Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you count some eroges as jprgs?

Smigle

Literate
Artificial Academy 2 for example. I guess it fits the genre. Or the ones made with rpgmaker with visual novel style sex scenes, can't bring up any names now.

lightbane

Arcane
You mean Rance games? But of course!
Shame Steam pussied out won't do much besides Evenicle. It would have been glorious to expose naive, easily-changed minds to Rance's hyperweapon and piss off all of the feminists crazies.

Well, roleplaying as a simple schoolboy or whatever happens in those games so you can coom seems like peak immersive roleplaying.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Funny MegaTech used to send brochures to some mailing lists. I have no idea if their translations were good back in early 90s or not.

odd... did megatech try to westernize other IPs with none of their own:
795715.png

from the Dragon Knight series putting forth only a DKIII called Knights of Xentar

or
Cobra Mission from INOS PC-98

Or
Metal & Lace based on Ningyō Tsukai from Forest

or
Power Dolls from Kogado Software Products

hmmm...

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar
I think many of those are closer to being true RPGs than “serious” JRPGs with storytelling exceeding what most “serious” video games are willing to do with characters. You often select how the character feels & how the story progresses in many. And tbh the stakes can be higher when they don’t always revolve around a big bad destroying the world and a related power fantasy.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I think many of those are closer to being true RPGs than “serious” JRPGs with storytelling exceeding what most “serious” video games are willing to do with characters. You often select how the character feels & how the story progresses in many. And tbh the stakes can be higher when they don’t always revolve around a big bad destroying the world and a related power fantasy.
i want a eroge revolving around a big bad dragon destroying the world and a related penis fantasy

Ravielsk

Magister

True. Also mainstream JRPGs have this awful contrast between their ambitions and their execution where they want to tell a serious engaging story but due to age ratings have to tone everything down to borderline zero to a point where they are almost comedies. Characters die but there is not even a drop of blood or its happening mostly off-screen. Brutal shocking events are only ever described but never really shown so a "they burned my village and killed everyone" amounts to just some burned houses and not much else. Villains terrorize their victims with eternal magic based droughts but in practice it means people have only slightly dry lips.

Eroge do not have this problem as they can actually get "ugly" without some child protection group crapping their pants. In general they have a much greater range when it comes to themes and their execution than their mainstream counter parts as they do not feel the need to appease some fictional "consumer base".

Also not having characters openly trying to suck your dick is immeasurably more believable than walking around in what amounts to belt buckle bikini while acting like a sexless mannequin.

Arthandas

Prophet
Any recommendations other than the obvious ones like Rance, Evenicle or Kamidori Alchemy Meister?
Preferably something that can be bought without speaking ramen

Any recommendations other than the obvious ones like Rance, Evenicle or Kamidori Alchemy Meister?
Preferably something that can be bought without speaking ramen
First there are a few other Eushully games that have been translated.

There's the Utawarerumono series:

There's the Aselia the Eternal seires.

Baldur Sky is an ARPG/Visual novel

Sunrider Mask of Arcadius is 100% a free SRPG:

Arthandas

Prophet
There's also Eiyuu Senki and Venusblood FRONTEIR International:
Isn't Eiyu Senki just a worse version of Rance? Also, why not Eiyu Senki Gold?
VenusBlood looks mildly interesting though I'm off put by that generic fantasy setting.

Smigle

Literate
You mean Rance games? But of course!
Shame Steam pussied out won't do much besides Evenicle. It would have been glorious to expose naive, easily-changed minds to Rance's hyperweapon and piss off all of the feminists crazies.
Ah yes, Rance games would be something else. But maybe there's still a chance, there are lots of way more extreme games on Steam.

i want a eroge revolving around a big bad dragon destroying the world and a related penis fantasy
I want the slut dragons from Rick&Morty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom