Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WotC: "seven or eight" D&D video games are coming over the next few years

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
According to WotC president Chris Cocks, they have a slate of video games based on D&D and Magic, and also looking into TV series and movies: https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...ind-dd-magic-and-avalon-hill-innovate-w514703

And as with Magic, Wizards is starting to plumb the depths of the game’s rich lore and history. “We are looking at TV series or movie deals as well as more web-based content and actively pursuing a larger slate of video games for D&D,” Cocks says. “Right now we have a slate of four to five coming in 12 to 18 months and five or six set for 2020 and beyond across a variety of genres.” While that may sound like a lot, since 1987 there have already been more than 100 games based on the slew of D&D properties, he noted. “At its core, D&D has a couple things going for it: A rich lore and rich history and six or seven different worlds. That’s a rich vein to be able to tap into. Also, the history associated with it means that when you play D&D it feels very authentic because it’s a mature property and has had so many iterations of it. The secret to D&D is that really the rules are just guidelines.”

Of course I'm sure not all of them will be RPGs. You might have seen recently released D&D idle clicker and rather RPG-ish digital board game. But we know at least Beadog is working on a new D&D CRPG (and who knows if they have plans for other enhanced editions).

Also other noteworthy things form the interview.
  • There are also several Magic video games in the works: "We probably have a half dozen video games in development in addition to Arena, both from us and from partners. They include everything from trading card games to battlers to role-playing games to strategy games. Then we’re also working with partners like Fox on movie opportunities. And we’re introducing new comic books next year with IDW. We’re also exploring other opportunities like creating digital shorts."
  • Transformers trading card game is coming next year.
  • Looks like digital version of Axis and Allies is also coming. (Beamdog registered related domains some time ago. Are they working on it I wonder?) Axis and Allies and Zombies?
  • Chris Cocks says Baldur’s Gate inspired him to get into video game industry. He did Xbox marketing thing before joining WotC.

Last edited:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
marlon-wayans_DD.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
Realms Beyond, Low Magic Age, Knights of the Chalice 2...

There's three potential D&D games by 2020. Don't know of WotC will publish any themselves.
None of these are 5th edition or similar.

Fair point. I was just taking a cheap shot at WotC, underscoring that developers without the license could still deliver a better Dungeons & Dragons experience in that timeframe. Then again, it's questionable whether we will even get a real 5th edition cRPG from Wizards by 2020.

Mortmal

Arcane
I just want one good D&D CRPG. Is that really too fucking much to ask for?
It is, it cant possibly fit with their business model. It will card games or moba , at the very best some skyrim clone, anything bringing big bucks.The only true computer D&D rpg will be kingmaker and its not likely we will play that in 2018.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is, it cant possibly fit with their business model. It will card games or moba , at the very best some skyrim clone, anything bringing big bucks.The only true computer D&D rpg will be kingmaker and its not likely we will play that in 2018.

Don't forget Realms Beyond :M

Mortmal

Arcane

2018 JarlFrank ? Is there a release date set in stone, or will it be another one of those project who will drag years and years to finally be cancelled by lack of funding ? Not pointing finger especially at your team, but i have seen that happens so many time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well let's do some guessing game.

Confirmed:
- Beamdog's new D&D CRPG directed by David Gaider

Probable:
- Another enhanced editions by Beamdog
- Digital version of Betrayal at Baldur's Gate

Maybe?:
- Something related to D:OS 2 GM mode

Imagination:
- D&D Battle Royale
- Some console style action game
- nuXCOM-like turn based tactics
- Boo Simulator inspired by Goat Simulator

Mortmal

Arcane
Larian spoke about trying to get the rights for dragonlance long ago, but that was confidential. Could it be they finally acquired the license? Now that would be fantastic news and a real turn based D&D game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

2018 JarlFrank ? Is there a release date set in stone, or will it be another one of those project who will drag years and years to finally be cancelled by lack of funding ? Not pointing finger especially at your team, but i have seen that happens so many time.

We're aiming for 2019, and the project is already far enough in development that cancellation is unlikely.

But yeah, not 2018. And I doubt any D&D related RPGs are going to come out in 2018 (except maybe KotC2) because good RPGs need time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Larian spoke about trying to get the rights for dragonlance long ago, but that was confidential. Could it be they finally acquired the license? Now that would be fantastic news and a real turn based D&D game.
Actually, I wonder why this reminds me that Swen talked about 'big opportunity' a year or two ago.
thinking.png
While a D&D RPG on Divinity engine sounds too good to be true, it makes some business sense. D:OS 2 is a million seller after all.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
at the very best some skyrim clone

I know that this won't be a popular opinion here, but D&D Skyrim could be awesome. Clearly it'd take a step away from the turn-based rules, but imagining that they took some sort of pretty close compromise like in the IE games, that'd be pretty sweet. No idea how you'd navigate a caster's spell list in real time without getting wiped out though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course the main thing I'd like to see is some implementation of actual D&D rules and settings in a party based RPG whether turn based like the ToEE or the Gold Box games, or RTWP like the IE and NWN games.

Outside of that what I'd like to see more than D&D Skyrim is Dragon's Dogma with D&D classes and official monsters (even though Dragon's Dogma pretty much had official D&D monsters). Maybe more of a storyline and an actually finished game.

Being able to adventure around, having to consider things like lighting sources, fuel for them, maybe food, etc. Having your companion "pawn" system run by AIs - that'd be great.

But I'm sure what we'll actually see is more of that mobile phone clicker shit and screen saver tier garbage. Ugh. :negative:

Mortmal

Arcane
at the very best some skyrim clone

I know that this won't be a popular opinion here, but D&D Skyrim could be awesome. Clearly it'd take a step away from the turn-based rules, but imagining that they took some sort of pretty close compromise like in the IE games, that'd be pretty sweet. No idea how you'd navigate a caster's spell list in real time without getting wiped out though.
It could but not given to second hand studios, look at sword coast legend . Every D&D related releases were a disgrace in the last few years , the last good D&D thing was mask of the betrayer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The problem here is that WotC doesn't hire experienced RPG developers, but studios that haven't really done RPGs before. Obsidian, Larian, or even Bioware or inXile could make a decent D&D RPG but they're not making them.

Did the Sword Coast Legends team have any previous RPG credits? I don't remember any.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom