Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't know why none of these games try to replicate the atmosphere & writing of Diablo 1 & 2, instead they settle for some generic fantasy colourful pedestrian garbage!
Because of complaints from bible thumping moms who don't want their kids playing those satan games. Not even kidding, I knew a guy whose mom didn't want him playing Diablo 1. When he was a teenager. She also apparently thought goats were evil. And unicorns. Because they have horns.

Anyways it's obviously a near zero chunk of the market but any major company will demand any actual religious symbolism they can recognize get changed to some generic crap for that extra 00.0001% profit, because marketing teams are soulless scum who understand only numbers and wouldn't know an atmosphere if they were hurled into it from space.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Because of complaints from bible thumping moms who don't want their kids playing those satan games. Not even kidding, I knew a guy whose mom didn't want him playing Diablo 1. When he was a teenager. She also apparently thought goats were evil. And unicorns. Because they have horns.

Anyways it's obviously a near zero chunk of the market but any major company will demand any actual religious symbolism they can recognize get changed to some generic crap for that extra 00.0001% profit, because marketing teams are soulless scum who understand only numbers and wouldn't know an atmosphere if they were hurled into it from space.
I am not asking for a copy of Diablo. Just make something bleak and interesting so I can fckn care!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I am not asking for a copy of Diablo. Just make something bleak and interesting so I can fckn care!
Maybe you should play Realms of Arkania HD

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
played this game for a bit, the combat is good (not quite as good as D3 but close and closer than anything else on the market), the tree is just as retarded as it was in POE & the major nodes seem quite a bit less interesting, but at least it doesn't have skill gems.

The summons are pretty underwhelming, which is a big disappointment.

shit damage, shit health (except for the fatass which is a decent tank).

especially the turret, that thing actually needs you to spend upgrade points just to have it turn. :lol:

skill selection in general is pretty poor

The "classless" system is an even bigger failure in that regard than TQ/GD were. I wish these companies would just make a class based system if they can't make a proper classless system with arbitrary, class-like restrictions.

haven't gotten very far into the game since I've just been trying different setups across 6 characters (3 pure + 3 hybrids), will post more impressions if/when i get further in, i still haven't finished the first act

Yosharian

Arcane
I cannot understand how you can proclaim POE's tree as 'retarded' and yet use D3 as a benchmark for any game in this genre

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I cannot understand how you can proclaim POE's tree as 'retarded' and yet use D3 as a benchmark for any game in this genre

1. D3 (or any other arpg that I've played other than poe and wolcen copycat) doesn't make one of its central system intentionally difficult to navigate and analyze.

2. Overall, D3 is the best game in the genre. There are other games that do some aspects better but none of them add up to as good of a total package. With some relatively minor design changes I could turn D3 into an ARPG that would never be beaten by any other game in the genre (except another arpg designed by me of course).

Yosharian

Arcane

1. D3 (or any other arpg that I've played other than poe and wolcen copycat) doesn't make one of its central system intentionally difficult to navigate and analyze.

2. Overall, D3 is the best game in the genre. There are other games that do some aspects better but none of them add up to as good of a total package. With some relatively minor design changes I could turn D3 into an ARPG that would never be beaten by any other game in the genre (except another arpg designed by me of course).
But some users like that complexity and difficulty. That doesn't make it retarded, just different.

Personally I find D3's skill trees to be boring as hell. It's subjective, is it not?

As for D3, I don't like its story. I know that's not a major point for most people but it bothers me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
But some users like that complexity and difficulty. That doesn't make it retarded, just different.

I disagree. I don't mind complexity (D3 can use more complexity in certain areas), but making the INTERFACE difficult to read IS retarded.

As for D3, I don't like its story. I know that's not a major point for most people but it bothers me.

I like D3's story for its irony. Instead of a typical chosen one plot the game humiliates you by making you play a powerful but easily duped retard.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, if only GD and TQ had a class based system. I'm sure it would improve them a lot compared to the absolutely classless systems they have now. This is a valid point that should be brought up more when discussing these games.

Edit: guys, I'm being ironic...

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
TBH i am not a fan of GD dual class system.

For one it is not limited by level which means that after few couple of levels you can literally have end game abilities and walk through whole game good example of that are skeletons from necromancer that make 4/5 of campaign brainless walk in park.

Secondly you are deincentivized from specializing in one class. I don't want to play cabalist, i want to play necromancer god damn it.

Imho it would be much better if star system that was later bolted onto game would be primary way of evolution. Though it would require first a bit of rework and adding conditions. Like if you specialize in this tree you can't specialize on other or this tree requires first knowledge of X tree. It would be certainly interesting system that would be much more manageable and yet less confusing than something like POE tree. It would be doubly interesting it they would be able to tie it to story of game so in order to get some cultists powers you would have to join in cult and receive witchgod blessing.

When it comes to simple trees imho D2 still has the best system especially later with LOD and synergies.

Sykar

Arcane

For one it is not limited by level which means that after few couple of levels you can literally have end game abilities and walk through whole game good example of that are skeletons from necromancer that make 4/5 of campaign brainless walk in park.

Secondly you are deincentivized from specializing in one class. I don't want to play cabalist, i want to play necromancer god damn it.

Imho it would be much better if star system that was later bolted onto game would be primary way of evolution. Though it would require first a bit of rework and adding conditions. Like if you specialize in this tree you can't specialize on other or this tree requires first knowledge of X tree. It would be certainly interesting system that would be much more manageable and yet less confusing than something like POE tree. It would be doubly interesting it they would be able to tie it to story of game so in order to get some cultists powers you would have to join in cult and receive witchgod blessing.

When it comes to simple trees imho D2 still has the best system especially later with LOD and synergies.

You are aware that no one forces you to take a second class, right? It is absolutely not mandatory and infact people have gone through the entire game with one class only and some even try to get as far as possible classless.

PrettyDeadman

You are aware that no one forces you to take a second class, right? It is absolutely not mandatory and infact people have gone through the entire game with one class only and some even try to get as far as possible classless.
The game isn't balanced around playing a single class only. Playing on harder difficulty in hardcore with a single class only definitely is a suboptimal experience (if at all possible).

Sykar

Arcane

The game isn't balanced around playing a single class only. Playing on harder difficulty in hardcore with a single class only definitely is a suboptimal experience (if at all possible).

HC is again completely voluntarily. Also you can just use a second class to fill up the mastery bar for more stats. Or wait, are you guys really hung up what stands there as a class NAME? Rofl

Is it good yet?

Decent though your mileage may vary. Not top tier but much of the bugs are squashed by now.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Dual classing can easily become a huge noob trap the way it is done in GD/TQ and to be fair it is probably a bit of a design mistake to have it unlock so early in the game. Most players will just dick around normal/veteran and for that going single class (outside of some obvious stuff like unlocking dw for a gunslinger or auto-attack skill for builds that lack one through main class) is a perfectly sound idea.

Perkel

Arcane

Just because you can finish dark souls sl1 without any hit it doesn't mean it is great experience.
You need those mastery levels to survive later.

ADL

Prophet
Dual classing can easily become a huge noob trap the way it is done in GD/TQ and to be fair it is probably a bit of a design mistake to have it unlock so early in the game. Most players will just dick around normal/veteran and for that going single class (outside of some obvious stuff like unlocking dw for a gunslinger or auto-attack skill for builds that lack one through main class) is a perfectly sound idea.
I've never been a fan of locking people into classes and making super important decisions early game, especially as early as Grim Dawn does it. Even Path of Exile should be more open. Ideally PoE's classes would just be 3D models for your character that you can pick from and you'd get to choose six starting points on the passive chart and when respeccing you could switch between those starting points.

Isak

Educated
I tried this game when it launched and the game was riddled with numerous bugs. Everything was scaled to player level. So I wasn't able to choose a section if I wasn't build complete by powerleveling over it like in PoE. Sometimes glitchy, like some bats in a cave were unclickable so I had the annoyance of bats following me around if my leapslam didn’t kill them. Magic skills and talents weren’t working correctly.
And there was this one time where I leapslammed so hard on the boss, I landed in a tree but I was still able to kill them from above -- But that was awesome so I'm not complaining about that.

Although there was some neat stuff I did in the game to open up builds, like the infinite rage/Bleeding Edge wombo combo. Because Melee was basically the only build that worked effectively back then.

I remember thinking the game had a lot of potential and that hopefully the devs would live up to it but given their timing of patches(Once a week), I reckoned it may take a long time. So I decided to abandon it, and swore to myself I'd return 5-6 months later. Have they balanced all the skills and buff uniques while fixing the bugs? And what about Magic and other builds, have they been worked on enough?

Isak

Educated
I agree, noobs are why RPG pros like you and me are stereotyped as cocky/toxic, because of some 11 year olds getting wrecked by every level-scaled enemy to ever exist and then whining about them ridiculously because they want to be “a pro” yet all they succeed in doing is giving us RPG veterans a bad reputation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom