Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wrack - a 90s-style indie FPS that doesn't suck

DefJam101

Arcane
http://www.wrackgame.com/

I just played this on Steam early access and despite its early beta state, it doesn't suck. It's actually pretty damn good.

wrack_04.png

Wrack feels like a cross between Quake 2 and Doom with Painkiller/Quake 1-style movement. Lots of enemies, lots of running, lots of shooting, lots of pressing buttons and opening doors.

Stuff:

- There's a story, but you can skip all of it.

- Movement is very smooth and the player has noticeable momentum a la Doom or the Build engine games. Strafe running and strafe jumping with air control is in and with some practice you can use the latter to access secret areas.

- Health / ammo / armor pickups and powerups.

- The levels typically start you in a small "hub" area branching out into 2-3 maze-like sections reminiscent of Doom where you'll find switches to eventually open a door to the level boss. There are a lot of secrets, many of which are jumping puzzles.

- Levels are open. With a few exceptions you are always free to retreat into the previous room or bypass enemies altogether.

- Monsters typically do not teleport onto the map. They spawn in at map start and remain dormant until they spot the player. Once active, monsters are free to roam around the level.

- Guns adhere to the standard Doom/Quake loadout, with some twists to keep things interesting. The "plasma gun"-type weapon shoots in an arc, so you need to compensate for projectile drop at range, and the rocket launcher has a huge blast radius but a slow fire rate and low single-target damage, making it more of a long-range crowd control weapon. Every weapon except for the pistol feels solid and useful. I'd say the game needs at least 1-2 more weapons, though.

- Enemy design is very good. Only one enemy type (the big fat slow melee robot) struck me as redundant. They hit for big damage but, considering their speed, they pose no real threat.

- Boss design is uninspired.

- Music is pretty good. Nothing amazing. Same goes for the sound design. SHIT

- Game looks solid. Clear visual style and runs well even with 250+ monsters loaded in at once.

Not perfect, but for early beta, this one looks damn promising. Check it out.

Last edited:

DefJam101

Arcane
Cel-shading is a good way to achieve the kind of visual clarity you need in these sorts of games without upsetting the modern retard's sensibilities when it comes to graphics.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Cel-shading is fine. Looks okay at ____________________ (fill in the blanks).

grudgebringer

You forgot to mention that music was done by Robert Prince... Anyway level design was better when in early beta stage (before Steam). Right now levels are more expanded and open-spaced. I don't know why, but it makes it look like a blunt, diluted version.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Are the levels actually interesting from an exploration* and navigation standpoint?
*I mean "level exploration" in Doom/Build Engine style, not the "hiking sim" kind.

Or is it like in like in Painkiller/Serious Sam; serviceable, visually pretty, but mostly just one big room to run around in...

P.S.
Does it have actual secrets/secret levels, like the Doom/Build Engine games?

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Looks pretty cool, will put it on wishlist. Not really big on early access, but will buy if the finished product turns out well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Looks cool. Didn't played that type of game for years (without counting Quake Live, which doesn't catch my attention for more than hour) so cool to see something that's not another 2d platform or survival or minecraft clone.

Cel-shading? I thinks it better way than:
-another-pixelated-like-hell-indie-crap
-modern graphic crap with ton of blooms and effects that distract and make difficult to see shit.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks pretty fast and fluid. Thanks for the heads-up. Is there deathmatch?

Might try this one out. Let's see how it compares to Q3 and CPMA.

DefJam101

Arcane
Are the levels actually interesting from an exploration* and navigation standpoint?
*I mean "level exploration" in Doom/Build Engine style, not the "hiking sim" kind.
There really aren't any Painkiller/Serious Sam "giant arena battles". Once in a while a door will lock behind you, but it's always a quick ambush rather than a lengthy fight. Everything else is straight up Doom-style: enter area, monsters see you, monsters go rawr, you shoot monsters (or run by them), gib their corpses, and push buttons to unlock doors.

You can probably beat a couple of the available early access levels without killing any monsters at all (and most maps contain around 250-350 monsters). Considering how shitty and poorly paced most obligatory early game tutorial levels are these days, that's impressive.

DefJam101

Arcane
Is there deathmatch?
Lead developer says no, for now. Says he wants to focus on getting singleplayer just right before branching out into multiplayer. (Funny, considering prior to this game he worked on Skulltag.)

Might try this one out. Let's see how it compares to Q3 and CPMA.
Movement feels like a cross between vanilla Q3, Doom, and Painkiller. Circle jumping works like it does in CPMA, but with weird Painkilleresque floaty curvy air acceleration and Doom strafe running for normal movement.

Cassidy

Arcane
Is there deathmatch?
Lead developer says no, for now. Says he wants to focus on getting singleplayer just right before branching out into multiplayer. (Funny, considering prior to this game he worked on Skulltag.)

Skulltag was great. I can stomach the bad art direction(not as terrible as BattleShit 4 or Popamole of Duty, but still bad) if the gameplay is good. Will give this a try because this subgenre of FPS is almost dead, and living dead if you count only non shit games released in the last years.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The music is awful, but the rest of it looks like it could be entertaining. I like that an OLDSKOOL INDIE modern FPS finally figured out how not to control like you've got a refrigerator on your back. From the videos I've seen, it looks as smooth as an id game.

DefJam101

Arcane
Released.

Diagnosis so far, based on five minutes of play:
- Limited weaponset might become a problem.
- Music sucks dick.
- Running around shooting stuff still fun. Running around NOT shooting stuff even more fun.
- Flashy laser-chargin' Dragonball combo system may annoy some people. In other news, a recent study concluded that some people might be faggots.

I like my Doom clones the way I like my forums, flamboyant and full of autism

sexbad

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well, they made the guns feel better, but they kept the enemies. They're ugly, mostly robotic, and they all make some sort of screeching noise. It's really annoying, and the music is no better. They hired the guy who made Doom's soundtrack, but they must have conveniently forgot that the Doom soundtrack sounded suspiciously similar to other music of its time. He wouldn't easily get away with plagiarism these days, I'm supposing, so he gave them the most bored, uninspired sounding crap instead.

Also, for an engine that intricately replicates the feeling of movement in Quake 3, you'd expect that they would want you to be able to speed run their levels. All the doors open up very slowly, and I can't seem to open them preemptively with anything, so I keep hitting doors as I try to move fast around the first few levels.

DefJam101

Arcane
Also, for an engine that intricately replicates the feeling of movement in Quake 3, you'd expect that they would want you to be able to speed run their levels. All the doors open up very slowly, and I can't seem to open them preemptively with anything, so I keep hitting doors as I try to move fast around the first few levels.
Opening doors by shooting them a la Metroid would be a great change.

The campaign also seems short as fuck. I was under the impression there would be multiple episodes but it looks like the entire retail game is nine levels. Welp.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's bundle fodder. No surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom