Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Xeno-ITZ: Ultimate doom expansion set for Kodexia

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
How I manage to level up and get a promotion when I don't do anything during combat, I'll never know.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The job of the rifleman is to soften up xenos so someone else can take the glory. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
you're just saying that so I can get a bunch of people killed and hasten your turn in the spotlight :P

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nope, I genuinely mean it. I only used a shield guy once so far. He got hit once and died on his first mission. Never looked back.

Ashery

Prophet
Nope, I genuinely mean it. I only used a shield guy once so far. He got hit once and died on his first mission. Never looked back.

If soldiers were free, you could make an argument for that, but shields will typically absorb one solid hit before melting, a hit that would've pretty much been guaranteed to kill the soldier.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I like shield guys. They're great for soaking reaction fire and lobbing flashbangs. If they die, the loss isn't felt as strongly either, as it would with a well-developed sniper for instance.

Modron

Arcane
Shield maidens are pawns their soul purpose is to make it easier for the rest of the team to live at the cost of their own life; should they survive and develop decently they can branch out to other load-outs.

Edit: also god damn this game needs to come out already.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
n2j702V.jpg

:love:
This is now the shieldmaiden appreciation thread.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great update! I survived, wooh! Also our scientists are sick freaks, gotta wonder if it's really the xenos that are evil.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
How do you stuff 50 camels into a bank account?

There is a joke here somewhere.

spekkio

Arcane
Shieldmaidens were certainly useful in V21: scouts with high AP values and high survival chance due to shields being very effective in protection.
Not so sure about their usefulness now, after them being0 nerfed - if the Shieldmaiden can't survive a single shot (when in cover and with fully-functional shield)... then what's the point of using them?

:(

Eyeball

Arcane
Didn't use the shieldmaidens last time I played this, but I do appreciate the callous reasoning of the devs. They knew very well that in XCOM, every skyranger had at least 1 rookie crewmember whose standing orders were "Hey FNG, how about you run first out of the skyranger straight at that dense foliage straight ahead? Don't worry, it's totally safe!"

At least with shields, these lambs to the slaughter have a chance to make it to see their second mission.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Count me in! Count me in! All in all, I was the last man standing in your original playthrough!

Ashery

Prophet
Shieldmaidens were certainly useful in V21: scouts with high AP values and high survival chance due to shields being very effective in protection.
Not so sure about their usefulness now, after them being0 nerfed - if the Shieldmaiden can't survive a single shot (when in cover and with fully-functional shield)... then what's the point of using them?

:(

Part of the issue is that they both bumped up the plasma rifle's damage by ~20 and dropped it's armor penetration by around the same. It ended up being a slight bump to jackal armor, but as shields don't have an armor value, it was yet another nerf to early game shields.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
...and with that our ironman save is corrupted and this Let's Play is over.

TFcT5b5.jpg

:troll:

This is why I didn't toggle enforced ironman up. :3 I rolled back to the last save. Update will be slightly delayed.

[edit]

Guess I jinxed it. Work came up. It'll be this weekend instead.

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
Well when you have the chance sign me up for some plasma fueled anal probing xeno-slaying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom