Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - new Quake engine game from 3D Realms - now on Early Access

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by geno, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!

click the embedded tweet if you want to read all of it. it just screams of bullshit excuses to me though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    skacky posted on Twitter about it, here is the text:

I think some of the issues he mentions can be fixed with better tools, e.g. LIGHT sounds too slow (based on a question i made, not shown above) and the hidden surfaces shouldn't really be an issue even with 10+ yo hardware, though it may need a bit of engine work to avoid any overhead they may introduce. Though i don't know how many engine programmers they have on the team, if at all (their public GitHub repository for the engine doesn't show much activity but they might be doing internal development).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Basically, the meme-huge AD-style maps are to blame.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Yeah, I'm really not swallowing that excuse even tho there's obviously a tacit gentlemen's agreement to accept it whenever a dev invokes it.
    Thing is, it would actually be believable in relation to mid-range and AAA games. It isn't at all believable in relation to indie titles developed by one or a couple of devs for whom the work on said title isn't even a main occupation. Meaning you being cut off from your day job and having to spend more time at home would actually have opposite effect on the speed of game's development. Or you'd think so, for to my knowledge this certainly wasn't ever the case during this year and a half and there sure were a lot of pandemic-excuses amongst various indie devs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. soulburner Arbiter

soulburner
    Is the team using vanilla tools to build the game? I haven't built maps for Quake in decades, but the vis and light tools probably still run as a single thread. The tools would need some significant changes to make them run multithreaded and the whole build process could be reduced to a few seconds on a Threadripper. Also, the huge maps might be a problem. Size doesn't equal quality. Cut them into loading screens, like in Half-Life or Quake 2 even. Everybody knows this is a retro game using a retro engine, so the team shouldn't try and exceed the limits of this engine so much, unless they are willing to spend a big amount of time modernizing the code to a point of calling it their custom engine. They should work on Wrath like it's 1999 and not try prove at all costs they can make a game technology from 1996 be impressive 25 years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    they are using darkplaces iirc

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    They're using the Quake 3 mapping tools and map formats which do support multithreading (on a Threadripper you'd need to manually specify the thread count to fully take advantage of it but that's about it).

^ Top  
  8. geno Learned

geno
    Delayed to 2022.
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1000410/view/2948156118200289059

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Which still shits the bed a little on overly large Quake maps in my experience. But I use an older build thanks to Q1.5...maybe it's much improved since then.

I would imagine they will add loading screens. Only absolute retards make a big deal out of loading screens (unless they're ridiculously long in which case it does put a dampener on things).

^ Top  
  10. Retardo Educated

Retardo
    So, uh, if quake engine and tools are so bad and unwieldy, maybe they shouldnt have used them in the first place?
    Like, that guy with Dusk, who made actually pretty good quake-ish shooter with unity, or those guys with Amid Evil, who made godawesome boomer-style gfx and movement with UE4.

Seems that's the common problem with "new" 3D Realms, lots and lots of old-style shooters in the making, and only one properly released.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    ^ Top  
  11. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Yes, this is what he wrote in a reply:

Though TBH IMO this isn't some inherent issue with the Quake engine and tools, they could fix the issues they have if they had an engine programmer in their team, but at least judging from the GitHub history of their published code they've done almost no work on the engine itself and from what i understand they've also used the vanilla tools with no modifications at all. The Quake engine, even with the improvements made in DarkPlaces, was always meant to be modified at the source level to do what you want - there is only so much that you can do with QuakeC.

For example in another tweet he made he mentioned how despite the issues he had with DromEd, he liked that you can get into the game from inside the editor - this is something that should be quite easy to implement with some minor modifications to whatever Quake editor they're doing and some of their game code.

Considering they're very experienced with the Quake engine (which is why they picked it up in the first place), it'd make much more sense IMO to do that instead of trying to recreate the Quake feel in something else (and besides even some other modern retro Quake-like games, like Dusk, are still using Quake's tools for their map making).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.