Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - two player co-op with BJ's daughters

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It pains me to see one of gaming's most legendary characters getting cucked :(

swiMXy8.jpg

It's the fate of everything nowadays.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahahaha i just watched the gggshillman and was surprised at his overly positive review. Fuck that guys shilling the most garbage AAA game now,it is real decline. You know that the game is super bad when bunch of casuals that like the new cuckholder,hated this one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...er-buggy-but-sincerely-enjoyable-co-op-mayhem

Wolfenstein: Youngblood review - slender, buggy, but sincerely enjoyable co-op mayhem

Two players, two developers, but half the story: this spin-off isn't firing on all cylinders, but the combat is still hugely satisfying.

A Nazi-infested world crafted by Arkane looks exactly as you think it should.

Dishonored's Dunwall excelled at polarity, its pomp and majesty juxtaposed with decay and death. Neu-Paris, too, echoes Arkane's masterfully macabre world-building. But where Dunwall's untold stories swam in the eyes of its dead and dying, Wolfenstein: Youngblood's Neu-Paris has no time for such sentiment. It is a city ravaged by war, yes, but there are no survivors padding these cobbled streets. There are only the self-indulgent trappings of the Reich, the endless pageantry of polished mahogany and billowing banners and scarlet soft furnishings... all swastika-branded, naturally.

It's refreshing to experience a game that even attempts to instil a little personality in its protagonists - yes, I'm very tired of the mute and mindless iteration, thanks for asking - but you'll likely love or loathe Jess and Soph. Though I initially appreciated my twin's perky encouragements, their stupid one-liners and dorky dances and goofy greetings eventually felt contrived and misplaced.

A tissue-thin plot doesn't help, but while I could see the major plot beats coming a mile off and drive a truck through some of the less forgivable holes, it's undoubtedly a story with heart. And for all their adolescent irritations, it's a nice change to see strong leads who differ from the male, pale and stale variety we see so often.

These dual protagonists point to Youngblood's biggest change to the Wolfenstein template: co-operative play. Whilst it's possible to complete the campaign with just an AI companion alongside you, I found their revival skills sorely lacking - especially in a firefight - and can report that your AI sis isn't much cop in the final boss fight, either. That said, having a human pal for the closing battle isn't much better; it's a grossly unbalanced fight, so be sure you're playing with someone who'll forgive you after you yell at them (apologies to my brother Rich).

jpg

Hungry like the wolf.

Final boss battle aside, the combat is - as we've come to expect from Wolfenstein and Machine Games - intensely satisfying. While your arsenal is surprisingly limited, a fully stocked weapon wheel can be gleefully destructive, disintegrating foes into chunks of meat and muscle. Youngblood wants you to experiment with your weaponry, of course, promising certain guns are best suited to certain enemies, but my customary spray-and-pray tactics worked well enough on normal difficulty, especially in the latter stages of the game when my Laserkraftwerk was gloriously maxed out.

Youngblood isn't quite as open-world as it wants to be, and just because you can enter a certain area doesn't mean you should. You'll frequently find progress gated by outrageously overpowered enemies, particularly early gin the ame, which necessitates spending a little time in and around your side missions to bulk up - and level up - before you take on some of the tougher opponents. Stealth, too, didn't play the role I'd hoped. Whilst you can opt for a stealth cloak from the off, the effect wears off so quickly it's barely worth having. At endgame, I've managed to upgrade it so it's considerably more useful, but I think anyone looking to ghost Youngblood is going to have a significantly and disproportionately harder time than those of you just happy to blow stuff up.

You can also reinvigorate your sibling with "peps", a system of perks that encourages the sisters to stick together and help each other out when things get sticky (which they will; shockingly, Nazis don't always play fair). By performing a cringeworthy emote, you or your sis can bestow a boost such as regenerating life or armour, or double damage. Once you've unlocked the perk to recover your HP or armour entirely, though, there seems little point in using the others.

jpg

Youngblood havin' some fun / Crazy ladies keep 'em on the run.

There's been a steady, and necessary, discourse about Youngblood's microtransactions and boosters but I can, hand on heart, promise that you don't need them. At all. Ostensibly they speed things up, but I ranked up regularly and without frustration without them. Silver coins - the in-game currency - are plentiful and everywhere, and the yellow currency crates routinely respawn, too, so you'll rarely, if ever, feel hampered by a lack of coin.

A skill-tree has also been shoehorned into the game. Again, it's not too egregious as, carrying heavy weapons aside, there was little that felt unfairly locked behind an upgradeable. But it's an odd addition and not one that brings anything new to the table. Same goes for the RPG-esque health bars on the enemies; it's good to know how much longer you have to go for the bullet-sponges that sport outrageously fortified armour, but for your everyday Nazi foot soldier, they're not remotely necessary.

Oh my, it's buggy, though. Playing on PS4 Pro, I experienced sound drops and distortions too numerous to count, and a good half-dozen occasions when - because of an infinitely-respawning enemy, or a phantom soldier, or a gate glitch, or a drone dispenser that kept dispensing even though I'd deactivated it - we were forced to restart the mission. I had to attempt the final main "raid" mission three times because the first didn't save, and in the second try a key item fell through the floor into nowhere.

jpg

Nasty Nazis.

And yet I sincerely enjoyed my time with Wolfenstein: Youngblood. Where another recent co-developed project from Bethesda, Rage 2, fell short of expectations, Machine Games and Arkane have just about exceeded them. Like Rage 2, Youngblood is bloody and flamboyant and deliciously violent with touches of puerility. But it also offers a rich, if contained, world that's ripe for exploration, packed with collectables and secrets and swastika-emblazoned robotic monstrosities to destroy. It's unlikely that veteran Wolf fans will find much besides combat to enjoy in this story-starved iteration, but it's possible it'll entice new ones.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Buahahahaha i just watched the gggshillman and was surprised at his overly positive review. Fuck that guys shilling the most garbage AAA game now,it is real decline. You know that the game is super bad when bunch of casuals that like the new cuckholder,hated this one.

B-B-B-BUT ITS FUN WITH FRIENDS! DON'T YOU HAVE F-F-FRIENDS?!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The level design, well somehow the first Wolfenstein game made in collaboration with Arkane is also the game with worst level design for stealth. There are 4 small sandboxes with premade areas, verticality, shortcuts and an underground system which always lead to another area. Sound great right? The thing is, Dishonored style level design doesn't work in this type of game. Dishonored and Prey are slow paced, encourages exploring and give player a skillset to traverse the environment. Wolfenstein Youngblood is too fast paced, rarely give player a chance to notice whatever the hell is happening in the background, and at the end just funnel you into corridor shooting sequences. If you're lucky, maybe you can takedown 2 or 3 unarmored grunts before setting off the alarm, and once you go rampaging, there's no incentive to explore the hidden parts of the level, aside from shortcuts that save you time while sprinting back to metro station.

I liked the visual design a lot more than you, but I agree this type of level design doesn't work with the game they made. With the singleplayer games it would have, assuming they were hubs with a lot more linear levels connected to them, but this kind of "do it over and over with leveled zones" stuff just doesn't work with this setup, like at all. Also stealth in all these games sucks, IMO.

rezaf

Cipher
Except for the German release, that is. In the German version, the swastikas will be replaced by rainbows. Fitting.
Nah, Germans are now allowed to see Nazi stuff in video games.

Actually, there still is a "graphically localized" version and some german retail chains have voluntarily declared they'd only carry this version.
142842-203696-203695_rc.jpg

I always thought was a hilarious case of this law being used, since ... well, since you are actually KILLING the Nazis.
But I guess extermination is the ultimate form of flattery.

GreyViper

Prophet
Watched a lets play and level layout has Arkane touch. The levels look nice, but some of the other stuff does not. The story dialog is hilariously bad and the sisters feel like hillbillies happy go lucky whacky adventures in Europe. Whoever came up with this, did this franchise service and let's hope this is the last of Wolfenstein series.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I actually agree. I stopped playing, but you get so many coins from enemies and the environment (when looking for ammo and whatnot) that I upgraded everything I cared about quickly and had a massive stash of coins just sitting there, even without finishing one of the main 4 missions. The "economoy" seems mostly built around you spending coins on cosmetics, and if you don't you'll be fine.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Yeah. I don't even know how to buy things with real money and what things can you purchase. Is completely aside. The game has a lot of other issues, gonna explain them when I finished with it.

TNO was SHIT
New Colossus was Absolute SHIT
Old Blood was decent.

I really liked BJ in The New Order and The Old Blood
You guys need to stop putting TNO and TOB in the same league, BJ for example, was a whiny no fun bitch, with some of Bloom's worst voice acting.

What did you expect with women in charge?
Don't you know Hennig?

Youngblood is pretty much just a spinoff, like The Old Blood
What'll be the third spinoff? "Middle-Blood: Loot Box Emergent"

How to make strong female characters:
Make them act like men but twice as edgy.
In other words: "do what we failed to do in real life"

mental ill morons who "fight regime" by targeting civilians in their terrorist acts while claiming that their war is "liberating" for the sake their "holy beliefs"
You just described colonialism and its starchild, USA.

Badass redefined :roll:

The graphics on New Colossus were weird, it could look great at times but often it was so slathered in processing effects it looked like shit. Judging by the trailers this one will be the same. Solo play is confirmed, but not sure whether your sister will be AI following you around or not there.
That's any idTech5+ game that's not DooM

if The New Colossus is any indication, then half of these 30 hours are going to be spent by grinding for ubercommander codes through same areas again and again.
If The Old Blood is though, it'll be rather good

B.J Blazkowicz was a silent ticking bomb in TNO
Did you play TNO on mute?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
You just described colonialism and its starchild, USA.
How USA can be starchild of colonialism if they themselves was a colony and nowadays don't have any? Also what colonialism has to do with terrorism holy beliefs? I mean, yeah people dying in both cases, but people always dying and it doesn't mean that colonialism and terrorism the same shit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom