Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF popups

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
You guys have any control over the pop ups? Normally they're just a small annoyance, but today's full screen virus crap, that couldn't be closed from the toolbar line, was a little over the top.

Before anyone goes on about Opera and such, I know already....but I tend to do alot of viewing here from work and installing Opera there isn't an option.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Nope, pop ups are controlled entirely by our hosts. Can you tell me what the pop up was, though? Or a link to it?

chiefnewo

Liturgist
Are you able to install the Google toolbar? It does a pretty good job of stopping popups.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Saint: If I see it again, I'll pay more attention. It was blue, with a bit about your pc has a virus, press enter to continue. It's pretty damn obnoxious, I couldn't alt-tab out, I couldn't right click it to close it, and it's popup window didn't even have a close box. The only way to get rid of it was to C-A-D and shut down IE.

chief: hmmm...isn't that the one with the spyware though?

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Use Opera (www.opera.com) as your browser - it has a setting to turn off all pop-ups. You might want to wait until v8 is released. The current iteration (7.11) is a little more unstable than previous ones, tho not so much that I would use anything else. It is my favorite browser and it is wicked fast.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
Sharpei_Diem said:
chief: hmmm...isn't that the one with the spyware though?

Don't know, Adaware didn't find anything the last time I ran it over my system. They have their page ranking thing which you can turn off, but otherwise I haven't heard about any spyware in it.

Voss

Erudite
I came across that one too. It also trys to pop your cd-drives open, to prove that you're vulnerable to viruses. Highly annoying

Psilon

Erudite
Actually, Sharpei, why not take a cue from your sig? Convince the IT Powers That Be to block popuptraffic.com and all should be well.

Jed

Cipher
My favorite pop-up concerns the upcoming California recall: it has photos of Arnold, Davis, Coleman, and teh bestest one: a creepy glamour shot of Larry Flynt.

headache

Novice
I have some details. It was fullscreen with a message in red: "Press enter key to continue" with an image of an enter key. It played an "uh-oh" sound I recogized from Worms World Party, and it even made my CD-Rom eject. When I C-A-D'd and shut down the IE window labeled "V I R U S A L E R T !" it went away. Yuck. But I bet it's already gone if your host is on top of things at all.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Psilon said:
Actually, Sharpei, why not take a cue from your sig? Convince the IT Powers That Be to block popuptraffic.com and all should be well.

lol. No, i'd rather avoid any kind of communication which might draw attention to my 'work' traffic ;)

Zetor

Arcane
If you have permission to edit windows files (which is a big 'if' in itself), find the hosts file:
- in 95/98 it's "hosts.sam" and is in windows/system I think
- in nt/2k/xp it's "hosts" (has no extension) and is in windows/system32/drivers/etc
It should have a ton of comments in it and a single line:
127.0.0.1 localhost
so add this line:
and presto! :P
Failing that, you can disable javascript by adding rpgcodex.com to the "restricted sites" list (tools-options-security) and disabling scripting altogether for those. Since the popups are javascript-powered, they won't bother you when javascript's disabled... and this way you can still navigate other pages that use javascript. (personal note: I hate flash, java (unless it's absolutely necessary) and javascript, but it's just me ;))

-- Z.
not a network engineer

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
on my PC i get no pop ups when going here, but when I use a mac from school I get a couple of popups when I come here. It's wierd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom