Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizard's Crown

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Saxon1974, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Ladonna Arcane

Ladonna
    Yeah, I am interested in seeing how these pan out. I have never played RPG's on mobile platforms before, so I will reserve judgement until I then.

^ Top  
  2. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    My speculation is guesswork at the moment. There is always a chance for a new release of the game, a remaster of some sort, or something totally out of left field. I have not inquired the company besides giving them my best figures for a pending novella release. They know what I'm doing, so there is a chance they'll advance their plans to take advantage of my work.

^ Top  
  3. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    The best version for ST emulation is 3.2. I tried a higher version, and it does not seem to work even with different options. 3.2 is a version before newer things were added. Save states are available, but it seems a bit static since once I save a state the exact same thing happens with no randomization. This puts a serious dent into the playtime since you really want emulation that can save and load states quickly. Atari 800 Win and the Apple emulators do this. ST emulation seems like save states are best for reloads and not character improvements. This may only apply to Wizard's Crown.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    I tried a higher version of the ST emulation, but the same static part applies for save states. I really don't feel like going into the file every time to save data using a hex editor.

EDIT - I am sticking with STEEM 3.2 and it does have an option to fast forward the emulation. I can do a reboot in about a minute for character improvement. Due to no sequel on ST, I'll check out the beginning part of the game to determine differences although I really can't recommend the ST version even if it is the most advanced. The previously mentioned AppleWin is by far the best bet. Its save states are seamless, and it has a bug where your fights always last long at night so this means a quicker game completion.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    ^ Top  
  5. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    I got ambushed rescuing the girl, but this is a risk for any day 1 party. I had to revert to a previous save since one of my characters was killed but I did have two successful encounters that gained me enough experience to improve the characters. Aside from the ambush, at the moment the encounter difficulty seems pretty much the same. Now the ST version does have good graphics and the mouse driven interface is actually pretty good. A better comparison would be once I get around game day 10. This is a way to do a decent comparison without a huge investment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    So, I managed to JUST sneak in my novella based off this game on 7/31. Unfortunately, it is available ONLY via Amazon. I have both paperback and Kindle versions available and the title is called Wrath of the Wizard's Crown. I'm pretty sure the marketing is up to me now, but I'll check with the people I worked with to get it published.

Now I did progress just a bit in the ST version. It's still early to tell, but the random generator was quite nice to provide me a few good treasures to sell along with a fine flail. I'm changing my skill progression since the experience costs get high past 150 and you're better off developing your offensive potential. A weapon skill of 100 is not a huge experience sink and then I put my experience back into the skills I am developing(Haggle, Search, and Evaluate). I already have Haggle and Evaluate at 150 and less than 10 morale loss.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TigerKnee Arcane

TigerKnee
    How many random battles did you write into it.

^ Top  
  8. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    The group runs into rats, and that is considered a random encounter. Plus, I did have to include the party versus trolls instead of thugs when rescuing the girl. It's not a straight telling from the game itself. I have deviated in an attempt at a better story.

^ Top  
  9. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    I'm still not done yet with the first game day on the ST version, but I find it interesting that the random generator is so generous. I found a +1 scimitar, and to the best of my knowledge I have never found a magic weapon on the first game day. Usually, you'll find your first magic weapon within the first 5-10 game days. A lot of this is no doubt just luck and your mileage will vary.

^ Top  
  10. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    The ST version has ambushes by enemies more often. Even with a decent scan skill, I tried against rats as an experiment and more often than not I'm ambushed even on the easiest difficulty. It is possible that the game is basing ambushes off the point person's dexterity as well as the Scan skill.

^ Top  
  11. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Kind of sucks Eternal Dagger didn't come out on the ST. I had a pretty smoking group on my c64. I can't recall but I think you could reset dungeons. Was pretty bored so I'd just regrind areas. An ST ED would have been cool. DOS was fine for the load speed and it isn't like there is a lot of sound & music. There are scant vids on youtube and I saw no OST so probably nothing.

The Eternal Dagger 1987 Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64 Strategic Simulations, Inc. ...

Wizard's Crown 1986 Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS

I still haven't tried this out yet:
    https://www.wargamevault.com/m/product/365381

[​IMG]
    I'm rather curious how well this plays.
    https://archive.org/details/commodore-power-play-18/page/n23/mode/2up

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.