Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTH is going on in this game?Pls help noob with RTwP understand it

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
gvybehY.jpg

This was melee attack,I was able to move away while the animation was playing.I don't think this was the case with any RTwP game,you couldn't move until the combat round ended.Do I miss or not understand something?

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This is a pretty common thing in these types of games afaik, once the attack animation starts, it will hit regardless of how far you get away.

Azeot

Arbiter
yep, happens to me quite a lot. Think you're safe 10m away from the bad guy? think again
truth be told, I think it happened in old IE game too, so it shouldn't come as surprise.

Real time with pause is usually a turned based game where the ai controls your characters with no active dodging except maybe projectiles once you are targeted for an attack.

Azeot

Arbiter
not even projectiles in this case, I've seen arrows do U turns to catch the target

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
People should stop call it Real Time.

In the Pillars site they say this "...the systems use seconds (and fractions of seconds) instead of rounds...",wasn't one round in IE games 6 seconds how is that different?Just bullshits to free yourself from any solid rules or there is actually rounds in the game that are hidden?

I can't understand what happened in the example in my OP.Combat starts.I was running away as the drake was targeting me(super low HP targets are priority for AI I would guess),then for him to start attack animation shouldn't he engage in melee first (he didn't cast spell or used ranged attack)?If that is the rule ,then why I wasn't hit by opportunity attack for disengaging(doesn't that happen instantly no matter of speed and animation)?Poor combat log?Bug?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
I know is not latency,but they did it to smoothen the netcode so it don't cause desync.In D2 and PoE you can get out of melee range even if attack animation had started.As pretty much in any good real time game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Real time with pause is usually a turned based game where the ai controls your characters with no active dodging except maybe projectiles once you are targeted for an attack.

What the fuck am I reading

:what:

A lot of the mechanics are shared and what varies from turn based is (usually) mostly the movement. Rtwp may even delay starting movement until a player's turn comes up instead of moving in real time. This can lower kiting or trying to dodge manually. They can also get rid of the grid. I guess it would be more phased based without the auto-pauses since you likely tell the player what to do before the character's turn comes up.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yep, happens to me quite a lot. Think you're safe 10m away from the bad guy? think again
truth be told, I think it happened in old IE game too, so it shouldn't come as surprise.
Exactly, and Obsidian wants to stay true to the originals!

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

A lot of the mechanics are shared and what varies from turn based is (usually) mostly the movement. Rtwp may even delay starting movement until a player's turn comes up instead of moving in real time. This can lower kiting or trying to dodge manually. They can also get rid of the grid. I guess it would be more phased based without the auto-pauses since you likely tell the player what to do before the character's turn comes up.
Oh boy, not this returded shit again.
:abyssgazer:

DraQ

Arcane
Real time with pause is usually the worst of both worlds.
Abridged.

You'd expect it to somehow brilliantly combine responsiveness of RT with party control of TB, instead, you get responsiveness of TB and control somewhere between the two depending on how fast do you mash space.

tl;dr
The only good RTWP I've played was Homeworld, because it was free of faux-TB bullshitz.
+M
If you feel the need of faux-TB bullshitz, you'll probably be better served by true TB.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom