Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - new Quake engine game from 3D Realms

geno

Savant
Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
The team behind Ion Maiden is working on a new Quake engine game

Ion Maiden is a brand new first-person shooter about a former Global Defense Force recruit on a mission to murder an evil transhumanist mastermind. Which is pretty cool, but what's cooler is that it's built using the Duke Nukem 3D's Build engine — an engine going on 22 years of age. It's in Early Access at the moment, but according to the Steam reviews so far it's very good.

The game's a collaboration between 3D Realms and 1C Entertainment. The team plans to release the game on consoles next year, but buried in an email announcing these plans is another, more interesting fact: the studios are also working on "a new unannounced FPS based on the original Quake engine".

That's all the information that's available: there's no name and no release window, but the prospect of a brand new game in id Software's pioneering engine is very exciting indeed. Interestingly, the last game to use the original Quake engine was the little-known 2005 top-down schump Silver Wings. But the engine also powered better-known games such as Hexen II, Malice and X-Men: The Ravages of the Apocalypse.

Update: The post originally said that "the team behind Ion Maiden" is working on the Quake-based project. Ion Maiden developer Voidpoint clarified that it is not involved in the new game, however. The partnership is between 1C and Ion Maiden publisher 3D Realms—and no, the irony of 3D Realms, famed for being the company behind the Build engine, making a new game in the Quake engine is not lost on us.

edit:
Just finished reading the comments and apparently this is not being developed by the Ion Maiden guys but by a different team altogether.

Frederik Schreiber:

Might also be the fact that Ion Maiden is developed by Voidpoint. The new game is being developed internally here at 3D Realms. Two different teams.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Posts by Frederik Schreiber, from Quake Champions forums of all places: https://steamcommunity.com/app/611500/discussions/0/1732090362062914089/

Just in case anyone's been out of the loop: this is not the same old 3DRealms. 3DRealms v2.0 is mostly known for the top-down Bombshell (developed by Interceptor), which was a failure, and the new Ion Maiden game, which is a lot more promising (and being developed by Voidpoint, which consists of Duke3D community members). This new Quake-engine game seems to be developed by some Russian developers.

Fred, partner in 3D Realms here.
Not factually true -

1. It is infact still the same good'ol 3D Realms, down to the original founder Scott Miller, and even original employees (Such as Joe Siegler, Bryan Turner etc.) We're actually still legally called Apogee Software ltd. d/b/a 3D Realms, and yes we are still located in Dallas, Texas (But also have an office in Europe, Denmark).

2. The game is not developed by Russian developers. It's developed internally here at 3D Realms. Even some Ion Maiden developers are on the team, as well as some of the guys known from the hugely popular Quake mod, Arcane Dimensions

The new 3D realms is run by people with real passion and respect for the players and the IP they acquired, but unfortunately it's a way too small team with a lack of very competent and creative minds (and funds, too).

Rise of the Triad reboot was quite amazing considering how they had to work on it, it was a mess, dated, and not as good as the original, but still fun. Bombshell seems okay at best, and Rad Rodgers looks fun, but it's really not enough to carry the 3D Realms name for years to come...

Ion Maiden looks phenomenal but no surprises seeing the devs behind it. About this new game ? Honestly, it can be really great. Ion Maiden proved old engines were better than new ones poorly used, and oh boy, does the community know how to handle these engines now, some of the newly maps made for Doom II are incredibly more fun and interesting to play than many modern "old-school-retro" shooters ones.

Thanks man! I was the game director on Rise of the Triad (it's a super personal project for me), and loved worked on it. Bombshell was haunted from the beginning, as it was not originally meant to be a Bombshell game. We basically had to develop a full game, on half a budget. But that's behind us, and these days we're looking forward. Ion Maiden was a pet-project of mine during the development of Bombshell. We always wanted to make a new FPS in the original build engine.

Who better to ally ourselves with, than the eDuke32 source-port developers Voidpoint, and the best of the best from the Duke3D community. I'm glad you like the game! These guys are killing it! Blood, sweat, and tears went into it, making sure it's as authentic as possible.

So, I guess denizens of Func_Msgboard is on board?

At least skacky is on board, I see!

Wunderbar

Arcane

soulburner

Cipher
Ion Maiden appears to be pretty damn good based on the beta version, so I am very, very excited about this Quake based project, especially after playing some of the Arcane Dimensions maps, which are just brilliant.

This is one of the Arcane Dimension guys onboard.

Also had a quick look on the 3D Realms discord for info, and well...

Fred1.PNG

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sock's tweet from July:

(I'd imagine 3D Realms contacted him when as soon as this plan was conceived but I guess it didn't work out? IIRC he's at Argentina, probably that?

Anyway I hope he finds the way to fund his works!)

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I really like playing doom wads, i tried Ion Maiden demo and liked it... But as much as I like old FPSs in general, quake never quite got me. I tried some of these new levels, some made by scacky, and they are amazingly beautiful, but I always thought those levels are more than quake gameplay deserve... I can't quite pinpoint what in quake gameplay that annoys me, but everytime i play it, I don't feel the fun I have playing games like doom, blood, dark forces, etc.

I'd rather they would do a build engine game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Who gives a fuck? Modern 3DR is a scam company and no amount of epic retro nostalgia meme bullshit will make their games anything other than trash.
It'll be a flop and/or never get finished, just like Ion Maiden. There's no reason to play these games when you can just play real Doom, Quake or Duke Nukem instead. They're shit and you're all retards for buying up this nostalgiafag garbage.

geno

Savant
Chad J. Thundercock
I care becuase some Arcane Dimensions devs are in.
TZ3K
So they will tease us like they did with Ion Maiden? Two or three years of blue balls again?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I hope they don't do anything to the movement (except maybe use Quakeworld movement instead).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I hope they don't do anything to the movement (except maybe use Quakeworld movement instead).
there better be some cool shit like being able to shift between walking on the floor and the ceiling

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom