Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Horror - cosmic horror adventure/RPG with 1-bit aesthetics

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.wohgame.com

https://af.gog.com/en/game/world_of_horror?as=1649904300

Inspired by Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft, mystery adventure gameplay, turn-based combat, early Macintosh-like 1-bit aesthetics, and collaboration with the Codex-favorite author Cassandra Khaw:

wzJgda.png

f44Mnf.png

ev0ssg.png

Originally made as a game jam demo, you can play the demo here: https://panstas.itch.io/world-of-horror

WORLD OF HORROR, the unsettling cosmic horror retro RPG from Panstasz and Ysbryd Games, weaves its dreadful tale on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Steam for Windows, Mac and Linux in 2019. It will be available for hands-on demos at PAX West, taking place Aug. 31 – Sept. 3 in Seattle, Washington, in booth 6808.

The Old Gods are reawakening, clawing their way back into a world that’s spiraling into a mysterious madness. In a small, seaside town of Japan, the population’s sanity is dwindling and otherworldly, grotesque creatures terrorize those who call the place home. It’s the end of the world and the only solution is to confront the terror reigning over the apocalypse.

Navigate this hellish, roguelite reality through turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with the events of a playthrough by building a deck of event cards to discover different outcomes for your battles against the darkness. Different decks may even unlock new mysteries or clues.

WORLD OF HORROR features branching stories with five playable characters to brave the chaos, each with their own story and a different perspective on the events that unfold. Unravel puzzles and mysteries through spells that sacrifice sanity. Uncover disturbing and shocking clues. Diligently search every nook and cranny, scouring for helpful items that may come in handy in another twisted encounter.

Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. WORLD OF HORROR is free of typical jump scares, relying solely on its unnerving environments and amorphous terrors to create a gnawing sense of dread. Complimented by haunting chiptunes and a 1-bit art style with a variety of available palettes, WORLD OF HORROR presents a series of frightening and unsettling accounts that linger well after stepping away.

“I set out to create something that illustrates just how vulnerable one’s sanity can be,” said Pawel Kozminski, founder of Panstasz. “I want WORLD OF HORROR to haunt players in a way that creates an uncomfortable sense of apprehension, something that slowly builds uneasiness and anxiety through atmosphere and the uncanny.”

Cassandra Khaw, writer on games including Wasteland 3, Sunless Skies and She Remembered Caterpillars, as well as author of the critically acclaimed horror novel Hammers on Bone, will collaborate with Panstasz on the writing for WORLD OF HORROR.

WORLD OF HORROR will be available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Steam for Windows, Mac and Linux. It will support English and other languages to be announced at a later date.

For more information, please visit the WORLD OF HORROR website, visit the official Discord, or follow @YsbrydGames and @Panstasz on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Looks interesting. Waiting with baited breath for SJWs to jump on this for cultural appropriation.
they won't

Latro

Arcane
by hp lovecraft and junji ito i can only assume it's just gonna be swirly tentacles and maybe cultists

i doubt mizz caw has ever read a full lovecraft story before

FeelTheRads

Arcane
She's the one who was proud of appropriating Lovecraft's work and infesting it with her own shit.
So I guess expect it to be as Lovecraftian as such an animal with no respect for someone else's work can make it.

Last edited:

Lurker47

Savant
She's the one who was proud of appropriating Lovecraft's work and infesting it with her own shit.
So I guess expect it to be as Lovecraftian as such an animal with no respect for someone else's work can make it.
Female writers are the kiss of death for any game.

bataille

Arcane
Looks pretty dope. Today is a day of such discoveries: other than this game, I found something in this (and Ito's) vein, too: a gekimator named Ujicha. Hope this game comes out before his most recent film does (which is probably never).

Don't watch this trailer if you're easily upset. You've been warned. It's much more demented than Ito's work if I'm entirely honest.

Latro

Arcane
Inspired by Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft
Video game creators seem to have an awe-inspiringly narrow pool of inspiration. Like, Jesus, read some more books, guys. :|

Like what?? I've read John Langan's The Fisherman. It is superb but very close to HP Lovercraft.
ligotti and hawthorne would be cool. i'd love to see something paying respect to the colonial new england woods or an inescapable office with a supervisor

PrettyDeadman

Video game creators seem to have an awe-inspiringly narrow pool of inspiration. Like, Jesus, read some more books, guys. :|

Like what?? I've read John Langan's The Fisherman. It is superb but very close to HP Lovercraft.
ligotti and hawthorne would be cool. i'd love to see something paying respect to the colonial new england woods or an inescapable office with a supervisor
Yeah, I was going to start with ligotti for some time. I guess I should at least get some of his books.

Latro

Arcane

Yeah, I was going to start with ligotti for some time. I guess I should at least get some of his books.
saya no uta kinda has that ligotti feeling down, what with the suicidal/depressive view of the protagonist and the warped world, sorta.

there's way more thematic material to mine here instead of lovecraft, but I guess a mysterious tranny-pimp messing with your mother and sister would be too much for people like caw.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Why not? It may or may not have started from production reasons, but it has its charm, evokes not only the feel of early Macintosh (especially adventure) games but also that of Japanese black & white manga (Junji Ito, eh?). Also it's pretty well presented, I think, authentic feel with subtle hints of modern graphics techniques, unlike some of those "hipster" pixel art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom