Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts 2 - now available on Early Access

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Tried playing this, it crashed a lot unfortunately. It did seem very cool, but I never played the first one. It seemed more like OG Xcom than any other game since Terror from the Deep. Which is kinda sad. Too many games try to mess with the formula in stupid ways.

I noticed aliens hiding in corners of the map and just waiting. From a pure gameplay and pacing perspective, this sucks. From a realism standpoint, it... kinda makes sense? Makes grenades and explosives more useful, tossing flashbangs into dark houses before clearing them. I like it.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried playing this, it crashed a lot unfortunately. It did seem very cool, but I never played the first one. It seemed more like OG Xcom than any other game since Terror from the Deep. Which is kinda sad. Too many games try to mess with the formula in stupid ways.

I noticed aliens hiding in corners of the map and just waiting. From a pure gameplay and pacing perspective, this sucks. From a realism standpoint, it... kinda makes sense? Makes grenades and explosives more useful, tossing flashbangs into dark houses before clearing them. I like it.
you should really play xenonauts 1 with the developer curated community mod on steam. it's the best og xcom remake so far

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

It kind of works in the first game, but not really because they left out motion trackers and proximity mines from the OG games, which were designed explicitly to be used against camping aliens and murder closets.
The result was a more frustrating experience than it has to be.

Maybe they changed it to be less annoying in the second game. Hopefully grenades have actual arcs this time.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Xenonauts 2 February 2023 update
Hello everyone! February is now over so it's time for our monthly progress update.

The biggest thing that happened this month was Steam Next Fest. We put out a demo for this that allowed players to play the full game for just over a month and included our new tutorial. This was the first time we've allowed people to play more than a curated single mission, so it was quite a nerve-wracking experience, but overall I think things went well - we got a lot of new wishlists and a lot of useful feedback.

Steam Demo

Broadly speaking the feedback on the demo was good. I want to thank everyone that posted up their thoughts and suggestions either on Steam or on our forums or Discord, because it's been really useful to read those. Even the negative feedback has been very useful, because in most cases it revealed either bugs we were not aware of or parts of the game that need better communication or balancing. It's never nice to realise parts of your game don't work quite as well as you thought they did, but it's certainly much better to find that out before the Early Access launch than after!

A lot of our time this month has therefore been spent working on the issues and problems people experienced in the demo.

V26 Stable Released!

This morning I released the final version of V26 onto our standard Steam and GOG branches, which is the first build to make it beyond our Experimental branches since November and should be a substantial improvement on the previous V24.7b. Thanks to all of the testers who made suggestions and reported bugs with V25 and V26! I'm currently working on V27 which will hopefully be arriving on the Experimental branches later this month.

Translation

Based on the sales data provided by our marketing partners Hooded Horse, we've decided that it would be sensible to support translation for our Early Access launch. We're working on the technical implementation of this now and will hopefully have that finished this month (although the actual translation work will take a bit longer to deliver).

Hooded Horse will be using professional translators to deliver high-quality translations into most major languages, but we also hope to make these tools available to the community in the future so people can translate the game into other languages if they wish.

New Gameplay Changes

The two large gameplay changes we've been working on this month are the reskinning of the Soldier Equip screen into the new UI style and adding another unique tactical mission type.

The new tactical mission is an "Eliminate VIP" mission, which in this case takes the form of an attack on a Cleaner outpost where the objective is to kill the Cleaner leader and escape before enemy reinforcements overwhelm you. This mission requires a bit of extra work because we're also adding some optional secondary objectives in the form of more computers that contain Cleaner Data that can be recovered, but hopefully it'll be another interesting new mission type to keep the campaign nice and varied to play.

This all ties into a bigger revamp of the Cleaners which we'll be testing this month. I don't want to reveal too much about it until we've had a chance to properly playtest it, but the idea is to make the Cleaner mission sequence a bit more dynamic rather than their story just being a straightforward research chain. If all goes well people will be able to try this for themselves in V27.

That's everything from me. As always, thanks for reading and we'll see you next month!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Xenonauts 2 March 2023 update
March is nearly over and it's time for our monthly update. We've still not nailed down a definite date for our Early Access launch but barring any major disaster we're planning to stick to our Q2 target window, so we're an absolute maximum of three months away from launch at this point.

Campaign Options

One of the two big features we've worked on this month are campaign options, which take the form of a new panel alongside the New Campaign menu.

de1dd58cb88d68d1ea9aa77d5405fa124264da68.png

The values for these options update as you change difficulty settings, allowing players to better understand how each difficulty setting changes the game. However, you can also change the values manually and create your own custom difficulty setting - for example, if you found the strategy layer fairly easy but wanted to make the tactical combat harder.

We've also included new options (both on this panel and in the standard settings menu) that allow you to enable or disable several of the quality of life features or gameplay changes we've made in Xenonauts 2 - for example, some people like enemies displaying their heath values above their heads, whereas others do not. This also applies to things like the camera automatically focusing on newly detected enemies or whether soldier rotation when firing weapons should cost Time Units.

Translation

The other big feature we've worked on this month is the technical implementation of translation, which has involved finding literally every text string displayed in the game and exporting it into a massive spreadsheet so it can be translated.

There's many thousands of these (many of which are dynamic strings rather than static ones), so it's been a lot of work and has caused quite a few bugs. However we're now pretty close to being done with this, and we'll hopefully be doing a dry run of the tech next week with the localisation teams from our marketing partners. If that goes well then we'll be sending the text off to the professional translators afterwards.

This is the main reason why I've not been comfortable setting a date for Early Access quite yet - I really wouldn't be surprised if at least one unexpected problem arises from the translation testing that derails general development for a week or more, so I don't want to be working to a hard deadline until the dry run is complete and we've fixed any major problems that were identified as a result.

Other Work

Another improvement that happened this month is the Aircraft screen and all associated panels being reskinned. This was the last of the strategy management screens that required a visual revamp, so now the only parts of the game that still need a UI pass are the Geoscape map itself and the Air Combat. Quite a nice mini-milestone for us!

That's all I've got for now - see you all next month!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Air combat not shown on trailer.
Have they done away with minigame?

edit.
Some info about early access:
Xenonauts 2 May 2023 Update
Hello everyone - May is now over, so it's time for our monthly update to explain the progress we've made.

Early Access Launch Date & Plans
The first thing to mention is we now have a date for our Early Access launch. I don't know exactly when it will be revealed because our marketing partners Hooded Horse are handling the announcement, but we're focused on getting the game as good as possible for that date.

Anyone whose been spending time on our Discord will at least know that we’re not planning on launching in Q2. However, you won’t have much longer to wait - watch this space; the invasion will begin sooner than you might think!

Please be aware that the Early Access version of the game at launch is going to cut off after about 60-70% of the full campaign. This is still a big chunk of the game - depending on how quickly you play tactical missions, you could easily spend 10-15 hours playing a campaign before you hit that point. Ultimately we had to make a decision between spending our time working on polish and bugfixes that affect the whole game, or fixing various issues (and adding some missing content) that only relate to the final section of the game.

In the end, we thought people would prefer to play a 15+ hour chunk of Xenonauts 2 that would hopefully leave them impressed and keen to play the final game, rather than release the entire campaign in a less polished state that they might enjoy less. We will be adding back the removed content during Early Access, once we've had a chance to test it and polish it up to the standards of the rest of the game.

Current Goals
Our current goal is to make sure the playable parts of the game are as enjoyable as possible. One important aspect is to ensure all the research text and art in the playable sections are ready, so I've been working hard on that (along with a number of illustrators). We're also working on lots of bugfixes and usability improvements, and adding little quality-of-life features requested by the community - e.g., you can now rotate soldiers when arranging them inside the dropship on the strategy layer. If there's any time left over, we'll try and add some new maps too.

We're not going to be making any further large changes to the game until after the Early Access launch, as we want to avoid introducing new bugs. It's always important to have the game as stable as possible on launch!

Completed Work
Now I've discussed our future plans, I'll quickly summarise the work we did last month in the space I have left:

• We released Closed Beta build V27 onto the Experimental branch for Kickstarter backers, along with four hotfixes that fixed a LOT of bugs. We'll be hotfixing a few more issues this week and then hopefully releasing it on the Steam / GOG main branch.
  • More work on the translation.
  • As mentioned above, quite a lot of work on the research text/research artwork.
  • We did some more work on the new Geoscape icons.
  • We fixed the memory leaks in the game, which were causing performance issues and eventual crashes if you played the game for an extended session. This involved upgrading a copy of our codebase into the most recent version of Unity (as the version we're using is so old it doesn't have the tools required to easily find memory leaks), which is good news - after the Early Access launch, we'll probably upgrade the main project to this new version of Unity too. This should improve performance and compatibility, as well as make the lives of the developers easier.

There are a few other small things we worked on that probably aren't worth talking about, as this post is already rather long. That's all I have for this month, so thanks for reading the post, and I'll make another post once our release date is announced!

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So they are only releasing on EA in july? Bloody hell...
Yea, I was shocked too.
Why shocked? They are too low skill to make it right and on time. If they had sufficient skills, they wouldn't use XCOM2 design, because XCOM2 design was flawed.
I just didn't expect them to go from closed beta into early access. Really hope it's gonna be only a few months of bug fixing before the final release.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The sad fact is that Goldhawk simply cant into project management. Hopefully they still can into making gud gaemz (eventually).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The sad fact is that Goldhawk simply cant into project management. Hopefully they still can into making gud gaemz (eventually).
This is becoming less and less credible with time. The pitch for xenonauts2 seemed fairly ambitious and innovative. The actual xenonauts2 that is launching into EA looks like an expansion pack for the first one. And it has taken them 5 years to launch EA with two thirds of the campaign done.

Modron

Arcane
They had to start over with a new engine, Diner Dash was getting long in the tooth plus not many people specialized in that engine :D.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

This. If you look at their dev logs, it's all "we experimented with this, we tried that, then we reverted that and then tried that again, we tested this again too... also we wrote 2 research pages this month ooof we're working so hard".

That's not development, that's chaos. 80% of it hould have been resolved in some early prototyping phase. They would really benefit from a competent project manager who could just take them from A to B in a somewhat straightforward way.

But hey, when I tried to point it out, they deleted my comment so guess they like it that way. No way I'm going to pay for it though.

agris

Arcane
Patron
what I don't understand is: yes they ditched the X1 engine for Unreal, but that was at the start of the project 5 years ago. further, the combat tech demo from ~2018 or so featured maps that looked alive. it was a lush, tropical, living and breathing biome.

how that got pared down to the aggressively static X1-style maps, i'll never know. do the X2 maps even feature animated components? screens that blink and bloop, vegetation that sways, lights that move...?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The maps were very static when I tried it. Flat and repetitive. No movement from what I remember. I even recognize some map features from the latest trailer, so it doesn't seem like much changed.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just to show an example:

Xeno1.jpg

This is from a Youtube video I made, I uploaded it 7 months ago.

Xeno2.jpg

This is from the latest trailer uploaded by IGN. 2 weeks ago.

Now, I'm still excited for Xenonauts 2. But it still seems it will use set maps, which is very disappointing.

Visperas

Augur
Just to show an example:

This is from a Youtube video I made, I uploaded it 7 months ago.

This is from the latest trailer uploaded by IGN. 2 weeks ago.

Now, I'm still excited for Xenonauts 2. But it still seems it will use set maps, which is very disappointing.
I'm really looking forward to Xenonauts 2 but the lack of random maps is massive decline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom