Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mexi Fuuuk...another 5 years minimum?. I mean if they rush this stuff out the door, it'll probably kill grandma, so at least 5 years for worldwide approval?.

The Star Wars guy was banging everything out in X3, but I think X4 is much harder to mod. The Battlestar Galactica mod guys said they were ready to update their mod in 2017, and that was the last post they made.

The Salvage Command Suite guy was just about to release V5 of hs mod to be compatible with Litcube's Universe...and that was in 2012.

I think the Starwars Litcube universe mod is just finding its feet now. So considering X3 was release almost 10 years ago...yeah at least 5 years being fabulously optimistic.

Also, I've got my BSG Viper clocked at 1200m/s and can manage combat fine. Same with the Millenium Falcon when I had Star Wars in there. With your AI controlled ships (such as scouts and universe explorers) you should beef up their ship handling so they don't collide with crap. I normally cap them at about 600-800m/s and ensure they have at least 600mj of shields.

Never tried giving my fleets of fighters too much speed. And it seems to really screw with the M1s and M2s if they're too fast.

Perkel

Arcane
Playing lately 4.0 beta and game really feels good. Capital ships now constantly regenerate shields so you can't use your pea shooter to take down cap ship without horde of them. Long range scanning and scanning got small update so that you can see long range scan effectivness while scanning mode has rado signal pointer which allows you to localize direction of leaks etc. It is much much smoother to play with those changes.

New Volumetric clouds of gas are pretty nice and fleet management UI got a lot of upgrades to better manage fleet. They also added separate UI screen with crew management. So you can see in one screen where everyone works and you can change easily where someone works.

4.0 beta 5 released and it introduces... "terraforming". I am yet to try it but basically you will be able to convert some planets to be "sinks" for goods. It requires PHQ as it is research option after teleportation.

It is harder to mod because it is new engine and there is much more fidelity in making assets. You just don't paint textures, you need shaders, materials etc. You just don't spawn ships and give them hardpoints for weapons. You need to have enter/exit and fit into it cockpit also make sure your weapons have space for gimballs.

Playing lately 4.0 beta and game really feels good. Capital ships now constantly regenerate shields so you can't use your pea shooter to take down cap ship without horde of them. Long range scanning and scanning got small update so that you can see long range scan effectivness while scanning mode has rado signal pointer which allows you to localize direction of leaks etc. It is much much smoother to play with those changes.

New Volumetric clouds of gas are pretty nice and fleet management UI got a lot of upgrades to better manage fleet. They also added separate UI screen with crew management. So you can see in one screen where everyone works and you can change easily where someone works.

4.0 beta 5 released and it introduces... "terraforming". I am yet to try it but basically you will be able to convert some planets to be "sinks" for goods. It requires PHQ as it is research option after teleportation.

It is harder to mod because it is new engine and there is much more fidelity in making assets. You just don't paint textures, you need shaders, materials etc. You just don't spawn ships and give them hardpoints for weapons. You need to have enter/exit and fit into it cockpit also make sure your weapons have space for gimballs.

I might pop back on and give the game another look when the new expansion launches. I really like the look of the Star Wars mod. And they're adding Star Destroyer interiors now, so X4 is already 3 quarters of the way to my dream game.

Perkel

Arcane
BTW here is the latest map of X4 with Split DLC and future DLCs positions. Mind you that Egosoft said that this will be bigger expansion than Split map wise. There is also third expansion in the works which was announced (work announcement not name etc) this should be Borons as they are the only major race that is not in but one of the hardest to implement.

edit: On different note. Current 4.0 is beta 5. So proper release date should be announced shortly, last time they did Split DLC beta went to like 6

edit2: Also worth noting is how fast they are making those expansions:

2019 november - X4
2020 april - Split DLC
2020 november - Terran DLC but it slipped to Q1 2021 due to Covid
2021 summer/fall - Borons ?
2021Q4/2022Q1 - non faction DLC (more ships ?)

unknown.png

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I bought and played on release for 30hours and loved it. Can only imagine how much better it is in its current state.
Had to stop playing as i had a 2GB video card and the game started glitching due to not enough memory.
Once 4.0 is release ill start a new game.
Currently playing X Beyond the Frontier just because, and its actually pretty damn fun, although basic compared to sequels.

Perkel

Arcane
speaking of X4 and future:

unknown.png

Split DLC and updates definitely helped game. After initial release bump game was steadily declining reaching about 800 players for good few months. After Split DLC it never goes down below 1,5k players. With Terran DLC and 4.0 i think a lot of people will be checking it out and amount of people will definitely go up.

Blake00

Learned
That's great to see. I'm a huge X fan but I don't have a PC capable of running X4 atm so haven't been able to try it yet. I really hope they do a Boron DLC. Fans have givewn plenty of suggestions on how to combat the water based issue. Giant water tanks, encounter suits.. you name it lol.

ADL

Prophet
Have they said whether or not there are plans for more than two expansions? I just read the listing for the deluxe edition I bought and caught this.
Access to the first two expansions for X4: Foundations.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Playing lately 4.0 beta and game really feels good. Capital ships now constantly regenerate shields so you can't use your pea shooter to take down cap ship without horde of them.

So they went back to the way things were in he first 2 games, reversing something universally hated in X3 and Stillbirth.

Wow at this rate they might bring back jump drives and you'll still suck their EgoCocks.

Perkel

Arcane
Playing lately 4.0 beta and game really feels good. Capital ships now constantly regenerate shields so you can't use your pea shooter to take down cap ship without horde of them.

So they went back to the way things were in he first 2 games, reversing something universally hated in X3 and Stillbirth.

Wow at this rate they might bring back jump drives and you'll still suck their EgoCocks.

X3 shields regenerated constantly. It was only stillbirth that did that and X4 up until patch.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I bought and played on release for 30hours and loved it. Can only imagine how much better it is in its current state.
Had to stop playing as i had a 2GB video card and the game started glitching due to not enough memory.
Once 4.0 is release ill start a new game.
Currently playing X Beyond the Frontier just because, and its actually pretty damn fun, although basic compared to sequels.

Basic yes - limitations of the time. But the game is a lot more focused, it actually has a point and an ending.

oh yeah this new beta is amazing, you can terraform planets you still can't fucking land on.

Imagine having an army of fans clamoring for being able to visit a city in an RPG, but instead you make it so the player can spend vast amounts of time and money to change the colour of the city. PROGRESS!

Perkel

Arcane
Terraforming. Basically you have planetary improvements you could build and this has an effect on planet creating sink holes for goods. I am yet to try it but i hope it will push end game players to really focus on production and delivery. Could be reasonable end game goal.

Terraforming. Basically you have planetary improvements you could build and this has an effect on planet creating sink holes for goods. I am yet to try it but i hope it will push end game players to really focus on production and delivery. Could be reasonable end game goal.

I like the idea of this. But it still seems like a gimmick in a space sim. Especially if you can't meaningfully interact with the planet afterwards. I doubt we'll ever get planets we can land on in X4 but I hate the idea all this does is change some numbers in the invisible simulation.

Perkel

Arcane
It creates sink which earns you money, so it is meaningful. Though like with most of the things in X4 it is probably just V1. There will be V2 and so on.

Perkel

Arcane
they also changed classes. just s-m-l-xl now. Basically they did that for newbs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What does the terraforming let you do? I still want this game but I still want it to get better first -.-

Perkel

Arcane
What does the terraforming let you do? I still want this game but I still want it to get better first -.-

It is end game goal. It creates "sinks" for goods to be sold. It needs though serious investment. I am yet to try that feature in beta.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

It is end game goal. It creates "sinks" for goods to be sold. It needs though serious investment. I am yet to try that feature in beta.
You mean it's for the AI? Is there any reason a player would spend his money on this thing?

Perkel

Arcane
You mean it's for the AI? Is there any reason a player would spend his money on this thing?

I don't think you understand concept of "sink". It creates new market to sell your goods. Which means you earn even more money this way. Moreover it doesn't have upper limit so it will always consume resources and it can't stall.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

I don't think you understand concept of "sink". It creates new market to sell your goods. Which means you earn even more money this way. Moreover it doesn't have upper limit so it will always consume resources and it can't stall.
You didn't understand my question. Is the AI terraforming his planets and buying goods for that purpose or is terraforming something that the player has to do?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Player, because u need the HQ for it

You get the player HQ like 30 minutes into the game though. It's an absolute fucking joke TBH. Start with a puny fighter as a nobody, do like 3 missions and own the largest station in the galaxy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom