Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Instead of doing something interesting with XCOM 2, like new cthulu aliens from the depths of the ocean, they made most of the enemies human.

The Marvel license should inject some much needed variety, and hopefully that isn't limited to the characters you control.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    I think it all depends on how much sandbox they will allow, if there will be pre-written characters and classes you cannot modify, with linear cringy Marvel narrative in the way, then it's doomed because it would just be a branded Chimera Squad, which is a total disaster and the IP is doomed

^ Top  
  3. J1M Arcane

J1M
    I don't find much value in choosing between the good skill and the bad skill when a squad member gets stronger. I would be completely fine with no talent tree-style customization. The choice between bringing Iron Man or Hulk on a mission would be more interesting.

Though I also really like the idea of them doing something like The Boys, where you have to equip a squad to take out a specific super hero/villain.

^ Top  
  4. jac8awol Savant

jac8awol
    I think we can all see that this game is going to be a mega hit, bring new people into the genre, probably change the direction of tactical turnbaseds and spawn a decade of mainstream commercial products. Some of them might even be decent. Others... well you can control the Suicide Squad and assault Superman's fortress, yeeha.

But all we wanted was XCOM 3 :(

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize Chimera Squad was just their dry run for the project. Dumb XCOM down a bit, insert woke propaganda and see how it's received. It got a mostly positive reception, so adding the glitz of Marvel will knock this thing out of the park.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Hard to see where they could take the actual XCOM story though, I mean it's basically done isn't it?

One thing is that you could combine XCOM with XCOM2 in having a team of XCOM space explorers be the vanguard of alien anti-alien resistance on other planets. That way you'd have the anti-alien-invasion scenario combined with the resistance scenario.

The downside is that you'd be defending yet other aliens, so there wouldn't be the visceral sense of defending your own world that XCOM had. But it might be interesting to explore "innocent" alien cultures that you're helping resist.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    You can always make it similar to Xcom 1 but with managing your space fleet looking to do first strike on whatever aliens Elders were afraid of. Of those enemies could come to Earth and bring a whole new bunch of enemies for us to fight. We could start with Plasma Rifles and then go into Disruptor tech, Antimatter rifles and shit :D It is SF.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. jac8awol Savant

jac8awol
    Cool ideas. Could even be like humanity lost Earth and XCOM 3 starts off on some distant planet that the last humans fled to undetected, using stolen Elder tech just before Earth fell. They've been there for generations, centuries whatever, just started getting their shit together on the new world, then one day bam invasion time again you losers. "We've already lost one home world. It won't happen again. XCOM 3."

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    We could have had Terror from the Deep, but no, gotta have capeshit instead because of muh wider market. Fucking American corporations.

^ Top  
  9. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    There was a big teaser at the end of XCOM 2, implying that the Elders were preparing for a conflict with a much greater threat, and there was some glowing stuff coming from the bottom of the ocean.

^ Top  
  10. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    It will be set 600 years in the future on Earth and you will be playing as sexy mutant pirate gals.

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    In this day and age they will be gender fluid.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Development on that seems to have kinda stalled up against the limitations of the old engine, though.

^ Top  
  13. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    It's Firaxis. You'll play a diverse crowd of different sexualities, ethnicities, races and disabilities.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. J1M Arcane

J1M
    -An ancient threat awakens from the oceans to reclaim the earth
    -Stargate SG-1 'spiritual successor'
    -Defend humanity's first colony world in deep space
    -Tactical combat with ships instead of people, Oregon Trail in Space
    -Coordinate the defense of several star systems, with an additional logistics strategy layer above the tactical and base building layers

There's lots of great ideas when you don't allow genderfluid alien hybrids into the lore.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It's been a few years since I played last and I felt like more XCOM. I downloaded a few dozen mods and kicked off a Legend run.

Strategically it went very well but then I almost wiped on the Avenger Defense mission, got just enough healthy people left for a retaliation mission. But they were mostly squaddies or corporals and the retaliation mission was all about Archons, Mutons and Zerkers. First they killed most of the civilians in like the first 4 turns and in the next 3 half of my squad was dead. Campaign over, out of the blue. Up until then I aced the missions, got maybe 2 rookies dead tops.

Not sure what I did wrong. The Avenger Defense mission was utterly absurd, mountains and mountains of meat thrown my way, peppered with constant disables like Mind Control or Shadowbound. The difficulty spike was retarded. I'm amazed the campaign didn't end right there. I don't remember this from vanilla Legend runs, I guess I overdid it with the mods, some of them might have added some weaponized autism in the game. Or maybe 2K upped the difficulty? Last time I played Legend was shortly after the release, maybe people complained about it being too easy. But holy fuck did I get wrecked like a helpless puppy.

^ Top  
  16. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    I've played w/o mods on highest difficulty a year ago or so and it was also a huge difficulty spike for me, I had to replay it several times not to mention some reloads here and there. Although it was a pretty hardcore experience overall, not gonna lie.

^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah this mission seems to be tuned for hardcore savescumming. Which I fucking hate. I very rarely savescum, usually after a misclick or when something truly catastrophic happens that would require a campaign restart. But multiple savescumming after every single move? Nope, I don't enjoy that at all.

I'm now reading the only good strat on Legend is to p. much cheese it - run with your Reaper or a cloaked Ranger to the beacon, shoot it a few times with your snipers and lift off. Great design Firaxis.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Yeah that's what I remember as well - my Reaper was crucial in this (or two of them). Nah, I think that's ok to tune the highest difficulty around more or less specific set-up or strategy in general.

^ Top  
  19. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Could go with the UFO:Afterlight route and have a small group of settlers on another planet awaken alien life and have to make do starting with just ad hoc construction and demolition equipment.

^ Top  
  20. Nikanuur Learned Patron

Nikanuur
    What?! You want him to use an explosive metal and a very poisonous gas at the same time? Nothing good can come out of it!

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nikanuur Learned Patron

Nikanuur
    By the way, is it only my eyes, or the new launcher from the developer supports mods in a good way? The last time I ran the game, I didn't have to run the alternative launcher for the Commander's Choice mode. Or so it seems at least, the game has detected the mod.

^ Top  
  22. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    Which mods are you using? Are you trying to keep it grounded or as crazy as possible?

I remember when I played I used one called RPG Overhaul, which made leveling your soldiers very fun (each soldier had like 10 or 15 class trees and you could put points in any of them, you can allocate stat points on level up and you can give any weapon and equipment to any soldier). It also comes with additional optional class mods, some of which break the game, like the dual gunner, which can attack several times per turn and for some reason 2 plasma pistols do more damage than a plasma cannon. To compensate the game breaking stuff I added a lot of modded enemies.

If you're looking to spice your game up, I highly recommend it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Nice, I'll try the overhaul in my next run, altho I'm wary of custom classes, I tried a few last time I played (I think Jedi, Specs Ops and others) and they did seem a bit too gamebreaking. Right now I've removed all class mods except for Rocketeer - fun and balanced.

Btw I'm going with Commander/Ironman right now and I enjoy it so much more than Legend. I guess I need a few dozen hours more in the game before I can take on Legend/Ironman again.

^ Top  
  24. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    The default custom class trees that RPGO comes with are all quite tame. Rocketeer is among them, iirc. I remember there being a grenade focused class, flamethrower focused class, dedicated medic, dedicated scout, stuff like that. It's the optional add-ons to the mod that end up being game breaking but since they are optional you can just not use them although my personal approach is to add all the broken shit but also add a lot of mods that increase difficulty to compensate.

^ Top  
  25. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    So this is what just happened - Blacksite mission, cleared most of the map, including the Assassin. I'm guessing there's one more group in the back from the vial spot. Got four members plus one dude unconscious and stabilized (a single crit slash from the Assassin, can't prevent that). Everybody is full health and ready to kick ass.

Moving carefully but one of my dude still reveals the last group - a Spectre and two Vipers. I finish my moves. Now is the enemy turn:
    - Spectre: Shadowbound my Templar
    - 1st Viper: Grabs my Reaper
    - 2nd Viper: Grabs my Rocketeer

The only one left is my Sharpshooter. She tries to shoot one Viper but misses an 82% shot because this is XCOM and 80%+ shots are always fifty-fifty. Next turn the shadowbounded Templar runs up to her and kills her in one slash.

Mission over and campaign probably also over because there goes my elite squad with all the PCS, mods and hunter weps I had. A bunch of bare-arsed rookies, a few corporals and two sarges is all I have left.

I could try to carry on but I'm so salty over this I feel like restarting the campaign. Having three disablers in one pod in this early-game mission feels like the cheapest bullshit imaginable.

Do ya'll restart when something so retarded happens and the game blows a gigantic hole in your campaign or you just carry on, knowing you might be doomed anyway but you only find out 10 hours later?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.