Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
This idea came from that thread but I guess it deserves its own.

Now that I'm stuck in Mexico I got the itch to play WoW again. I dropped out during the first expansion, just before the last big content update, and haven't touched it since. I missed the other expansions and to be honest I do not feel the lack from what I read. Vanilla WoW on the other hand gave me many hours of fun roaming, questing, instancing and experimenting with stupid shit. The raid content was kinda boring all things considered but before I got there, I experienced something I never found anywhere else.

So there's this private server, as discussed in the other thread, that tries to replicate the old experience with original XP, reputation and honour gains. Being a private server it is obviously free and interestingly enough it doesn't accept donations at all—apparently the philosophy behind the server is that they will never accept any form of donation and will keep it free. The good news is that everyone should be on equal footing compared to other servers where a donation will you get unique items or bonus.

It'd be fun if more people were interested to make a Codex group or something, maybe bring back the Brotherhood of Butthurt if possible. I do not know if some of you are already present on that server, in which case this thread would be a good way to regroup people. Ideally we'd all be on the same side so if anyone is interested just post here and tell whether you'd rather go Alliance or Horde. Myself I'd rather go Horde since I played Alliance before but I'm not troubled either way.

Playing on that server is pretty straight-forward: first you'll obviously need to download the game (alternatively if you got your old WoW CDs or DVD you can use that) and patch it to the latest vanilla patch. Once the game is installed and patched, simply open realmlist.wtf in the WoW folder and replace its content with "set realmlist wow.therebirth.net".

While it downloads you can create your account on the Rebirth server. This should be easy enough. It's important to note however that this will let you create an account for the website and inside this one you will need to create an account (or more) for the game. The reason is that one WoW account can only have characters of the Alliance or the Horde but not both, and is also limited to eight characters maximum. Rebirth simply lets you link several game accounts with your website account for convenience.

I already got a lvl 11 Undead (Horde) Warlock but I can easily drop him and go Alliance if there people prefer to do that. I don't expect we'll get huge numbers, given the general hostility of the Codex to MMORPGs, but … WoW vanilla was fun and it's even better with people you know. So, anyone interested?

Come give it a try it's free!

Edit: Here's an archive with tons of mods compatible with WoW 1.12.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?pyvkq7qt9lk09dq

Obviously you do not want to install all of them but some can make your life easier from the start and you might find using others at higher levels. Right from the start I recommend using stuff like AutoProfit (adds a button in vendor screens to automatically sell junk), AdvancedTradeSkillWindow (improved menu for the professions) and Gatherer if you have a gathering job like mining or herbalism (keeps tracks of the gathering nodes you already harvested). Mobinfo2 is always worth considering as it keeps track of the enemies you fought, the XP they gave you, their health, loot statistics, etc.

Edit²: Currently we got:

Xor: Mode, Paladin
Wilian: 60 Wilian - Paladin; 60 Ariet - Rogue; 60 Shaimy - Warrior; Alts: 32 Mollamaija - Priest; 28 Eleriel - Hunter; 24 Fizzlewiz - Mage; 6 Furimalf - Druid
Gragt: Gragt, Warrior
Merkwürdigliebe: Mosinnagant, Rogue
Ninjerk: Nintoo, Priest

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Been playing there for two years now so if there's any questions I'm more than happy to answer. Pro-tip, join Alliance. Not only I am there, but we want balanced factions and Horde recently got quite the influx for players. It would be best for everyone involved if we can keep them factions to have some balance.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you want to play on a vanilla server I'd honestly recommend Emerald Dream as it is extremely stable and has a very large and active population. You will find groups for every instance and raid there is and will encounter other players in all zones.

Seriously, just look at these numbers:

http://www.feenixcensus.com

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Emerald Dream is like a cheap beer when you compare it to well cultivated wine like Rebirth. Sure you find it in abdunances but that's all there is to it.

And what comes to stability, we get constant flood of people whom are tired of apparent constant crashing ED has been suffering in past few months due to DDoS. Something that Rebirth thanks to new hosting methods have become entirely immune to.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
This site is currently not available...
Checkout Windows Azure Web Sites to learn more about creating and publishing to the Web quickly and easily

+M+M:dance:+M+M

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't get it, why are rebirth players such huge fanobys? You can play on whatever server you want, I tried both and I like to have other players around since this is still an mmo.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
This site is currently not available...
Checkout Windows Azure Web Sites to learn more about creating and publishing to the Web quickly and easily

+M+M:dance:+M+M

http://www.therebirth.net/PlayNow

Works fine for me.

I don't get it, why are rebirth players such huge fanobys? You can play on whatever server you want, I tried both and I like to have other players around since this is still an mmo.

It's because we sit on superior product, hampered by the sheep flock mentality of the people. The one and only reason ED has such large population is the fact that it is carried by their main donation servers of the Feenix project which feeds them with the population, which in turn attracts more population.

It also helps that thanks to income of their main servers, they can afford proper marketing. Rebirth, being no-donation server and having no off-servers for jewgolds cannot afford buying votebots.

Hell, they can't even make a simple raid boss like Hakkar function correctly after year of existing.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Been playing there for two years now so if there's any questions I'm more than happy to answer. Pro-tip, join Alliance. Not only I am there, but we want balanced factions and Horde recently got quite the influx for players. It would be best for everyone involved if we can keep them factions to have some balance.

The problem with WoW is that the factions were made in a rock-paper-scissor way except Blizzard didn't implement the paper at launch and the rock loves to pwn poor little scissor every Sunday.

More seriously though I could easily switch Alliance. I made that undead warlock mostly for fun and it took only a couple of hours to level it up to 11. That said I wonder if those stats show the active players or just those who tried, made a horde character and dropped it.

Actually I like my MMOs with few people and only some I know because people in general bore me. :D

Last edited:
Downloadan client, let's see how active the servers are, as far as I'm concerned low population really is no fun. After all the purpose of a game like this is player interaction, pvp, dungeons, etc.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Well I kinda agree with that, though it depends the players I interact with, hence the purpose of this thread. The thing is that, from what I've read about their stats, they get some hundreds of people joining, they complain about the population and leave. If they stuck around, you'd have a thriving population right there.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Kinda wondering what class to make … Not paladin as I already played one to death, though I liked it very much. Maybe a rogue or hunter … I'd actually like to try shaman but that would mean Horde.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Maybe a rogue or hunter … I'd actually like to try shaman but that would mean Horde.

Why wouldn't you play Horde? What is wrong with you?

Because some people have talked of going Alliance but so far I'm not sure anyone really jumped yet.

But Alliance is shit. Go Horde and gank those losers.

Again if people go and join, I will. And if no one joins, I will do it too. :)

Just waiting to see what's happening first.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
So how's the raids? Bosses scripted properly?

Apparently Molten Core, Zul'Gurub and Onyxia work the way they did on Blizzard servers. Blackwing Lair is still in the works, after which they'll start on Ahn'Qiraj and Naxxramas. When they open those instances, they plan to redo the Silithid and Undead invasions associated with them. As for other regular dungeons, some like Deadmines are certified 100% compatible with original behaviour, while most others are highly compatible with only a few minor broken triggers.

Kamoho

Savant
I wouldn't mind joining in on this, though I've a pretty strong preference for the Horde.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, like I said I'm on alliance and I don't really want to reroll again.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Well, I do have a level 24 rogue and 25 shaman on Horde side so I guess it'd not be the end of the world.

What's your name Xor?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron

Well if it's just you and me (And Wilian) I won't mind joining you. :) I think you posted your name and class in the other thread …

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I do have a level 24 rogue and 25 shaman on Horde side so I guess it'd not be the end of the world.

What's your name Xor?

Well if it's just you and me (And Wilian) I won't mind joining you. :) I think you posted your name and class in the other thread …
Mode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom