on this title. So far it looks quite good, although documentation is an Achilles heel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Ludovic Valravn Games Developer

Ludovic
    Combat is a bit of a glorious mess right now. Some of the more grognardy players (in a good sense) are helping me sort out if the mechanics make proper sense, plus nail down various bug. I'm also working at making the battle UI actually convey the simulation underneath (which is at the level of each individual grunt and monster, but from the UI it looks like dicerolls at the unit level). I'm a stubborn sort, so I'll keep hammering away and making it better. I don't have the resources to make battles a full mini-game but I want to make them more memorable and interactive, to the extent that I can.

Those who play these games primarily for the combat are probably not going to like the game as it is now, so if that's your main thing, then I'd suggest waiting a bit. Or getting it now if you want to support me, so it can get better faster.

I'll try and keep an eye on this thread, so I can answer some question, read constructive criticism and enjoy a bit of abuse now and then. I'm stretched a rather thin doing post-release support, working on the next patch and answering questions, so I might not catch everything.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Van-d-all Erudite

Van-d-all
    Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
    The game looks very interesting, will have to cut some time from Shadow Empire and play it.

^ Top  
  24. Tom Baker's Arse Savant

Tom Baker's Arse
    I think I too will to cut down on my Shadow Empire time to fit this title in. It looks too good.

^ Top  
  25. Orald Novice

Orald
    This looks right up my street and I bought it to support the developer but I think I'll let it bake in the oven a bit until it is properly documented. Learning obtuse game mechanics through trial and error isn't something I have time for right now, but I think that this game could develop into something very good. Amazing at this point given it is a one man operation.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.