Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WotC 5e D&D Team are lazy fucks

Gyor

Savant
Look up sixth edition game jam on itch.io if you want a laugh.

This was people trying to "reclaim" D&D during the drama when it was just #firemikemearls.

Some people actually tried to sell their submission on there and a lot of it was jut narrative game junk because coming up with an actual system is hard.

So they'll "move on" not like it and come back and try to force change to 5e. Which is fine in all honesty OSR and 1e - 3.5e rules will always be out there and accessible.

Oh I really, really hope they find what they are looking for outside of 5e D&D because they have politized and toxified the game enough already with needless fucking drama and bullshit and absurdities.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I, too, hope that they, including the soycucks at WotC, will leave D&D alone so that maybe 6e will be a game worth playing again. Having said that, I also realize it's way, WAY beyond fabulously optimistic to even hope for any incline and 6e will, in fact, be even more of a woke shitshow.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah just play whatever you have right now. Time to stop supporting these idiots.

I have Savage Worlds, Blades in the Dark, 13th Age, and a few other titles which are all I'll ever need in this lifetime. The nice thing about RPGs is that the really good systems are there so all you need to do is homebrew your own shit. Heck, you can even mine older modules and sourcebooks for ideas. Goodwill, trust, and new players are more important for companies in this industry to stay alive. I hope the PC brigade has enough shekels to keep them afloat, because they will really need them.

It would be funny to see the mob cancel Wizards after all this pandering, then Wizards pandering some more, and the quality of their future titles just going down the shitter.

Alex

Arcane
Look up sixth edition game jam on itch.io if you want a laugh.

This was people trying to "reclaim" D&D during the drama when it was just #firemikemearls.

Some people actually tried to sell their submission on there and a lot of it was jut narrative game junk because coming up with an actual system is hard.

So they'll "move on" not like it and come back and try to force change to 5e. Which is fine in all honesty OSR and 1e - 3.5e rules will always be out there and accessible.

Oh I really, really hope they find what they are looking for outside of 5e D&D because they have politized and toxified the game enough already with needless fucking drama and bullshit and absurdities.

They can never find what they look for, because what they really want is logically impossible.

Gyor

Savant
Yeah just play whatever you have right now. Time to stop supporting these idiots.

I have Savage Worlds, Blades in the Dark, 13th Age, and a few other titles which are all I'll ever need in this lifetime. The nice thing about RPGs is that the really good systems are there so all you need to do is homebrew your own shit. Heck, you can even mine older modules and sourcebooks for ideas. Goodwill, trust, and new players are more important for companies in this industry to stay alive. I hope the PC brigade has enough shekels to keep them afloat, because they will really need them.

It would be funny to see the mob cancel Wizards after all this pandering, then Wizards pandering some more, and the quality of their future titles just going down the shitter.

I still have some hope for the November release, I'm pretty sure it will have the final versions of the class feature variants that I want to see. But I will need to find out what the actual book is, before I have decided WotC has earned my trust back.

Bara

Arcane
If you end up liking the class variants in they're next release I'd just recommend finding it online and ripping the pages you want off a download as it's most likely going to be sandwiched between a bunch of reprint material or just flat out bland stuff.

After looking at the Theros release that's how I'm going about it in the future. Some of the ideas in Theros are good but what they presented was really boring and bland. Any DM could take what they came up with the piety system and twist it to something better.

Even third party creations are better as Odyssey of the Dragonlords just offered so much more. Like Theros didn't even have stat blocks for Titans from their own lore while Odyssey did that plus so much more on top.

Gyor

Savant
If you end up liking the class variants in they're next release I'd just recommend finding it online and ripping the pages you want off a download as it's most likely going to be sandwiched between a bunch of reprint material or just flat out bland stuff.

After looking at the Theros release that's how I'm going about it in the future. Some of the ideas in Theros are good but what they presented was really boring and bland. Any DM could take what they came up with the piety system and twist it to something better.

Even third party creations are better as Odyssey of the Dragonlords just offered so much more. Like Theros didn't even have stat blocks for Titans from their own lore while Odyssey did that plus so much more on top.

Thetrove is my friend. Its insane that the book didn't have stats for Titans. There was abunch of creatures that didn't get stats that were cool. The Archons mounts did not followel proper design for 5e Celestials, qhich is that ones that are CR 4 and 5 are supposed to have more then the usual utility spells to make sense if a Cleric summons one with the Conjure Celestial Spell.

They missed the second largest Akrosian city, one that appeared in one of the short stories.

Is it just me or Leonin not fit into the setting like at all? They aren't from Greek myth, or even inspired in a loose way, which is fine, but they don't fit into the religious nature of the setting.

They missed the opportunity to expand the setting to include the Archons homeland in detail.

Honestly as someone who regularly prays to Greek Gods, especially Hephaestus, often in RL, there is something frustrating about these settings, I keep thinking that I could do them better. Like why the fuck are Nymphs and Satyrs Fey, they should be celestials. I know in D&D they are fey, in Greek myth celestials make more sense.

There is so much more to ancient Greek religion then deity soap opera.

Honestly the religion in Theros feels like warmed over Forgotten Realms religion, but
with less impressive Gods.

There still remains the question of how Theros and Ravnica fit intonthe D&D cosmology.

Bara

Arcane
Honestly I feel like they're just letting DMsguild users write up and add the missing details for a lot of things to sell on that website. Why stat block your own titans when you can have some chump do it for you and take a portion of the profits vs paying some one to develop them for you.

In regards to the Leonin one justification I can give for them to be there while not really fitting in the setting is that Theros is an entire plane/world of Greek culture. There should more room for the Greek take on monsters or lore not typically associated with Greek myth since no matter where you go on the planet Greek influence reaches. Not that they did that particularly anyway.

As for mixing D&D and Theros settings I hope they never officially state or do anything about that if not flat out deny the mixture of the two. I do not want to see a terrible Planeswalker novel about how Jace winds up in Eberron or the like. It's fun as a side thing but a MTG campaign and D&D one should remain separate in my eyes.

I feel like the MTG settings are just wide open for bad DM's to have a planeswalker steel all the players thunder and go be badass while dumping on his party.

Also on the topic of wotc being lazy bastards I still can't beleive they've done two MTG splat books now and still nothing on a character awakening their planeswalker spark or anything? Like MTG likes to keep it vague so they could justify things on the fly when but still at least something would be nice.

deuxhero

Arcane
The biggest crime about MTG settings as D&D ones is there's no Planescape stuff. What's the point of adapting part of a game about planar travel without rules for planar travel?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom