Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wrath of the cringefinder compilation thread

notpl

Arbiter
There isn't really anything wrong with being transgender in a setting where magic can literally make you into a girl without a lifelong dependency on immunosuppressant medication and never-ending post-operative care for a cronenberg fleshrending surgery.
A man wanting to be a woman and a man having the delusion that he should be a woman are two very different things.
Maybe before magical intervention, but not after. You would be fully female, including your brain and everything derived from it. Like being under the effect of a feeblemind spell. The pre-transition psychological state doesn't really affect the outcome, I wouldn't think.

There isn't really anything wrong with being transgender in a setting where magic can literally make you into a girl without a lifelong dependency on immunosuppressant medication and never-ending post-operative care for a cronenberg fleshrending surgery.
I never liked this argument for tranny inclusion in fantasy. Not because it's ideologically tied and not arguing in good faith, as is often the case, but because if you think about it for more than two seconds it's stupid. In a fantasy setting where magic is common and used by just about everyone you might say that people could switch gender at will and people would think little of it since they are used to magic. Fine, but now explain why everyone isn't looking like supermodels if people have access to that sort of thing. Why aren't all the men looking like gigachads and why aren't all the women looking more voluptuous than Venus? If magic gives you physical changes like that easily why are there still manlets around and why are there people that look old?

It's just an excuse to get a fantasy game to be more like west coast America, with trannies on top of the zombie hordes and orc riots. But if it was actually taken seriously it'd totally change any setting into bio-horror. Why wouldn't a fighter grow a carapace instead of having a wizard nerd cast stoneskin on him every combat encounter while stealing his XP? If you could mold your body as you wanted you could copy someone else and use that for infiltration, are there things like metal detector barriers that detect magic influence on the body instead? Radicals might turn people into human bombs. There are endless consequences that would have on a society and given the radical changes to the human body required also have many applications outside of creating fully female transbians. Where are the hulking supersoldiers that guard the cities? What might women do to compete with each other if the limits were set in the flesh? How might a powerful ruler punish his enemies if given access to such transformative magic?

The people that use this argument above don't actually care about the setting, they just want current year America. It'd be cool if they were serious about it instead.
I don't think the change is implied to be easy, and quite a few powerful figures in the setting do manipulate their appearances freely according to their needs and whims, or are immortal.

A man wanting to be a woman and a man having the delusion that he should be a woman are two very different things.
Maybe before magical intervention, but not after. You would be fully female, including your brain and everything derived from it. Like being under the effect of a feeblemind spell. The pre-transition psychological state doesn't really affect the outcome, I wouldn't think.
A delusional person wouldn't stop being delusional after getting a magical sex change. They would continually develop new fixations and delusions.

Edit: For that matter, even assuming that gender dysphoria is separate from a delusional state, since the underlying problem with the person's brain causing gender dysphoria hasn't been treated with a Remove Disease spell, wouldn't the person who got transformed into the other sex just continue to have gender dysphoria in their new body?

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
explain why everyone isn't looking like supermodels if people have access to that sort of thing. Why aren't all the men looking like gigachads and why aren't all the women looking more voluptuous than Venus? If magic gives you physical changes like that easily why are there still manlets around and why are there people that look old?
Obviously, you haven't played Kingmaker. Or, if you did, your reading comprehension and memory are so poor that you do not remember a dialogue with Jubilost where he gives a perfect in-world explanation of why it is so.

I will not delineate more, but I will point out that most of the people in this and similar threads do not play the games they are bitching about. Which is telling. And cute.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
explain why everyone isn't looking like supermodels if people have access to that sort of thing. Why aren't all the men looking like gigachads and why aren't all the women looking more voluptuous than Venus? If magic gives you physical changes like that easily why are there still manlets around and why are there people that look old?
Obviously, you haven't played Kingmaker. Or, if you did, your reading comprehension and memory are so poor that you do not remember a dialogue with Jubilost where he gives a perfect in-world explanation of why it is so.

I will not delineate more, but I will point out that most of the people in this and similar threads do not play the games they are bitching about. Which is telling. And cute.
I'd argue still playing Wrath is far more embarrassing than never having played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom