Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

It's good to see Team Ninja doing well, they are genuinely one of the more talented Japanese game studios.
Their new IP seems to be set in the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

Also:
卧龙 - wòlóng
lit. hidden dragon
fig. emperor in hiding

(if we talk about human being):
outstanding person who lives in solitude
undiscovered talent

This is also the nickname of Zhuge Liang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuge_Liang

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From director of Nioh and Producer of Bloodborne: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/12/xbox-and-bethesda-games-showcase-recap/

Enter the Dark Fantasy World of Team NINJA’s Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

A joint creation by Team NINJA producers Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh) and Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne), Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty follows the dramatic, action-packed story of a nameless militia soldier fighting for survival in a dark fantasy version of the Later Han Dynasty where demons plague the Three Kingdoms. Players will fight off deadly creatures and enemy soldiers using swordplay based on the Chinese martial arts, attempting to overcome the odds by awakening the true power from within when Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty launches in early 2023.

Coming to Xbox Series X|S, Windows PCs, Day One on Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, and via Xbox Cloud Gaming.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
me hearing this announcement:

ya-boy-kongming.gif

Suicidal

Arcane
So what are you guys hoping for with this one:

1. They just make Nioh: 3 Kingdoms, with the same old systems, warts and all, with some changes here and there.
2. They make something different like how Sekiro was to Souls, but there is a risk that the game becomes more simplified in the process.

Knowing how Team Ninja has been operating recently, 1 is the more likely option, but since there's a producer from Bloodborne on the team and the fact that it's a new setting and new IP, maybe this will be opportunity for a more radical departure from the previous games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i'd rather mioh 3 but chinese but I wouldn't be opposed to open level style ala dark souls / bloodborne instead of closed level with repeatable missions. doesn't matter still the best announcement on this event, almost cured me of dragon's dogma blues

anime-dance.gif

vibehunter

Learned
Really happy about this one. Nioh 2 spoiled me on melee action systems in games. I'd be content with a Nioh clone in the China setting but I'm down for anything Team Ninja puts out.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At first I was a bit saddened by this since I had heard rumors that the next game by the Nioh devs could be set in ancient Ireland. I thought that being Chinese would make it too similar to the feudal Japanese setting which I am admittedly getting a bit tired of. But I have come around to embrace the 中國 kino since Team Ninja has not done me dirty with their ARPG gameplay so far. I'm still worried that they chose the setting to recycle as many resources from the Nioh series as possible (and their Dynasty series as well), but we'll see. Should still be fun to play at the very least.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

A new dark fantasy Three Kingdoms masocore game from Team NINJA, the developers of Nioh.

A dramatic, action-packed story of a nameless militia soldier fighting for survival in a dark fantasy version of the Later Han Dynasty where demons plague the Three Kingdoms. Players fight off deadly creatures and enemy soldiers using swordplay based on the Chinese martial arts, attempting to overcome the odds by awakening the true power from within.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is developed by Team NINJA, famous for their dark Sengoku action RPG series, Nioh, which has shipped over 6M units worldwide. Fumihiko Yasuda and Masaaki Yamagiwa are leading the project as the two producers for this title.

1. Demons in the Kingdom
A dark fantasy set during the chaotic Three Kingdoms period, the narrative vividly tells the tale of a militia soldier’s strenuous fight for survival during a Later Han Dynasty infested with demons. It’s madness in the Three Kingdoms like never before!

2. Awaken the Power Within
Defeat deadly enemies to boost morale and awaken the power from within! Overcome adversity through unique new strategies, including battle styles based on the “Five Phases”.

3. Live by the Sword
Renowned for ruthless strikes that can change the tide of battle in an instant, sword practitioners of the Chinese martial arts gracefully change pace as they shift between offensive and defensive maneuvers. Overwhelm opponents with a flurry of force in a series of intense and bloody battles while learning the precision and skill necessary to become a true master of the sword.

For more information about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, visit the official site.

- You can jump
- Faster-faced combat
- There are some itemization but it's much less about loot than Nioh games
- Multiplayer system is similar to Nioh 2
- Character customization, also similar to Nioh 2

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
From the description it sounds like it will be more different from Nioh than Final Fantasy CHAOS was.

Machocruz

Arcane
The comparison to Souls is really being stretched thin at this point. Nioh already stands enough on its own afaic. It's two major features, combat and loot, can be credited to TN themselves and Diablo 2. Souls gets a lot of praise for level design, and it is deserved, but because it is well crafted not because it was ever original or unique. So far this sounds even less Souls-like to me, so.

Sjukob

Arcane
Overcome adversity through unique new strategies, including battle styles based on the “Five Phases”.
So you'll have to ki flux 4 times now or what?

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
The comparison to Souls is really being stretched thin at this point. Nioh already stands enough on its own afaic. It's two major features, combat and loot, can be credited to TN themselves and Diablo 2. Souls gets a lot of praise for level design, and it is deserved, but because it is well crafted not because it was ever original or unique. So far this sounds even less Souls-like to me, so.

If they make this game more action-y and less RPG (as it sounds like from the interview) people are gonna be calling it a Sekiro rip off instead.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
probably.

i watched the ign interview, but the translation are still quite ambiguous.

it's not open world, but the level will be bigger as the game "open up" it's not clear if it will be stage based like nioh or seamless exploration like dark souls

not as much loot, not everything will drop weapons, but there is also multiple types of weapons unique to the iconic heroes of 3Kingdom (then a shot of lu bu's silhoullete with his huge halberd/poleaxe thing) but still have an element of randomness/replayability (it still can be random drop but only bosses/miniboss drop them instead of mobs, or it can be souls-style drop idk. "randomness" can probably means variety.

character creation confirmed

morale-based battle system. maybe it's like some skills in nioh where you kill enemies and it buff you, but expanded. maybe killing the strongest enemies inside a mob will demoralize the other and give you masive buff, incentivizing the players to be even more aggressive than nioh.

shorter combat duration, maybe more lethality so like sekiro? dunno but i like what i am hearing so far

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
One day there will be game being set in classic historical Chinese setting that's not 3 Kingdom, but that day isn't today. Something like like Qin unification and the fall of Qin is criminally underused in spite being also extremely prominent.

From the trailer it seems that the game will start during early fall of Han dynasty. The people the MC(?) is fighting are wearing yellows which is pretty common for the Yellow Scarves/Turban. The bearded unkempt haired man that turn into a dragon(?) is also a pretty popular depiction of Zhang Jiao as per Koei Tecmo ROTK and Warriors series.

I do like the vibes. Framing romantical historical event with additional of mythical aspect is always nice much like NiOh and Onimusha.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom