Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One day there will be game being set in classic historical Chinese setting that's not 3 Kingdom, but that day isn't today. Something like like Qin unification and the fall of Qin is criminally underused in spite being also extremely prominent.

From the trailer it seems that the game will start during early fall of Han dynasty. The people the MC(?) is fighting are wearing yellows which is pretty common for the Yellow Scarves/Turban. The bearded unkempt haired man that turn into a dragon(?) is also a pretty popular depiction of Zhang Jiao as per Koei Tecmo ROTK and Warriors series.

I do like the vibes. Framing romantical historical event with additional of mythical aspect is always nice much like NiOh and Onimusha.
There is always detective Di

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
One day there will be game being set in classic historical Chinese setting that's not 3 Kingdom, but that day isn't today. Something like like Qin unification and the fall of Qin is criminally underused in spite being also extremely prominent.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fate Seeker games are early Song dynasty.

I guess you can argue that Wuxia is a historical fantasy altho the theme and narrative are rarely concerning historical event per se. I haven't played Fate Seeker as combat seems to be a clickfest Diablo? But it's on my wishlist

Surprised they don't just take this new formula they're good at and do a new Ninja Gaiden in that style. Not like the new Ninja Gaiden games were like the original arcade game anyways. It's weird they've just let what was once Tecmo's biggest series basically die. It's been almost ten whole years now since their last one.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I wouldn't say they let it die
They did port the trilogy to steam last year (possiblt to renew their hold on the license and gauge some interest) and the Nioh games do have call backs to the hayabusa ninjas
And when you think about it, they spent 10 years making increasingly less profitable (and mechanically worse) Ninja Gaiden games - no wonder they wanted and needed to make something new

I wouldn't say they let it die
They did port the trilogy to steam last year (possiblt to renew their hold on the license and gauge some interest) and the Nioh games do have call backs to the hayabusa ninjas
And when you think about it, they spent 10 years making increasingly less profitable (and mechanically worse) Ninja Gaiden games - no wonder they wanted and needed to make something new

They haven't made a Ninja Gaiden since 2012. That I'd say is just letting it die. They tried making one after Tomonobu Itagaki left, it sucked, and they haven't tried another since. In the meantime however, what was left of Team Ninja have figured out their own thing, yet they haven't applied it to any iteration of Ninja Gaiden.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The levels looks more expansive and detailed than ever
And the trailer seemed sligthy focused on the magic - possibly meaning they also expanded those systems

Suicidal

Arcane
Visually looks like a quite a big improvement from Nioh. Hope the gameplay will be on par. Actually very excited for this.

hackncrazy

Savant
Well, both Nioh and Nioh 2 are great games, but if this one is as good as the trailers makes it looks, it will probably be THE DEFINITIVE souls-like experience.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's already superior to Nioh for being more visually coherent. I hated all the glitter, glow, auras and effects in those games.

Jinn

Arcane
Looks so fucking good. Easily in my top 5 most anticipated releases.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
WTF? I've been skimming over anything on this game because I was sure it was that 'you are the monkey' souls-like TP action game, turns out this is basically Nioh 3?!

:d1p:

Wunderbar

Arcane
WTF? I've been skimming over anything on this game because I was sure it was that 'you are the monkey' souls-like TP action game, turns out this is basically Nioh 3?!

:d1p:
'you are the monkey souls-like TP action game' is called Black Myth Wukong.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Beautiful poison swamp. Day 1.

BpSN3BQ.png

cruel

Cipher
So happy to see this. Team Ninja is the only (other than From) company who really knows how to create a proper Soulslike and nail the combat aspect. D1P.

:takemyjewgold:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Wo Long: How Team Ninja's New Soulslike Differs from Nioh

Don’t think, feel.​

ign.jpg
By

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 3:00 pm

While the new trailer for Team Ninja’s highly anticipated Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty contains actual gameplay for the first time, there’s still a lot we don’t know about Team Ninja’s new Soulsborne title. Most notably, after making two installments of the Nioh series, the team decided to go in a somewhat new direction - and we wanted to know how it differs.

IGN sat down with producer Fumihiko Yasuda and development producer Masaaki Yamagiwa to find out how Wo Long is different from the developer’s popular past series. The most obvious thing that sets Wo Long apart from Team Ninja’s previous efforts is its setting, and it seems that this new location will differentiate Wo Long from Nioh in multiple ways.
“Being set in China, we were able to create locations of much greater scale than in Nioh, which was set in Japan,” Yasuda says. “Even something like a castle is much bigger than before, and exploration has become more vertical because the player character in Wo Long can jump,” he adds.

While Nioh’s combat was based around ninja skills and samurai swords, Wo Long’s combat is all about Chinese martial arts.

“Gameplay-wise, the biggest difference is an emphasis on speed,” Yasuda continues. “There’s no stamina gauge like you had in Nioh, so you’ll constantly be confronted by a multitude of situations in which you need to react immediately. You can choose to play more aggressively, but there are also a lot of new ways to evade enemy attacks.”

The absence of a stamina gauge and the faster-paced combat reminded us of FromSoftware’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, but Yasuda and Yamagiwa tell us that for them the increased tempo seemed only natural for a game focused on Chinese martial arts.

Yamagiwa says that movements of actual Chinese martial arts practitioners were implemented through motion capture, but that these were adjusted to match the game’s fictitious action.

The absence of a stamina gauge and the faster-paced combat reminded us of FromSoftware’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

The new trailer shows the player character using a wide array of weapon types, ranging from a spear to a longsword and a dual sword. Both the weapons’ designs and attack patterns are noticeably different in flow when compared with Nioh’s more grounded action.

“There will be more than 10 weapon types to choose from in the final game,” Yamagiwa says.

Systemwise, Wo Long’s biggest game changer might be its Morale ranking system. In Wo Long, both the player and enemies have a Morale rank. If the enemy is of a higher rank than you, it will be more difficult to defeat them. The player can raise their rank by defeating enemies, while dying will result in a degradation. Rankings of enemies are also affected by confrontation with the player. Yamagiwa says that this new dynamic is a fundamental aspect of Wo Long’s level design.

“New Wizardry Spells will be unlocked when you reach a higher rank, which work like magic spells,” Yamagiwa tells us. “Divine Beasts can be summoned to aid you during battle as well,” he continues. “In the trailer you can see the Vermilion Bird being summoned, which is one of China’s legendary beasts. You will befriend more of these divine beasts as you progress through the story.”

As implied by Bruce Lee’s famous quote “Don’t think, feel,” Chinese martial arts are all about intuition. It seems as though Team Ninja aspires to faithfully incorporate that philosophy into Wo Long.

For more on Wo Long, be sure to read our exclusive Summer Game Fest interview.

Yep.

Suicidal

Arcane
Systemwise, Wo Long’s biggest game changer might be its Morale ranking system. In Wo Long, both the player and enemies have a Morale rank. If the enemy is of a higher rank than you, it will be more difficult to defeat them. The player can raise their rank by defeating enemies, while dying will result in a degradation. Rankings of enemies are also affected by confrontation with the player. Yamagiwa says that this new dynamic is a fundamental aspect of Wo Long’s level design.

This thing worries me the most. Like what the fuck is this mechanic even supposed to be?

Is it a sort of dynamic difficulty, but in reverse, in that the more you die the stronger the enemies become? If that's the case then it's gonna filter a lot of players.

Or is it like a leveling system where you just grow stronger by defeating enemies but lose levels on death? I even remember the devs mentioning in some other interview that "a viable strategy is killing a bunch of pleb enemies before fighting a strong boss/mini-boss to raise morale", which stinks of vial farming in Bloodborne, a gameplay element I'm sure nobody enjoyed.

I also hope they don't make the combat too much like Sekiro, where most of the time you're expected to counter an enemy's move in only one specific way. I remember trying to jump over enemies' thrust attacks in that game resulted in you being hit 9/10 times even when the weapon was clearly not touching your character's model because the game expects you to use mikiri counter in that situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom