Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts - XCOM-like set during the Cold War

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
popamole next gen shit
enjoy your dumbed down x-com, watered down like piss beer

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
http://www.xenonauts.com/ is down.

Project dead already? Herp a derp?

Apparently the lead developer (or whatever he likes to call himself) has invested real monies from his own pocket into having the game made. That's true dedication there, maybe I'll do the same one day.

Chuftie

Augur
I hope by 'cover system' they don't mean 'TBS popamole'. But everything else looks spot on, so I'm guessing its going to be a decent implementation.

How does one pop a mole in an isometric TBS game?

Korgan

Arbiter
Ehh, same old story. Seriously, if you haven't read this exact feature list in at least three announcements of bold new projects over the years, you're no X-Com fan at all.

Lightknight

Liturgist
The site is up. Project status is pretty impressive, i must say...crossing all the fingers i have.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Oh, and I thought someone finally made a modern clone of Xenobots. But no, it's all X-COM and X-COM... ;)

zeitgeist

Magister
xenonauts.com said:
I'll admit that there was a certain amount of smoke and mirrors when we announced the project; a lot of people seem to assume that games in development look pretty much the same as they do when they are finished, and we were concerned that showing the WIP shots of the project would lead to us being immediately dismissed as a bunch of amateurs. The publicity we received opened a lot of doors for us and helped us to reach the position we are in today, so at the end of the day the announcement served its purpose.
So apparently they're taking preorders now, based on nothing more than a couple of Photoshop mockups and this progress report?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I’ve ploughed my life savings into funding this game, which eliminates a lot of the leadership struggles you have with fan projects – I’m paying the bills, so I get to decide what happens. Decision making is faster, there’s less feature creep and the vision is less watered down, and obviously paying for staff attracts a higher quality of personnel too.

:salute:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Haba said:
I’ve ploughed my life savings into funding this game, which eliminates a lot of the leadership struggles you have with fan projects – I’m paying the bills, so I get to decide what happens. Decision making is faster, there’s less feature creep and the vision is less watered down, and obviously paying for staff attracts a higher quality of personnel too.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The upside of this is that we plan to remove a lot of randomness that the original X-Com had, so you don't lose troops because you're unlucky, you lose them because you did something wrong. As long as the game mechanics are sufficiently intuitive, this should make the difficulty challenging and enjoyable instead of frustrating.

spectre

Arcane
Meh, 29.99 pre-order price, and what do we have? A bunch of shopped screenshots and concept art? That's some serious chutzpah, mang.

Regarding the interview:

We’re radically different from the fan projects, primarily as we’re in this for commercial reasons.
Not necessarily a good thing.

Decision making is faster, there’s less feature creep and the vision is less watered down,
That's good for you.
Yeah, it sucks when people sulk because their favourite feature isn't in, but I find it better when other people get to rip apart your shitty ideas. If you cannot defend them, maybe they just suck.
On the whole, it just boils down who you're working with. If you're the one to call the shots it doesn't do anything good if your design sucks.

Which brings me to:

We plan to spend quite a lot of time getting the gameplay right, and we’re hoping that will mark us out.
Grand.
It's still vaporware and potentially popamole until proven otherwise.

juggernaut

Educated
Haba said:

This makes me feel a lot better about the project, not enough to pre-order though.

That footage looks promising... Though I'm still pissed at the whole XCOM Genesis project being canned when it looked like it would be the second coming... :x

zeitgeist

Magister
The March status update says they released the Geoscape GUI alpha build to the community (consisting of people who preordered the game), and they're planning to release the air combat portion any day now, if they haven't already. Has anyone preordered, and if so, any comments on what they've released so far?

S_Verner

Scholar
Dude, if you want to know you should fucking reserve.

I'm not giving you deadbeats anything. Not even the soundtrack.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Progress in the geoscape part is meaningless. Most programmers could write the geoscape part in relatively short time, considering that the screenshots show essentially nothing more than a run of the mill gui with some cheap imagery taken from blue marble next generation.

According to the the latest progress report they have actually already done a little bit of work on the tactical combat engine, with a little bit of basic AI. I'd wager the chances that this project will eventually be finished have risen dramatically, to about 10%. Since they are beginners, perhaps another 10% that the game is really good. That makes 1% that this game will be played by anyone. Whow knows, perhaps even be great.

I like the layout of the screens and menus, and the 2D artists is doing a good job too.

But until I've seen running footage of an advanced build of the combat engine this is high quality vaporware to me.

Lightknight

Liturgist
It’s probably worth explaining the cover system at this point, as the original X-COM didn’t have one. In Xenonauts, soldiers can be placed in directional cover. You can see the three soldiers in the image sheltering up against the hedge, fence, and walls, and this indicates they are in cover – this means any shot that would otherwise hit them has a chance of hitting the cover they are sheltering behind instead. Cover only works in one direction, though – if the alien ran past the soldiers and shot them in the back, they would get no protection.
Sounds exactly like X-Com. Wait...a person making X-Com clone didnt play X-Com... ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom