Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts 2 - now available on Early Access

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bigger team working full time (and even more) accomplishes more than a smaller team working part time. No big surprise.
The first UFO game was developed by 4 (or 5?) persons. Is Xenonauts2 team smaller?
With MicroProse as their (meagre) bank, and previous development from Laser Squad to draw from. The development started already in 1991, and once they got the publisher, they were burning the midnight oil for more than a little bit. I've read the book.

Not to mention how different time we are talking about. We could whip up a fully functional game during a weekend and just continue adding stuff on it. A programmer could draw the sprites, if necessary. No need to think about drivers and engines - if you needed something, you just wrote the code. And your code determined how far you could push the tech.

Those days games take longer to make (just look at Phoenix Point, r00fles!). And it isn't always because people are less talented or lazy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bigger team working full time (and even more) accomplishes more than a smaller team working part time.
This is fair enough and all, but even so. Xenonauts 2 is looking very much like an expansion/mod of the original (I haven't played it mind you, just going from screenshots and devposts), despite taking a looong time to come out.

It's a bit disappointing. Iirc the original scope was more ambitious, but over time they've scaled back a lot. I still expect to play it and have fun.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bigger team working full time (and even more) accomplishes more than a smaller team working part time.
This is fair enough and all, but even so. Xenonauts 2 is looking very much like an expansion/mod of the original (I haven't played it mind you, just going from screenshots and devposts), despite taking a looong time to come out.

It's a bit disappointing. Iirc the original scope was more ambitious, but over time they've scaled back a lot. I still expect to play it and have fun.
Yeah, haven't really been paying attention to the dev blogs, AFAIK they are rebuilding the game from a scratch on a new engine. A lot of the more ambitious things were cool on paper, but didn't work in practice... (how very X-Com Apocalypse of them).

And with Xenonauts 1+2 combined, that's a lot of time work on the "same game". Long development times are kind of a killer for games in general.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
A lot of the more ambitious things were cool on paper, but didn't work in practice... (how very X-Com Apocalypse of them).
Elaborate? I think apocalypse would have worked in practice, and been hella cool, if they hadn't been forced to release a polished alpha version as the final product. And even as is, apoc has a lot of cool stuff that hasn't been replicated in the genre since.

geno

Savant
December update. For now it seems they will work on the demo for the next Steam NextFest and getting the game ready for the early access.
Hello everyone and welcome to 2023!

December was a good month for the project even though it was curtailed by the Christmas holidays, as we released V25 and then opened the game up to the first wave of open beta testers. We didn't add many new features as most of our time was spent gathering community feedback and fixing bugs identified by our new (and old) testers, so I'll instead talk more broadly about we're going to be working on in the next couple of months.

Open Beta:
The first thing to say is that the open beta has already been extremely helpful. We started by inviting a small group of new testers (50) and asked them to post up their initial impressions of the game, and report any bugs / issues they encountered so we could fix them.

The response has been really good so far. Thankfully, the initial response to the game has been almost universally positive (i.e. nobody saying that they didn't enjoy the game, or that it felt too similar to Xenonauts 1 to be worth playing) but we've also recieved a lot of useful feedback about what people do and don't like about the game. Stability is generally pretty good but there's still been a LOT of bugs reported that we're currently working through - every bug fixed makes the game feel better to play!

As we release future builds we'll be inviting new players to join the Open Beta so we can maintain a continual stream of "first impressions" posts, but we'll probably only be inviting 50-100 people for each new build. However, if you're not lucky enough to get an invite, you'll still be able to give the game a test via our public demo!

Public Demo:
Xenonauts 2 is going to be participating in the upcoming Steam Next Fest that runs from 6-13th February 2023, and we're going to be putting out a demo that will allow you to play the first couple of months of a campaign (usually about five or six tactical missions).

This should allow people to get a taste of the full game, and hopefully get everyone excited for our upcoming Early Access release!

Upcoming Work:
As such, the dev team will mostly be spending their time on improving this demo this month. Our primary goal is to get the tutorial implemented, as if experienced players feel it would be helpful then I imagine new players will be entirely lost without it! This is a quick 5-minute sequence that covers the plot events immediately prior to the start of the game, and introduces the player to the key controls for the Geoscape and tactical combat.

We're also going to be improving the difficulty settings so that people can better adjust the challenge to their level of expertise, balancing the game, and working on fixing as many of the reported bugs / usability issues as possible.

The project is entering an exciting period now and I wanted to say thanks to everyone continuing to read and contribute. Hope everyone had a good holiday!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sad to see the same damn maps in the trailer that I played. Guess there still isn't any kind of randomizing to the maps, which sucks a lot. And by a lot I mean metric ton of suckage.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Development for this is moving at such a glacial pace it's hard for me to care.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Development for this is moving at such a glacial pace it's hard for me to care.
I don't care so much about slow development, but it's kinda hard to see how this is any different from the first one in the trailer? Looks like they removed the interception minigame?

Falksi

Arcane
I really want to be hyped for this, but I'm not.

I'm not seeing any horror vibes in the game yet. It looks mechanically fine, but atmospherically still very stale.

Visperas

Augur
The lack of random maps also bothers me to no end. Apparently they said it's too hard for them to implement or something like that. So disappointing.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The lack of random maps also bothers me to no end. Apparently they said it's too hard for them to implement or something like that. So disappointing.
Damn. Are ufo walls at least explodable this time?

Mazisky

Magister

Really? That's number one feature for a game like this. It totally destroys replayability.:negative:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just like how it was too hard to implement true LOS/projectile tracing because of the Diner Dash engine.

Oh wait...

ArchAngel

Arcane
The same game, some small updates...
Xeno2 looks more like some mod for Xeno1... I don't think this game will sell well when it offers barely anything new.
He probably should have stayed with his original ideas of one base and supporting air bases and turn based air combat and stuff. Even if it was not as fun, it would be different and it would get people to buy the game to play something different..

Anomander

Educated
So, what's the deal with this?
I bought it in like a previous century. How many years it is in development? Is the full release planned?

TheSoul

Scholar
I downloaded the demo, which lets you play the first 40 days. Biggest improvement over the original are alien designs that no longer look like a kid drew them in with colored pencils.
Balance feels very off. The grenade launcher did less than a basic rifle or sniper rifle but takes more TUs. Knives were way too heavy to be used. Smoke grenades are too good at taking down aliens. I chucked 3 at a mantid and reaper and took both out. A full health psion also knocked himself out by walking into a smoke cloud.
I think it has more potential than 1, still isn't anywhere near touching the classic though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom