Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts - XCOM-like set during the Cold War

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This last page is like reading a conversation between an autist and a sperg.
I guess that's appropriate considering it's Norfleet and Someone Else.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But don't take my word for it: Go ahead and try to win the mission by ONLY taking the UFO, intentionally skipping the aliens not on the UFO. It won't work. You're going to kill them all.
Ok I get it, this could be interpreted 2 ways.
1) You meant a player on the way to the UFO will kill all aliens outside the UFO even if you try not to clear the map.
2) I read it as if you capture the UFO without killing all aliens on the map, the mission will not end.

1 is not true, which is why I don't understand your statement. Saying "you are expected to kill all aliens" also makes me interpret it as 2.
You probably meant, "even if you go straight for the UFO, you will usually kill all the aliens on the map on your way there." "Originally, all aliens are required to be killed like XCOM."

Ulminati, miscommunication happens all the time, insulting posters doesn't solve the problem. Were you able to interpret his statement both ways?

Last edited:

Norfleet

"Originally, all aliens are required to be killed like XCOM."
Yes, originally it was required. Now it is merely expected, but not required. You're definitely expected to do it, though: The option to not hunt down the last alien was only added later, probably because this was one of the more frustrating things in X-Com, slowly inching across the map trying to find that one alien that, having exhausted any sane place to be, is now lying in wait someone with a blaster bomb launcher waiting to ambush you. Or is a Cryssalid. Or, more likely, is cowering lost and confused somewhere in a disused cranny on the map. But you NEVER KNOW.

Thane Solus

Arcane
i loved both new XCOM (EW/Long War) and now after i waited for 1 ton of patches i am playing Xenonaunts.

I love the strategic layer, being able to bomb sites that you don't want to attack, those little info on the map where aliens attack, auto upgrades on the ceptors after a specific weapon research, soldier templates and more.

Overall its nice a game, but even if the graphics are great, they don't fit the theme. I mean they are too bright and colorful, it should be dark and gloomy and lots of effects on the map. The alien design is also kind shitty, androds are comical, the caesarian things the same, the lizard type look ok, the chrysalis are a joke, looking like cartoons and not so dangerous, so basically they lost a lot of the tension due to art direction and lack of map effects to make more dark. Music its good if you pump up the volume, it works quite well.

Now while i played almost evey year since 1996 UFO 1, but here and todays age, the tactical combat is not so good. The only satifisfaction i get is when my gunner kills somebody, or i get a cool snipe shoot. While i loved at first the TU combat(back in ze days), now the panzer general II, i mean XCOM EW tactical combat works better. I am talking about movement, cover and maybe even skills, the rest is limited unfortunately in EW. But thats the best of XCOM EW, the tactical combat, the strategic layer is shit, while here in Xeno, is too much micromanaging for nothing. Also firing from cover on reaction/overwatch should be a given, which again EW did good.

Its a decent game and i will play it more, but suffers from many shortcomings. However, due to strategic layer and a decent air combat, it works, but tactical its not so yummy. I would prefer a XCOM EW tactical combat, 2D, but of course with the freedom of Xeno, you make your own classse and/or customize, more space in inventory, ability to get items from the ground etc.

Also the UFO interior fights are a clusterfuck,(love the design tho) another good thing that XCOM EW Did, but they had more advantages there due to 3d and budget.

Overall the most faithful recreation of UFO 1, with some improvements, but with the mediocre tactical combat, and colorful art direction.

34scell

Augur
You can fire from half cover in Xenonauts. Being able to fire from behind full cover the way same is dumb.

Thane Solus

Arcane
You can fire from half cover in Xenonauts. Being able to fire from behind full cover the way same is dumb.

i know, it make sense in that context, but how about the soldier leans out and fire from hardcover, while on reaction, that would be make sense and it would work quite well.

34scell

Augur
I think there should be a bigger tactical difference between popping out of cover briefly to take a shot, and leaving your head and gun exposed.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I think there should be a bigger tactical difference between popping out of cover briefly to take a shot, and leaving your head and gun exposed.

yup, but when firing you shouldn't have to direct your soldier one tile a way to shoot from hard cover, that should be done automatically when you choose to fire/or reaction, its a tactical game, not sims 3, but yeah i agree with you that should work on top of this). They did that at first in UFO because it was too much work to work with cover. You dont make a game inspired by on older one, and copy its misfortunes due to the age, or technology, thats bad design and nostalgic fapping. And this project, Xenonaunts was actually saved by community mods/patches/sugestions, since the devs are not very good at it, they did a poor job at first, and now after 50 patches, we have a decent game.

Overall tactical TU was good back in the days, today you can do something like Invisible Inc,or XCOM EW, start from there and improve it. The old design its not working anymore, we can do it much better. I am a nostalgic fag like any codexer, but they are limits when i know today a feature can be done better/improved, and its not about streamlining, its about making the combat more active and dynamic, overall more entertaining and challenging, than i can be bothered to press crouch on each of my 20 soldiers in the field, i have to move the idiot out of hardcover to see whats goin down beyond or to shoot beyond even other soldiers already have view there, etc...

34scell

Augur
Ideally, of course I'd rather have simple controls/UI and complex mechanics, but if I had to choose I'd prefer the latter. Having to manually check fov in all the directions can be a pain, but I'd take that over 360 degree overwatch.

EDIT: A leaning overwatch for full cover that leaves you just as exposed as half cover would be acceptable. And the unit could hide again after taking the shot.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
So, I bought this months ago due to kodex kritical konsensus, but never started being burned out by XCOM Long War (god does it drag along in the end).
Any must have mods around for a first playtrough? I understand that there's a big map pack endorsed by the devs, is that part of a patch or should I install it separately?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Download the community edition patch and run with it. You can always try other mods on subsequent playthroughs.

The only things that really still bug me are the invisible walls, due to how curved surfaces work in the game. I'm hoping the CE will pick up on it someday.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So guys I finally got Xenonauts to play in a crappy vacation PC. Are there mods or unofficial patches that people consider essential for a first experience or should I just go with vanilla?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Check with Undead Phoenix. He's using some mod for his Let's Play but only he knows if it's better/worse than vanilla.

At the very least, make sure you set your version to "community edition". (Right-click in steam library. Properties->Betas. Community edition from the drop-down). It adds a bunch of bugfixes, some minor tweaks to graphics and (most importantly) a shitload of new maps to make it less repetitive.

is there a mod like 1.13 for jagged alliance 2 but without the insane difficulty spikes of xnt? i need guns. lots of guns.

Mhm done that. Undead Phoenix feel free to drop a comment here
Community Edition is a good shout for first play through. The one I'm using, XNT makes it play a bit different but does seem to cause more than a few jarring anomalies.

Haven't tried any others really. The last time I played I'm pretty sure the game was in late open beta.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Still need to play this game. Bought the game when it was in alpha on desura, so I contacted Chris back in July and got my gog key for it. :)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Dis game is great.

Any must have mods around for a first playtrough? I understand that there's a big map pack endorsed by the devs, is that part of a patch or should I install it separately?

Just install Community Edition - the map pack you're speaking about is already included there. Apart from CE, maybe you'll like these face and armour replacements:
http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/1/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/2/?

They are pretty cool.

svdxgb.jpg

Incantatar

Cipher
Bought this game last week. It's a cool remake but i don't like certain features. I can't believe the fucked up psionic system. The dev wants the player to drop all weapons every round? What drugs does he take?
And the other thing is the railroading. You're expected to play the game a very certain way or you will be broke, i.e. fast radar bases and fast air superiority. No other way possible.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom