Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Didn't Egosoft say at some point TC would be the last game in the X series?

trym88

Scholar
Turisas said:
Didn't Egosoft say at some point TC would be the last game in the X series?

Yes, but I aprpreciate the lie, looking forward to the new X:D

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah too bad there's no way to compress time or get a jump drive for instant travel.

mr.doo

Educated
Wow that was kind of unexpected. I really enjoyed the first two games, and the third was pretty good too, looking forward whatever they come up with. :)

trym88

Scholar
Mighty Mouse said:
Ah X, 90% of the time spent waiting to reach the next destination.

Admit it, you stopped playing at the beginning, right? :>

MetalCraze

Arcane
It isn't like he missed much.

A square sector. Another square sector. And another square sector after square sector.
Gates leading to 4 square sectors at the edge of square sectors.

Moving batteries from square sector A to square sector B.

Hell yeah finally I buy me a new ship that flies 100 m/s faster in a square sector #492 and I'm only a month into the game!

turul

Augur
Egosoft has one of the best graphic engines in the world to display space and planets, and so are their graphical artists score above everyone else, when it comes to designing space ships and objects.

After all that said, I have to sadly conclude, that they don't know how to make a game.

If we draw a horizontal line, representing games, and the far right represents over simplified games, while the far left is unnecessarily overcomplicated ones, and Freelancer (From Chris Roberts-Digital Anvil/Origin) sits at the center of being the optimum, then the X series is in the far left side.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Many aspects of Freelancer were very simplistic and restricted - it's your loss if you felt that X series was too complicated, but not everyone felt that way.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There is nothing complicated about X series.

They are just grinding.

Buy for less. Sell for more. Repeat 1000x times.

Freelancer was as simple as they come but it included a well designed space where it was interesting to fly around for a while.

In X you always know what awaits you behind each gate. Another gate right in front of it.

turul

Augur
Turisas said:
Many aspects of Freelancer were very simplistic and restricted - it's your loss if you felt that X series was too complicated, but not everyone felt that way.

It wasn't finished, thanks to Micro$oft.

I did play X2, didn't' t really care about of the story, although I did finish it IIRC and went beyond. I couldn't bother much with X3, beside flying around for a visual pleasure.

Destroid

Arcane
I found their graphics in X3, while technically good, a bit crappy on the direction/design front. Especially the weapons, glowy blobs of awful.

Quilty

Magister
Freelancer was excellent for what it was. Made me realize I should stop jerking off over slow and boring imitations of Elite and just enjoy the fast and simple adventure with a sprinkling of exploration and economy.

Sometimes dumbing down isn't all that bad. :salute:

turul

Augur
Quilty said:
Freelancer was excellent for what it was. Made me realize I should stop jerking off over slow and boring imitations of Elite and just enjoy the fast and simple adventure with a sprinkling of exploration and economy.

Sometimes dumbing down isn't all that bad. :salute:

The "dumbing down" part only enraged religious joystick zealots, because of the game leaned towards simplified mouse+keyboard control. No crazy hat-switch and throttle adjusment via joystick and 400 page instruction manual on keyboard combos, just to fly straight.

Back then, I was following the whole development of the game, and Digital Anvil (Chris Robert's own dev team) was forced to release the game prematurely, due to the fascist corporate rule of Micro$oft, similar to EA and Biowhore, but unlike Biowhore, Christ didn't bend over for Microsucks and Digital Anvil no longer exist today. The game was gonna feature bigger space ships, more trades, more dialogs, more characters and longer storyline.

I sincerely hope that Egosoft has learned from their previous mistakes and manages to produce a product which is far superior to Terran Conflict... the re-introduction of actual nebulae would be a good start, as would internal docking and all of the other stuff present in X2 and not X3.

I can honestly say that I'm excited... but the question of weather or not they'll cock it up remains.

Baron

Arcane
Preview looks fantastic. Damn, I belong in dark space. Blade Runner, Babylon 5, Syndicate... give me a dark futuristic setting and let me trade, explore, scavenge and pirate like an Englishman in Africa. One day someone will do a worthy successor to SunDog: The Frozen Legacy or Origin's Space Rogue, where I can pirate about the galaxy, land on bases, repair my ship with actual parts, explore space ports, and press funny lookin' aliens for information with the threat of violence. I guess that's why I give Mass Effect a pass, it does some of these things well. Need to fuse Mass Effect, with the X series, GTA, and hell, Mechwarrior too. That's the game I'm trading real life for.

I hope I never see another elf or orc in my lifetime. Done with Western fantasy.

Lunac

Arcane
Another one? I just got an email from them today about this. I totally forgot they have my info somewhere. (I registered on their forums years ago) Egosoft's X series makes Derek Smart's BattleCrusiers series look playable in comparison. I got X3 Reunion like two years ago. I heard all about the great graphics, sandbox experience, and the rest. Basically, Battlecrusier series done right and more. I installed it and went WTF? It's like bunch of douchebag weekend warrior amateurs with computer science degrees from a local community college decided to try to emulate Derek Smart, and failed.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Lunac said:
Another one? I just got an email from them today about this. I totally forgot they have my info somewhere. (I registered on their forums years ago) Egosoft's X series makes Derek Smart's BattleCrusiers series look playable in comparison. I got X3 Reunion like two years ago. I heard all about the great graphics, sandbox experience, and the rest. Basically, Battlecrusier series done right and more. I installed it and went WTF? It's like bunch of douchebag weekend warrior amateurs with computer science degrees from a local community college decided to try to emulate Derek Smart, and failed.

Nah, you just fucking suck. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom