Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yamagiwa says that movements of actual Chinese martial arts practitioners were implemented through motion capture, but that these were adjusted to match the game’s fictitious action.
WOO BABY! MOTION CAP MARTIAL ARTS!

There better be fists in this like in Nioh 2. I wanna martial arts in chinese!

Machocruz

Arcane
Did Team Ninja actually say they were emulating Dark Souls for this one, or are people just assuming this is Chioh, because so far I haven't seen any specific features that defined those games. Because people don't know how to talk about games anymore, so if they can't compare a melee game to DMC, they compare it to Souls or vice versa. What is unique to Souls is something intangible, almost ineffable, that From has always had. It's not stamina gauges, labyrinthine level design, or camping sites, which other games had long before DeS. Nioh stood on its own anyways, afaic, what defined it had nothing to do with FS's games.

Suicidal

Arcane
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty About 40 Hours Long with Linear, Level-Based Structure

Team Ninja's next hardcore action RPG, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, looks very promising indeed — have a watch of its recent gameplay trailer to see how it's going. The developer, which previously brought us a pair of great Souls-like games with Nioh and Nioh 2, is building on its past efforts, though this new title will share some DNA with its predecessors.

According to Spanish site Vandal, speaking with producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, Wo Long will take about 40 hours to complete. This is in the same ball park as Team Ninja's last two titles, and as expected, the game will have plenty more to chew on for players who want to see and do everything, including endgame content after the credits roll.

Again, like the Nioh games, this new RPG will have a quest-based structure with fairly linear levels, rather than one big, expansive map. Each stage will include multiple interconnected routes, however, and the inclusion of a jump in Wo Long means each area will be more explorable and vertical than the older games.

There's no release date on the game just yet, but those attending Tokyo Game Show in September will get to try a playable demo.

Side mission grind and NG+ confirmed?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wonder if there'll be a stone of penance too, which makes enemies harder but gives better loot. I like that feature. Kind of like a custom way to make game harder.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well this just means it's structured like NiOh. Honestly I want Team Ninja to try on the sprawling semi open world style of Souls game but NiOh formula also works fine. So long level design is tight enough its all gucci

ADL

Prophet
From Software status: mogged
Twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern. At this point I'm just gonna skip their games and assume Team Ninja will outdo them 3-4 years later in every regard.

Wunderbar

Arcane

actual gameplay (with HUD, inventory, levelling screens). Everything in moonrunes unfortunately, but the demo was released on consoles so we're gonna get english gameplay soon as well.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
4m9bEv3.png

somebody send it to Tim Cain, the japs have stole his outer shapes idea.

Suicidal

Arcane
Game's supposed to be a multi-platform release, yet the demo is PS/XBOX only :hmmm:

Watched some of the gameplay - it actually looks a lot closer to Nioh than what it seemed like from the interviews so for all intents the purposes this is Nioh 3.

Some of the movement looks kinda janky, but overall visuals are an improvement - better looking environments, better magical effects, no particle vomit all over the screen.

Looks fun too, and the build autism seems to be there.

My main worries are the quality of the optimization on PC (Nioh 2 port was pretty good, but Final Fantasy CHAOS supposedly runs like shit) and the complete lack of hype surrounding the game which may result in it being a commercial failure even if it's good.

Dadd

Learned
How much you wanna bet they'll have an excuse to add katanas to the game?

Lambach

Arcane
I'm perfectly happy with this being Nioh 3, but I'll be happier if they rework or get rid of the random loot system. I spent way too much time managing the inventory between missions. It's just boring busywork, literally anti-fun. Not to mention how frustrating it is to play for hours and hours without getting that one piece of equipment you need to complete a Set or something.

Machocruz

Arcane
So basically they've Nioh-ized Sekiro, or Sekiroized Nioh. No stamina bar, so you can swing and run endlessly, although dodge uses up spirit gauge (this game's posture analogue, which acts in a similar way but also powers special ability usage). Rewards aggression. Enemies have critical attacks that you must deflect or avoid, replete with red icon warning you. You can do an execution move by walking up behind someone or jumping down on them and pressing strong attack when the red dot appears, although it's not always an instant kill, depends on the vitality of the enemy. No grappling hook, at least in the demo. Wall jump, double jump. I find deflecting harder to pull off in this game, enemy attacks come out pretty damn fast. Deflect/dodge feels less consistent/reliable sometimes, but that could just be me not grasping the timing of this game.

Estus use is not responsive, I don't know if that's the game or PS5 controller, but it's mad frustrating when heals don't pop, especially since some enemies are goddamn relentless in their attacking, moreso than any From game and what I played of Nioh 2. And they have reach. I think this game is going to kick a lot of people's asses. Enemy difficulty and aggression kept increasing the further I got into the level, I had to unlock and sprint away to heal a few times.

Visual presentation is indeed cleaner and more legible than Nioh glitterbomb aesthetic. Not the best looking game, but I don't think anyone expects that from TN at this point, it's fine.

Weapons so far feel like chink skins on Nioh jap weapons. I played a "stealth" character with twin swords and it felt very familiar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom