Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

Imagine having to clear this retarded shit story each league.

Still better than Derp 3 by leaps and bounds and at this point PoE story is hardly any better.

PoE acts are top tier atmosphere and ambience wise.
to me Grim Dawn has been the most engaging world, its the only one I ever actually read all the little story parts you gather. It got sort of derpy as it got into the desert expansion, but the early stuff especially felt really good to me.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
So does the update make the game worth buying, or is it still hot garbage?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It wasn't designed as such, though. It just happened to be a good place for getting XP (and to a lesser extent items, but the gap was less pronounced there, Mephisto was also good for farming a lot of priority gear). But the developers didn't set out with the goal of having people repeatedly kill Baal to farm (or Diablo, before LoD).

Yeah and ?

This is why ARPGs added end game. Because no one wants to play campaign every time they create character and definitely not some one level or two at end of the game 99999 times.
Hard disagree. I replay Diablo 2 partly because the classes are fun, but also because the campaign is good. Both aspects are what makes the game almost infinitely replayable. Nox is in a similar position. Games like PoE, Wolcen and even Last Epoch are fun little distractions for a while, but they are designed with an end game grind in mind, and because of that, they fail to entertain me in the long term, whereas Diablo 2 is still fun 20 years later. I doubt I'll even think of PoE or Wolcen in 20 years, much less remember their existence.

Perkel

Arcane
Well, Path of Exile entered alpha 9 years ago and you are still talking about it.

Yeah i joined it closed beta in 2011 or something like that. In fact POE is pretty much went past D2 longlivety. Most of people played it for about 8-9 years and then it went to basically very small group that plays it for a while and puts it down for 2-3 years rinse repeat.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Wolcen longevity was what - 2 weeks?

A fellow dev can be impressed by the positively ridiculous production values of Wolcen on long term, a redditor ensnared by Chris Wilson & co. of PoE however...
Perspective is everything.
:dealwithit:

eli

Learned
i am confused. this game shit or not? if yes, why there is a deep comment section on this prestigious site? if not, why i read only comment about how shit t this game is.

deama

Prophet
Looks like they mostly fixed main stats. Previously how fast you were was tied to dexterity and level. So if you put 5 points into dex at level 2 to get 10 dex you had around 30-40% improved speed of attack but when you would level up it would fall down to around 15-20% and with those extra 5 points it would go back to only around 25-30% instead of 30-40%.

Now you start with 5 points which gives you 0.1% improved speed, with extra 5 points you get 0.5% improved speed and it doesn't change if you level up.

Only Ferocity is still like old one now. So you start with 20% crit chance then you put 5 points into that and you get 25% or something like that, level up and you are now 17%.

I guess small progress ?

also from what i have looked on their tree they changed a lot of "this gives you +50% speed" to something like +6% which suggest they figured out what is multiplication and how it is different from adding.

The minus is that that you can't unlock Champions of Stormfall by ini anymore :/ So you have to play again campaign. Will be playing it today to see all changes.

edit

Wisdom is still the same old shit. So only Agility and Toughness work as flat regardless of level.
FINALLY! I've been waiting for them to fix the fucking attack speed bullshit since early access! But you say stuff like crit still has those problems? Godamnit...

Bara

Arcane
I've barley started the game with the new fixes so I can't say anything about it being mechanically better yet.

I will note however they didn't fix the bug with player beards. When a character talks their beard doesn't move with their chin it just floats there.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Recent Reviews for Wolcen were Mostly Positive before the patch, now it's at Mixed again. I only tried the patch briefly, but I noticed that there were new graphical glitches that didn't exist before. The league mechanic or whatever you want to call it was also extremely simplistic and uninteresting. All things said and done it's still the same bore of a game that it was when it was released. One step forward, one step backward. Time to let go.

Efe

Erudite
Stop with this "diablo clone" bullshit you fucking retarded elitists. Yes diablo was the first, it invented the genre. But you don't call FPS games "doom clone" or "whatever the fuck was the first shooter game clone". This moronic attitude of yours is annoying as fuck.
fps games were called "doom gibin" (doom-like) for a looong time here so i dont know what ur about.

Peachcurl

Cipher
In case anyone's interested: this game is still in a sad state, long after release.

- The attribute system is still uhm... very strange
- Fairly janky gameplay for a bunch of skills (such as projectiles colliding with a mob immediately behind you instead of shooting out the front)
- Summon skills are still a mess, despite some half assed band-aids. Minion AI is awful ('What a nice wall to shoot at! Go team minion!').
- Mechanics are still incredibly obscure for many skills and passives. And since no one gives a fuck about the game, it's pretty hard to find out any details
- PASSIVE WHEEL CAN TURN ... OOOOWHEEEEEEEE!
- The limitation on the number of skills feels much too restrictive
- And of course the character models are still wrecked (Ok, doesn't really matter since you won't see much of them once the screen fills up with the usual fire works... oh, and if you have a long legs fetish: this is still the right game for yo!)
- Still some skill modifiers not working at all. Doing nothing. Zero.
- Aspect transformation still feels entirely superflous

But thank god they implemented important fluff like pets. Couldn't play the game without my gold-collecting goodboy!

Another nitpick I have for the game, since you mentioned summons. When I play a minion master class in a fantasy game I want it to basically be the Necromancer from Diablo 2. None of that zombies shit, none of that shambling animals shit, I want a skeleton army.

I don't know why developers keep fucking it up. Even Guild Wars screwed up there and they had Diablo 2 devs on the team. Just give me some skeleton soldiers with swords and helmets.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Another nitpick I have for the game, since you mentioned summons. When I play a minion master class in a fantasy game I want it to basically be the Necromancer from Diablo 2. None of that zombies shit, none of that shambling animals shit, I want a skeleton army.

I don't know why developers keep fucking it up. Even Guild Wars screwed up there and they had Diablo 2 devs on the team. Just give me some skeleton soldiers with swords and helmets.

Diablo 2 was truly a gem in how you could roll through maps with a ton of skeleton warriors, archers, mages, and a golem to tank everything.

Of course, eventually the skeletons couldn't survive more than two seconds and it was more mana-efficient to switch to something else, but still, good memories.

Old Hans

Arcane

you got a problem with zombies? Cause I got a problem with skeletons. I think they are silly. Zombies are way cooler

Diablo 2 was truly a gem in how you could roll through maps with a ton of skeleton warriors, archers, mages, and a golem to tank everything.

Of course, eventually the skeletons couldn't survive more than two seconds and it was more mana-efficient to switch to something else, but still, good memories.

1.13 made skeleton warriors genuinely tanky in exchange for reducing the number you could have (though you could still have a lot). They weren't invincible, but I found it pretty rare for them to die even in Hell Mode once all the synergies were pumped up. Mainly only lost them against act bosses or uber trist. It was actually more common to lose them due to them wandering too far off screen / getting left too far behind when travelling than to have them die in combat.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

D2 Necromancer is the only Necromancer I've ever played that felt like you were playing a commander of the dead. Having all those skeletons and revived enemies being a literal wall around you was some GOOD SHIT, PAL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom