Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yahoo!: evil in games

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yahoo! games has posted the 10 best games to be evil in: http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/it- ... d/520939-2

Of course, Oblivion is included, along with other games you can be evil in like LOTR online and Sid Meier's Pirates! (probably because it has an exclamation mark after its name).

Here's the part about everyone's favorite game:

Oblivion

Bethesda's lush first-person role-playing game combined the immersiveness of a shooter with the rich detail of an epic RPG. It also gave you the storyline of a single player game and the freedom of a massively multiplayer online game. From the moment you burst out of an Imperial prison, you could do whatever you wanted. Even the main storyline, which involved closing the gates to Oblivion that threatened the world with demonic infestation, was optional.

How Bad Can You Be?

One of the worst things you can do is nothing. Just ignore the storyline and let Oblivion gates open all over the countryside, essentially letting the world go to hell. In the pursuit of free-form gaming, you can join up with the Thieves Guild for some petty larceny that culminates in stealing from blind monks, including a quest to filch one of the Elder Scrolls themselves! But one of the most memorable plot lines from any RPG involved the missions for the Dark Brotherhood, an enclave of assassins. These missions begin with your standard issue murders, but escalate to a dark orgy of fratricide, matricide, chaos, and double-crossing, including a particularly memorable Agatha Christie style gathering in which you're the killer.

You can completely ignore a demonic invasion! How immersive! And stealing from blind monks! What a culmination!

So what were you guys saying about Obv being bashed in retrospect in the media for its failures?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Where is Dungeon Keeper? I didn't expect them to mention Arcanum, but the option to destroy all the life in the world, which is available there, is pretty evil.

psycojester

Arbiter
Well thats a new one. "by not playing Oblivion you're actually an evil person"

Klaz

Scholar
So the Thieves's Guild is evil in Oblivion? It was one of the more ethical factions in Morrowind, if I recall correclty.

Oarfish

Prophet
Lestat said:
Where is Dungeon Keeper? I didn't expect them to mention Arcanum, but the option to destroy all the life in the world, which is available there, is pretty evil.

It wasn't made in the last 5 years, silly. Games older than that barely had enough graphics to be evil in.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The sad thing that most of the inclusions are OK and reasonable all except Oblivion. There isn't really an official 'evil' way to play Oblivion. Not doing the main plot line to let the country side be taken over by Demons? That's just imagination going too far.

Edit: Of course all these games pales in comparison to rape graphic text adventure games the Japanese made. They have furry rape, Elf rape, vampire rape, tentacle rape, deamon rapes. Enough to make it into top 100 list and still have room for more.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm so sick and tired of hearing that the main quest in Oblivion were optional.

I'm sure you could avoid finishing "Frustration" if you wanted to. That's actually a funny idea. Certainly beats hundreds of hours playing Oblivion.

The main quest in Realms of Arkania 2 is also optional, as far as I know. When I played the game the first time, I explored every goddamn road. I travelled around for random encounters. At one point, I forgot how to proceed with the main quest.

Fuck, you might as well say that the main quest in Ultima VII were optional. I'm never saw any urgent reason to finish the game. Plus, that'd be super-evil, accoding to those Yahoo morons. After all, not doing anything? That must mean you're letting the Guardian win!

Texas Red

Whiner
The most evil one can be can be found in Fallout 2. By that I mean joining up with slavers. First you kill several people only to enslave everybody else from the tribes/gangs. At once you basically ruin the lives for dozens of people in the worst manner.

Never played Arcanum with an evil character. I assume that destroying all life is more of a good path since you understand the views of the antogonist, thus doing greater good.

The latest interview of NWN 2 expansion said that you could bend the will of thousands of souls or some such. Sounds pretty evil, will have to look how it turns out.

Disregarding the dumb article, what evil path are notable for you?

Klaz

Scholar
Never played Arcanum with an evil character. I assume that destroying all life is more of a good path since you understand the views of the antogonist, thus doing greater good.

Actually, I think that you kill the antagonist on that ending too.

Klaz

Scholar
Oh, it's the same, anyways. All life should include him too.

EDIT: After researching a bit the game, it seems that there are some variations on it, with some of them having you worshipped by a bunch of "Chosen Ones", other where you destroy the antagonist before destroying the world, and the normal evil one where you kill him after he tries to kill you.

bryce77

Scholar
NWN2_SS_070707_140725.jpg

NWN2_SS_070707_140807.jpg

NWN2_SS_070707_140811.jpg

NWN2_SS_070707_140819.jpg

Special_Can

Scholar
Actually, you have to close the Kvatch gate in order for all of the others to open. So, you do have to do something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom