Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Would it be possible to recreate Arcanum in Neverwinter Nights 2?

Arcanchosin1

Educated
I was wondering if this was at all possible or should i just not even try?

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
It wouldn't work out. You won't be able to have enjoyable combat with guns, you wouldn't be able to import the technology side into NwN2, no schematics, no crafting. You're removing everything that made Arcanum good when you recreate it in the NwN2 engine. You wouldn't be able to recreate the stats either, nor the skill system.

likaq

Arcane
why use engine with such shitty camera control?
Why not use better engine?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You could possibly re-create the world of Arcanum in Electron, but not much else. If I remember correctly, the underlying mechanics of the engine were pretty rigid and editable. To be honest, I don't think anybody's been able to even get a boosted level-cap mod in the game yet.

It's not worth your time, better to start in Unity.

Cthulhu_is_love

My question is: What do you want to achieve with that?
I can't understand the eternal remake-rapefest. There obviously IS Arcanum:obviously: AND IT'S WORKING FINE.
Isn't the whole idea (like this gay Fallout 1-gamebryo-shit or the SS1-cancer lately) just for the degenerated aids-infested youth, who can't swallow amazing isometric lovely graphics?
Do you want to create something even remotely similar to a game by yourself but you're too uninspired to imagine something for yourself?

Is it the crowd of retarded kids who WILL play you're remake-shit but NEVER any mod which was created by yourself?

So the solution if you want to get into gamedesign and so on:
- 1. Create mods (or "unofficial patches":salute:) for yourself (cause nobody will ever play them:()
- 2. or fucking learn it from scratch with learning C/C++ maybe after you have learnt another easier language (e.g. C#) --> Vaporware

I recommend way 1. if you want to get fast progress

Have a pleasant day.:hug:

tl;dr DON'T

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't work out. You won't be able to have enjoyable combat with guns, you wouldn't be able to import the technology side into NwN2, no schematics, no crafting. You're removing everything that made Arcanum good when you recreate it in the NwN2 engine. You wouldn't be able to recreate the stats either, nor the skill system.

Isn't there already a series of modules that implemented guns in some fashion?

Neanderthal

Arcane

I wouldn't try if I were you mate, games just too fucking big for anything but a large team to pull off right, and only appeals to a certain niche who are like me happy enough to play the original. With Drog's mods o course.

Course i'd love to see the game remade in the ToEE engine (and maybe Dungeon Siege one) over NWN2 engine, they're far more suitable, whereas latter is still just clunky and a pain despite its modability.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm noticing a pattern here.

Next on the Codex: can I recreate Torment in the Silent Storm engine? Jagged Alliance 2 in the Divinity: Original Sin engine? Vampire: Bloodlines in Gamebryo?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
can I recreate Torment in the Silent Storm engine? Jagged Alliance 2 in the Divinity: Original Sin engine?
Torment in D:OS and Jagged Alliance in SS engines are possible though.

I don't know what's the point of doing it, it's not going to save Torment from being dogshit, that's for sure, and JA2 will take too much work to get running because maps/overworlds looked differently in those games.

Arcanchosin1

Educated
Thanks for the replies everyone, If i can't recreate it i wonder if i can make something similar in a gameplay type of experience with lots of choice and freedom?

Cthulhu_is_love

Nobody is preventing you from doing that, it's just a hell of work. So start working already!

I'm almost sure your vague idea about something you may or may not even start will be released (~2027) before Grimoire's yocto-issues are solved.

Edit: Just take Underrail:incline: as example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haraldur

Augur
I am currently playing NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer, and the combat is quite underwhelming. I get by with the AI doing everything. It plays itself.

Any chance of MotB in the Temple of Elemental Evil engine? That would be more worthwhile, in my opinion.

DeepOcean

Arcane
1) Arcanum is a buggy, unfinished mess with terrible combat but pretty interesting setting, pretty decent 2d graphics, interesting quests and some nice C&C.

2) Neverwinter Night 2 has a buggy engine that is an unfinished mess with terrible combat, with generic DnD assets and terrible 3D graphics.

3) Let's make Arcanum on NWN 2 engine.

4) ????????

5)PROFIT?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom