Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch)

Sentinel

Arcane
it was the same for 2 iirc, just because he doesn't personally write the scripts doesn't mean he's not overseeing everything and approving/disapproving stuff.
Takahashi is credited as a writer in XC2.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
XB1:
XB2:

we'll have to see what the credits say when the game comes out, do you have links to the blog posts about 2 where he mentions his roles? I can't find them. Could be he just sees the writing as a collaborative process and doesn't really talk about it.

Sentinel

Arcane
His XC2 message had no mention of roles of any kind
“A young adult story with a taste of boy-meets-girl. Lately it feels like all I’ve been doing are games full of devastation, like where your hometown burns down at the start, or the spaceship you’re riding crashes(oh wait, that is all I ever do). Sometimes I just wanna try something different!

I want to make something that people can look back on fondly one day as something that really shaped their lives. Something like what I loved as a boy, like Oliver! (by Carol Reed) and Galaxy Express 999 (by Rintaro). — That’s why I started working on this game.
I’ll leave the stories about the solemn old men and hot stylish guys to someone else(even though there’s way more demand for that stuff), and go ahead with this.

That’s what was on my mind around the end of 2014 through early 2015.
Yeah, we started while Xenoblade X was still in development. We’re building a whole new ‘Xenoblade’ title using the foundation laid by X. That’s the core of the project.

Some people think exploration is what games should be all about, while some are like “no no, story is what’s best.” Well we’ve got something perfect for both of those kinds of people: Xenoblade 2. And that’s what I wanted to tell you with my first announcement. Sound cool?

There are still a ton of surprises left, of course. I’ll be revealing little bits of information and riling everyone up all the way until release. And that was my June of 2017. (Wait, will we even meet the release deadline?!)

Tetsuya Takahashi

Nerith2143

Literate
I mean, it's pretty obvious he's got a very significant hand in the game's narrative even based on these scenes. Even the turnaround in tonality from XB2 fits his MO of getting bored with the same core story idea even if he reuses themes and archetypes which are relatively specific to him.

He also notably doesn't like to draw attention to himself so it's not surprising if he doesn't want to draw explicit attention to his own contributions in the marketing.

Sentinel

Arcane
I do hope he's in because god damn, Future Connected sucked. Both story AND gameplay were dull as fuck. If that's what MonolithSoft looks like without Takahashi they don't have a bright future ahead of them if he hangs his hat.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was never meant to be anything other than an epilogue and closure for Melia since Takahashi didn't like how her story just sort of ended, mix in the fog king to 'hint' at the connectivity between worlds and a 'hint' towards 3 (or whatever he said)

It's nothing more than a bonus for getting the Definitive Edition, if they hadn't kept the files for the Bionis Shoulder (it was essentially just an area they used for gameplay testing purposes) then it probably wouldn't have even been made.

Sentinel

Arcane
None of that excuses how bad it is.

It's not supposed to be an epilogue either, but a set up for XC3 according to Takahashi. XC1 didn't need any epilogue.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
He never mentions anything about XC3 specifically, he just said it would 'continue the story towards the future of xenoblade' he also goes on to say that it wasn't meant to be some big expansion because they didn't want to take resources away from other games being developed.
Famitsu: Please tell us about the concept behind the production and development of “Future Connected.”

Takahashi:
I’m half-joking here, but there was a lingering feeling of pity towards Melia, but really, there were two reasons. First, it would appeal to existing fans and would continue the story towards the future of Xenoblade, and second, so we could finally show off the shoulder of Bionis, a map that didn’t fit into the main game, but was perfectly suited for this role.

Famitsu: Can you tell us about the sense of volume in “Future Connected?”

Takahashi:
It took me about 10 to 12 hours to finish, so I think it will take players a bit longer to complete the first time. I’d say there’s about 20 hours worth of content in Future Connected, when you include side quests. When you develop DLC, you can increase the volume of the game even more, but with a remaster such as this, it’s just too expensive, and if we put too many resources into developing it, it would have had an impact on developing our new game. We tried to balance the development to be compatible with these limits in mind.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._edition_in_this_translated_famitsu_interview

and from his blog post:

When it comes to new elements, the biggest addition is a region not finished in time for the original game – the Bionis’ Shoulder – which sets the stage for the game’s new story scenario, “Future Connected.” Much like Torna – The Golden Country added to the main game of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Future Connected focuses on the character and story of Melia after the events of the main scenario come to a close. Why Melia and not Fiora, Reyn, Dunban, Sharla, or Riki you might ask? Well, that’s because this scenario isn’t simply a new story to be told, but a way stone of sorts, pointing towards the future. The events that take place and the words spoken by the characters in Future Connected are linked to the future of Xenoblade Chronicles itself.
https://nintendoeverything.com/xeno...ays-future-connected-linked-to-series-future/

the "future of xenoblade" could simply be referring to showing 1. how alcamoth got restored following the main game 2. why aren't there a bunch of telethia running around 3. melia becoming empress.

like I said, it was literally a cobbled together piece of content for a remaster they did on the side while the main team worked on 3

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't understand the point of your post. Aren't you contradicting yourself? You first said FC was meant to prepare the ground for XC3, and now you're doing mental gymnastics to say maybe that's not what it was about?

I just said that, regardless of the intent behind making FC, nothing excuses its poor quality. I don't care it if it was set up for XC3 or if it was a stand alone story.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
I said "It was never meant to be anything other than an epilogue and closure for Melia since Takahashi didn't like how her story just sort of ended, mix in the fog king to 'hint' at the connectivity between worlds and a 'hint' towards 3 (or whatever he said)" note the "or whatever he said" because I was saying it based on my recollection.

I also clearly stated it wasn't anything more than a bonus for the re-release which was further backed up through the quotes I posted. You clearly have a reading comprehension issue.

Sentinel

Arcane
So from your recollection you had the understanding that Takahashi wanted Future Connected to set up the narrative groundwork for 3. Then you went back and looked at his quotes, and from statements like "would continue the story towards the future of Xenoblade" and "(...) this scenario isn’t simply a new story to be told, but a way stone of sorts, pointing towards the future. The events that take place and the words spoken by the characters in Future Connected are linked to the future of Xenoblade Chronicles itself" you are now convinced that you were wrong and FC was nothing more than a bonus that has nothing to do with XC3 after all?

Ok so aside from reaffirming what I said, why do you think it being a bonus justifies it being bad?

Last edited:
I'm convinced most of the xbc2 haters didn't play past the 3rd chapter or something, if even the game, they never say they dislike the game because they don't like the combat system or they don't like the gacha shit (a fair criticism tbqh) or any other number of things related to the actual game it's just "uhh XBC2 is for KIDS" or "XBC2 is for WEEBS it's not like XBC because uhhh it just is!" or trannies mad that female blades are hot
The retarded combat system with all its HP bloat and other waste of time mechanics is literally the reason I stopped playing XBC2. That's also why I am not looking forward to XBC3.

Hearing about NoA getting involved with censoring the game is the last straw for this series. I pronounce it dead.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
I'm convinced most of the xbc2 haters didn't play past the 3rd chapter or something, if even the game, they never say they dislike the game because they don't like the combat system or they don't like the gacha shit (a fair criticism tbqh) or any other number of things related to the actual game it's just "uhh XBC2 is for KIDS" or "XBC2 is for WEEBS it's not like XBC because uhhh it just is!" or trannies mad that female blades are hot
The retarded combat system with all its HP bloat and other waste of time mechanics is literally the reason I stopped playing XBC2. That's also why I am not looking forward to XBC3.

Hearing about NoA getting involved with censoring the game is the last straw for this series. I pronounce it dead.
1. If you think the enemies are HP bloated then you clearly just suck at combat.
2. How, exactly, did NoA censor the game? also [citation needed]

ESRB says this game will have In-Game Purchases, unlike 1 and 2.
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/38433/Xenoblade+Chronicles+3/
it's just an expansion pass same as 2 had.

why is there such a concerted effort to doompost about this game?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
it's just an expansion pass same as 2 had.
2 didn't have an in-game purchases warning.
https://www.esrb.org/blog/in-game-purchases-includes-random-items/

In April 2018 the ESRB began assigning Interactive Elements to physical video games with the In-Game Purchases and Users Interact notices. The In-Game Purchases Interactive Element informs parents and other consumers of when a game offers the ability to purchase additional items without leaving the game

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 · Release date: Dec 01, 2017

:hmmm:

but sure monolithsoft decided to stick in microtransactions for 3 instead of the game that had literal gacha elements and waifus.

Sentinel

Arcane
As for censorship, Mitsuda kinds of hints at a tightening of restrictions on what can be said or shown.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
As for censorship, Mitsuda kinds of hints at a tightening of restrictions on what can be said or shown.

this reads like a general statement about how the majority of people are sensitive snowflakes these days, it says nothing about NOA's involvement or any censorship/restrictions placed on them. He's also a composer, not a writer and was replying to someone on his personal Twitter. The game, just like XBC 1 and 2 before it, is localized by Nintendo of Europe btw. Might want to update your .txt

Sentinel

Arcane
But that guy's concerns over NoA censoring the western version are legitimate. They started censoring Fire Emblem and censored XB2 characters in Smash.

Sentinel

Arcane
What's your source for Nintendo of Europe localizing XB3? Europe localized 1 and 2, but America localized X. (not that it even matters, all content is filtered through american sensibilities, not europe's)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
damn, it's almost like smash has a different rating and intended audience than many of the games characters in it come from...

I don't have a direct source for NoE localizing 3 but it follows based on them being the ones to localize 1 and 2 as well as the voice acting and dialogue presented. X's story was focused on offshoots of the united states (look at the ship, new los angeles, etc.) and was given to NOA for this reason. Also X was released well before 2 so not sure why you are trying to use it as "but they did X!!!!" since X is a different series and it logically follows that Europe will do XBC3 just as they've done XBC1 and XBC2. But yeah, I guess it is quite possible that NoA hired a bunch of British, Scottish, Welsh and others to do voices as well as writing the localization text and dialogue using common British words, slang and phrasing. Also the entire conceit of the game's world is that it's the worlds of 1 and 2 colliding so why wouldn't the same team be localizing it that did the two games that it's heavily referencing?

Why do you want this game to fail so badly? Just don't play it, it will be ok.

Sentinel

Arcane
Who said I want it to fail? I actually think it looks good aside from the nigger. You're just overprotective of a videogame lol. Couldn't even handle me calling FC bad you had to go on an autistic fit of rage to try to drum up an argument about another thing we didn't even disagree on.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
You keep making shit up to paint the game in a negative light. I'm overprotective of the truth because I hate lies and the liars who tell them. "Couldn't even handle me calling FC bad" where is this exchange? In your mind? I simply stated that it wasn't ever supposed to be anything more than a bonus epilogue, if you had higher expectations for it that's your fault. As for my opinion on it I thought it was rather bland, but then again I never expected it to be some grand thing because everything said about it implied that's not what it was.

As for my "autistic fit of rage" let's recap:

you start out by insinuating that takahashi isn't involved in XBC3
you are questioned about this and given an opinion as to why this isn't the case
you say he was never listed as a writer for XBC2
you are shown the credits for XBC2 which lists him as a scenario writer
you say FC was "XB without Takahashi"
I say it was never meant to be anything big, just an epilogue and a 'hint' towards the future of xenoblade and was only made as a bonus for DE because they still had the map lying around
you say it's not supposed to be an epilogue, it's supposed to be an epic tie-in to XBC3!!!
I post Takahashi blog post where he pretty much says he (half-jokingly) wanted closure for melia's story, they had the map lying around and thought they could use it to tell a short story and that it would 'hint at the future events of xenoblade'
you post about how omg XBC3 will have microtransactions when 1 and 2 didn't FUD
you are shown that the "in-app purchases" tag wasn't implemented until after 1 and 2's release
you post about how NOA is CENSORING the game
you are asked for proof
you say well uhh they just are and they did X
you are told an opinion on why it logically follows that 3 is also done by NoE
you get mad and start strawmanning, lying about me not being able to handle you not liking FC when I stated it was never meant to be what you think it was meant to be and never ONCE commented on your opinion of its story or gameplay.

So from your recollection you had the understanding that Takahashi wanted Future Connected to set up the narrative groundwork for 3. Then you went back and looked at his quotes, and from statements like "would continue the story towards the future of Xenoblade" and "(...) this scenario isn’t simply a new story to be told, but a way stone of sorts, pointing towards the future. The events that take place and the words spoken by the characters in Future Connected are linked to the future of Xenoblade Chronicles itself" you are now convinced that you were wrong and FC was nothing more than a bonus that has nothing to do with XC3 after all?

Ok so aside from reaffirming what I said, why do you think it being a bonus justifies it being bad?

"you are now convinced that you were wrong and FC was nothing more than a bonus that has nothing to do with XC3 after all?" it's things like this that make me think you are either really retarded, lack reading comprehension, are just a disingenuous person or have an agenda. I stated since the beginning it was both made as a bonus epilogue and a hint towards the future of the series/xbc3. the quotes from Takahashi's blogs state as much. re-read the bolded parts of his blog post it basically points to how it was low-budget because it's was for a remaster, it was focused on melia for a specific reason and that it "hints at the future" which I stated multiple times could mean any number of things and not necessarily anything earth shattering. It's almost like you bought the DE just to play FC and are mad that it wasn't that great because you had high expectations for what was literally bonus content.

Sentinel

Arcane
soByyP0.jpeg

Last edited:

1. If you think the enemies are HP bloated then you clearly just suck at combat.
Someone's been playing too many MMOs -- or is it gacha?
2. How, exactly, did NoA censor the game? also [citation needed]
Have you been living under a rock for the last ten years? I'm not going to beat a dead horse for your entertainment. NoA's love of censorship has become a meme now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom