Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Worst travesties in the genre?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Oblivion - the beginning of consolification and dumbification

Fallout 3 - one of the worst travesties in the RPG genre

Fallout 4 - same shit but more logarithmic (even worse)

Skyrim - travesty to gaming in general, a half-broken unplayable mess

Pillars - made some critical errors, but in this group a very minor offender

Numenera - same

Outer Worlds - one of the worst incoming travesties

BG3 - probably one of the worst incoming travesties, aka the Fallout 3 of IE games (God forbid)

some honorable mentions - DA: Inquisition (was never a spectacularly promising franchise so who cares), ME: Andromeda (it was so good that everyone wiped it out of their brain memory)

Last edited:

Curratum

Mass Effect - marketing a dull cover shooter as an RPG is never a good idea.

Tides of Numenera - there are so many (pretentious and poorly chosen) words that I simply have none left.

Skyrim - a massive downgrade from Oblivion, which actually had its strong points, at least in terms of worldbuilding and locations.

the Piranha Bytes game - I will never stop being amazed at the ability of those folks to keep selling the same game for two and a half decades.

and now for the triggering finale:

FO NV - I don't care how many branching paths, quest resolutions or great characters the game has, it's the same abominable engine, spasm-inducing visuals and gunplay and boring, empty world.

DemonKing

Arcane
A relatively late entrant but I think Underworld Ascendant could still beat all those other titles without breaking a sweat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Dragon Age II
DA2 sucked because there was no encounter design. Every single fight was identical: baddies pop out of nowhere(sometimes they literally fall from the ceiling), you beat them, then more magically appeared.
It destroyed any point of tactical positioning because enemies randomly spawned on top of your ranged characters.
There were a handful of enemy types and all enemies were reskins of these. Spiders were just archers with spider skins.

Not joking about them falling from the ceiling btw:
DragonAge2_Ceiling_Enemies_DA2.jpg+original.jpg

This is how enemies spawn in DA2.

Codex Year of the Donut
Not joking about them falling from the ceiling btw:
DragonAge2_Ceiling_Enemies_DA2.jpg+original.jpg

This is how enemies spawn in DA2.
When your physics system sucks so much, you have to spawn entities 3 meters above ground just to avoid them falling through the floor...
I think it was actually to make it look like they didn't spawn out of nowhere because that's not a typical camera angle. Every fight was wave-based combat where enemies just kept spawning, and it sucks. Still all around terrible design that heavily ruined the game for me.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What are you saying.

Those are legitly trained templar ninja division. They understand that the best way to win is through tactics which mess up enemies positioning.

Curratum

>complains about dull shooting and gunplay
>likes witcher games

Codex never changes

I'm not trying to argue about Witcher's combat, it was ok at best, but I'd like to point out that third person melee combat is very different to first person shooting and movement. The former can get away with a lot of clunk and poorly thought-out mechanics because it looks and feels better in terms of visual feedback and flair, while with first-person shooting, you need more razor-sharp design to make it worthwhile and playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom