Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

World of Horror - cosmic horror adventure/RPG with 1-bit aesthetics - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Aug 1, 2018.

1. infidel StarInfidel Developer

infidel
    Ah, that explains it. I've watched some letsplays and it struck me that it's just a series of event cards one after another, not enough overall narrative for something I'd consider an RPG. Arkham Horror did immediately came to mind. I wouldn't say they fucked it up, it's obviously working, 2k overwhelmingly positive reviews is no joke even for a released game and this will grow even more after it releases fully. The description states "in this roguelite-style cosmic horror RPG." That tells me that the author had problem describing it so that an average gamer would understand. You can't just say "it's an Arkham Horror clone" in marketing and the presentation is too different from what your average person perceives as a board game.

This also means that the combat is pretty much done, Arkham Horror has the same simplistic and random (due to monster movement and available resources) thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    They managed to make something marketable but being popular doesn't make it any more of a game.

^ Top  
  3. infidel StarInfidel Developer

infidel
    Well, I won't argue what is and isn't a game but Arkham Horror was p fun when I played it even taking into account lots of deadly randomness, simplistic combat and overall clunkiness. In fact, I'm still wondering when will FFG get up from their asses and make a digital version so that I can play it some more.

^ Top  
  4. normie Magister Patron Zionist Agent

normie

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    The best thing to a happen to a game that's most criticized for a lack of content is to get a free content update.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sotomonte Literate

Sotomonte
    It's funny how many people gave up on this game just for being a couple of months without updates.

I'm not a big fan of EAs, but if you buy one you know what to expect: erratic update times (one month you can have two or three updates each week and another month you can have none).

^ Top  
  7. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    Continuing to work on an unfinished game is now called a "free content update"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morpheus Kitami Educated

Morpheus Kitami
    I understand the reason why there was a big gap in this one was because the guy was doing something for some game collection. Dread X Collection I think?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sotomonte Literate

Sotomonte

Aha, so it's true.

I found a gameplay on Youtube of that game (or collection of minigames) a few weeks ago and I remember one of them reminded me a lot to World of Horrors for its art and sounds. Now I have looked at it and yes, apparently it was a collaboration of the same developer using the same engine.

^ Top  
  10. Hermes Trismegistus Literate

Hermes Trismegistus
    This is the most promising game old Hermes knows of but has not played yet because early access detracts from the experience of the complete game.
    Many old games like that, superb art but not much beneath. To me good art is enough. Why do you think Kazuo Umezu is better source of inspiration than Junji Ito?
    The Thing In The Lake?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    Less of a "meme" for one.

^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    You can always try a "demo"...

Dunno about the first one, but Ito's stories became unintentionally hilarious for me. The Uzumaki one starts great, but it was clearly stretched to the limit, as the story last too long and the situations become more and more stupid and forced. Ito works best when he writes short stories, although even then you need a massive suspension of disbelief, as his characters have less survival instincts and intelligence than a drunk lemming starring in a modern "horror" movie.

Since this game the player is in control, horror is less effective because normally you won't intentionally shove yourself in a weird-shaped tunnel that will stretch you in unnatural and horrifying ways, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sotomonte Literate

Sotomonte

Yes

Actually, there is a demo, without quotes, in itch.io with the first three mysteries. ;)

^ Top  
  14. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    Uzumaki's best moments in terms of outright horror are its first few chapters. But, aside from some incredibly silly middle chapters (including psychic baby vampires), I found it really interesting to see it evolve as a story. To see standard Japanese horror stories spiral (haha) into a larger horror setting was fascinating to read. Not that it was particularly well though-out or anything but it's a novel experience. The ending chapters lack some of the punch of the earliest chapters but the exponentially absurd scenarios add to a surreal, helpless atmosphere. This is opposed to Gyo which just gets silly and meanders around aimlessly.

Now all of this would serve as a much better inspiration for a horror game instead of unrelated vignettes that reduce Junji Ito to "Japanese body horror man who is maybe sometimes cosmic or surreal"

Something, something insanity curse, something something cosmic babble

^ Top  
  15. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Eh, Ito isn't really about plot or sense. His works are nightmare-ish in the most direct sense of that word - most of them would've been totally natural as a bad dream because it's not like nightmares tend to be 100% logical and reasonable. I guess it would've been fantastic to see David Lynch adapt one of his works (say, Uzumaki), especially while adhering to the original as little as possible.

I'm not sure if that dreadful atmosphere ties into the gameplay that well - I mean, I can't say that WoH is scary or even that much creepy. I find it to be more like fascinating and/or aesthetically pleasing because stylisation is kept up so well. Outside of that, any kind of correct gameplay is quite contrary to the atmosphere, especially in the early day of absolutely broken game rules and unhinged power - it's really the monsters who should've been afraid of you, whether you're a carpenter hammer demolition engine, highly popular mahou shojou or pistol whipping maniac who never needs bullets because his pistol whip is that good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Hermes Trismegistus Literate

Hermes Trismegistus
    Pope Amole the second steals words out of Hermes' mouth. Ito is about the horror of dreams, of obsessions that make no sense on waking. Dream logic always applies.
    Popularity is no argument against a work or artist nor for it.
    Old Hermes would go into tunnel but you are right about his shorter stories being his best. What I wonder is why Kazuo Umezu is better. He is popular too and in my opinion not a better writer or artist.

^ Top  
  17. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    But originality does.

^ Top  
  18. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Lovecraft did it before, and better IMO.
    When the heroine runs away from a bunch of crazed pregnant women menacing her with drills (because SPIRALS!!!), and then keeps going with her daily life as if nothing had happened, it becomes unintentionally ridiculous. And the gang kids spawning SPIRAL TORNADOES!!! from shouting. And her poor boyfriend who repeatedly states to leave this accursed town but keeps being ignored (funnily enough it was mentioned that some people DID leave when things were getting too crazy).

If everyone is acting retarded because it's a nightmare, it is more understandable. The pilot chapter for Uzumaki was quite good as well, and the MC girl wasn't as passive as the main work that showed afterwards.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. normie Magister Patron Zionist Agent

normie

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.