Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Woot! My roguelike is on 8BitFunding!

ido

Novice
Ok, it's not really an RPG but a roguelike...

Anyway, in response to all the positive response Cardinal Quest has received (>15,000 visitors, mostly within a couple of days), I have decided to try to get some funding in order to finish up the game.

I am using a new crowd-sourcing funding site for indie games called 8BitFunding.com, which just went online today and has Cardinal Quest in their first round of games being funded - check it out!

Some screenshots:
LECI6.jpg

dUr2I.jpg

NKdoO.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEopZAmMd1E

Concept art:
http://i.imgur.com/Hcfvy.jpg

-Ido.

ido

Novice
So my partner & I could work on it full time and release the final version in 1-2 months of intense work instead of 1 year of working on weekends and evening.

Also to contract out some more graphics, music & sound effects.

Gwendo

Augur
Champion of the Land ($ 1000 minimum)
All of the above as well as well as a personal visit from one of the developers (within Europe or North America) and 10% of all profits from the web, desktop and mobile versions of the game. Will be credited in a prominent place in intro screen and website as The Patron Saint of Cardinal Quest.

So, if 11 people donates 1000$, what would happen?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Gwendo said:
All of the above as well as well as a personal visit from one of the developers (within Europe or North America) and 10% of all profits from the web, desktop and mobile versions of the game. Will be credited in a prominent place in intro screen and website as The Patron Saint of Cardinal Quest.

:lol:

ido

Novice
Gwendo said:

10 will get refunded since it means there is a bug in 8bitfunding.com - I set the limit to 1 person for the $1000 donation.

But you can try and put it to the test if you like :)

Elzair

Cipher
It looks like a shitty-looking DCSS. Also, you need animations if you want to make it realtime.

zeitgeist

Magister
Describe some of the reasons why your target audience would choose this game instead of an actual roguelike.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ido said:
Gwendo said:

10 will get refunded since it means there is a bug in 8bitfunding.com - I set the limit to 1 person for the $1000 donation.

But you can try and put it to the test if you like :)

I think it would be enough if 10 Codexers donated $1000. Then we'd get 100% of profits. Who's up to it?

7hm

Scholar
I like the graphics.

Looks very simple. Not a bad thing for a roguelike. Just don't dumb it down too much.

ido

Novice
7hm said:
I like the graphics.

Looks very simple. Not a bad thing for a roguelike. Just don't dumb it down too much.

That's definitely the challenge - keeping the interface simple without over-simplifying the game-play.

Gwendo

Augur
Taking in account that you're the one who have the responsability to market your project and that 8bitfunding is starting, so it's hasn't yet great exposure, what's the benefits of being in that site, instead of making your own site/blog and put there a paypal donation button? As it is, you have to pay 5 to 10%, plus paypal fees (2,9% + 0,30$/transaction). They even say that if you don't get 100%, they will charge more (10% instead of the 5%).

ido

Novice
Gwendo said:
Taking in account that you're the one who have the responsability to market your project and that 8bitfunding is starting, so it's hasn't yet great exposure, what's the benefits of being in that site, instead of making your own site/blog and put there a paypal donation button? As it is, you have to pay 5 to 10%, plus paypal fees (2,9% + 0,30$/transaction). They even say that if you don't get 100%, they will charge more (10% instead of the 5%).

I'm giving Geoff the benefit of the doubt - going with something new is always a risk.

We'll see how it turns out in a bit over a month.

ido

Novice
Holy crap!

$1205 in the first day - thank you all so much!

7hm

Scholar
Gwendo said:

I'd say the benefit is:

Holy crap!

That's absurd for an indie roguelike. Someone actually put in 1000$.

ido

Novice
7hm said:
I'd say the benefit is:

Holy crap!

Crap, I just realized I'll now have to fly to meet one of you weirdos.

ido

Novice
Konjad said:
ido said:
7hm said:
I'd say the benefit is:

Holy crap!

Who is that? SMA? :lol:

Maybe there is a way to see who donated what on 8bf, but i haven't found it yet.

So for now it shall remain a riddle wrapped in a mystery.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Konjad said:
ido said:
7hm said:
I'd say the benefit is:

Holy crap!

nah, it's obviously nomask. i'm sure ido will like finland :thumbsup:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hoverdog said:
Konjad said:
ido said:
7hm said:
I'd say the benefit is:

Holy crap!

Maybe it's andhaira with his terrorist friends who want to capture one of the devs and exchange him for money.

Or just stone him to death for the glory of Allah.

Elzair

Cipher
Konjad said:
hoverdog said:
Konjad said:
ido said:
7hm said:
I'd say the benefit is:

Holy crap!

Maybe it's andhaira with his terrorist friends who want to capture one of the devs and exchange him for money.

Or just stone him to death for the glory of Allah.

Nah.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom