Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Yaengard powers out on Steam

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know the codex has declined a lot when most of the complaints about a newly released game are "it looks like shit" and "visually it looks bad".

No, the complaint is (at least in my case) "they're using a cheap Unity asset pack that usually appears in unfinished half-assed Early Access abortions".
Using this asset pack doesn't mean that your game will be an unfinished half-assed Early Access abortion, of course, but the association of these assets with such products creates a certain level of prejudice. Just like how you'd expect your TV to go missing soon if a gypsy family moves in next door.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I wasn't actually talking about you, but the people before/after you that immediately jumped on the "looks shit = bad game" bandwagon. I do agree that a bunch of games follow this same pattern, same as some great-looking games sadly do not have gameplay to match. But judging a book by its cover seems like a very retarded thing to do.

Joyvankek

Learned
I wasn't actually talking about you, but the people before/after you that immediately jumped on the "looks shit = bad game" bandwagon. I do agree that a bunch of games follow this same pattern, same as some great-looking games sadly do not have gameplay to match. But judging a book by its cover seems like a very retarded thing to do.
Thanks to mainstream we have corporate assembly lined games, that look good but everything in them is done on checkbox basis. So shitty gameplay loop, safe story and character template creation, usually with politic thrown at the top of that pile of shit. It seems that good ESG score is bringing more money than making a good product.
I like my games to have good gameplay first, good story/characters/choices(Depending on what genre the game is) second, and then I am looking at audio/visual side of things. The problem with that approach is, that approach takes time and to check for myself I have to either buy it, or "borrow" to check a game by myself.
From my experience the assumption that if a game is obscure and looks like shit, then most likely it will be a pile of steaming shit.
It's hardly a surprise that people who have limited time and money, will just "judge the book by it's cover" and move on. At best they will check few steam/gog reviews and there is that.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I liked the weapon/armor modification system in Fallout 4.

I'm more referring to how Diablo-esque the modifers were on the weapons and armor as opposed to the ability to mod your weapons. I'm totally fine with the ability to add mods to a gun, but they need to make sense within the system and setting. I also think there should be a limit on the modifications, especially given the nature of Fallout's setting. I really don't think you should be able to cobble together a pipe rifle and make it as good as an assault rifle. In a quasi-real world-ish setting, meaning there's no magic, where guns are manufactured or cobbled together, there should be tiers of weapons where you eventually replace lower end stuff for the next thing.

but the people before/after you that immediately jumped on the "looks shit = bad game" bandwagon.

Agreed. Mount & Blade didn't look half as good as Oblivion did and came out almost two years after Oblivion, yet I've put many more hours in Mount & Blade because of the gameplay. But you can't say that the towns in M&B looked very good at all, the models weren't nearly as good, and the interface is pretty bare bones. In more recent time, look at Kenshi and compare it to any AAA CRPG made in the last few years. Kenshi looks awful compared to most modern games, but it's balls to the walls awesome. Now, it could be that I have a bias towards sandbox CRPGs, but they're clear examples of games which certainly didn't walk away with any awards for their graphics but excelled in the gameplay they give you.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's hardly a surprise that people who have limited time and money, will just "judge the book by it's cover" and move on. At best they will check few steam/gog reviews and there is that.
If they have limited time, why are they shitposting on the codex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom