Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XenForo Tips & Tricks

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
One of my gripes with XenForo (the forum software that we're using here) is that it doesn't come with a user manual. Unfortunately, the XF developers have no intention of providing one, despite new features constantly being added to the software. While the basic functionality is easy enough to grasp, there is plenty of more advanced or less obvious or less commonly used functionality that many users who aren't very familiar with XF never discover or notice on their own.

Providing a full manual would be too much work, but many users can contribute a tip or two and eventually this thread will host a plethora of useful information, especially for those not familiar with XenForo.

I'll start with a few features that have been there for a long time, but many users are still not aware of:

How to quickly quote one or more parts of somebody's post?

Simply select any part of the text that you want to quote in a post and click on the "Reply" link that appears in the tooltip. You'll immediately be whisked down to the editor and the selected text will already be conveniently quoted for you. Repeat as often as necessary.

More advanced users can also utilize the "+Quote" link in the tooltip to store several chunks of text to reply to. When ready, scroll down to the post editor and click on the "Insert quotes..." button below the text entry field.

How to change the font size to the smaller one the old Codex forums used?

Scroll to the bottom left of any page and click on the style chooser link next to the paintbrush icon and select one of the Small Font styles.

What is the difference between the Fluid and Fixed Width styles available from the style chooser?

Fluid = Infinitely stretched content area, so the more horizontal space on your monitor, the longer every line of text will be to read. Generally, this is considered harder to read.

Fixed Width = The content area is limited to a fixed width. Especially on larger monitors and resolutions, this is easier to read as it is closer to the comfort of reading a newspaper/magazine column or a book.

How to quickly send someone a private message?

Find one of their forum posts, click on their username above their avatar and hit the "Start conversation" button. The "Start chat" button next to the "Start conversation" will open a private 1:1 chat room instead of a classic private message thread.

How to bookmark a post?

Look for the bookmark tag icon on top right of every individual post. Clicking the icon produces an internal XF bookmark, putting the tagged post in a list of internal bookmarks under your account, accessible here. The list is also easily accessible by clicking your top-right avatar, then switching to the Bookmarks tab in the dropdown.

How to remove text before and after the quote without deleting the quote?

Hold Shift while pressing Backspace/Delete.

How to quote parts of the same message separately?

When replying to a message, you can press Enter between the lines to split it into two proper quotes of that message. This means that you don't need to multi-quote or copy-paste {quote} markup manually.
Before:
1658928024330.png

After:
1658928039930.png

Images are too big when embedding them in posts!

You can adjust the image size after single-clicking on them.
1683213273058-png.35875

--
I'll be adding more entries here as they occur to me.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In order to have a text striked through, you can select the text and press Ctrl+S.
In order to have a text underlined, you can select the text and press Ctrl+U.

You can get those as well by clicking on the three dots in the editor next to the color palette, but who ever clicks those dots?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also, when you open a thread, you may not notice this, but there's a gray bar on the right side of the window. If you "pull it down", so to speak, you will see more replies in the thread. This is called "scrolling".

If you scroll a thread all the way down, there's a reply box. If you type letters into it and hit "Post reply", they appear in the thread for everyone. Some people might not know this. Taluntain have you considered making a video tutorial about it?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Consider adding to the first post:

How to remove text before and after the quote without deleting the quote? Hold Shift while pressing Backspace/Delete.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
  • Empty quotes are removed automatically
  • If you quote a post and want to add something to the top of the post, hit enter.
  • If you want to remove the quote box from a quote at the beginning of a reply you're writing, press enter at the beginning of the first line, and then delete.
  • To open a new line in the quote, press S-RET. To open a new line without the quote box, press RET.
  • Paste without formatting via C-S-v

fork

I want to ignore threads, not users. Please re-implement that feature (or tell me where to find it, should I be indeed that blind).

A lot of people don't realise this but they can save a lot of mental health problems by clicking their username at the top right, clicking logout, and never logging in again.
Sadly there’s no helpful tip in there on how to stay logged out.

I'd knew several, but they're all a bit drastic.

New format is terrible for mobile. Top bar w/ web address and my notifications takes up 1/4 of screen, even when scrolled down (it should only exist when scrolled to the top of the page).

Additionally, looks like we have some new ads on the bottom 1/4 of the screen that won't go away even if you click the X on the bottom.

Additionally when scrolling arrows appears on the right hand side.

My god it's shit. Any tips to help on mobile?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
You realize the url bar is part of the browser and has nothing to do with the Codex, right? The Codex bar only takes a single row.

You can donate a few bucks and get rid of all the ads.

Uh yea, the arrows are useful, I use them all the time.

Getting a bigger mobile would solve all your problems.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not a double click. It's clicking twice.

Learn the difference, filthy casuls

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How do you collapse a picture in a quoted message into a "view attachment" link?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom