1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Yakuza Thread (Yakuza 3-5 NOW on PC!)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Abu Antar, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Caim Arcane

Caim
  2. 680x0 Educated

680x0
    ^ Top  
  3. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    Karaoke was a letdown as far as I'm concerned. No real catchy song or bonkers music video. Plus the "Karaoke DLC" only brings previous karaoke songs as CDs, so you can play the music in the pub, nothing else.

This is a very far cry from Kiryu's Judgement or Majima's 24h Cinderella, and possibly the only minigame in a state of decline.

^ Top  
  4. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'd say Hell Stew is deffo up there in the series' karaoke. And Machine Gun Kiss is back too.

Though you obviously should absolutely not do karaoke with the English voiceover. The voice actors do give it their best, but they're just way out of their league, very notable with Adachi and Zhao. Considering David Hayter is Kashiwagi, I believe there was a missed opportunity to see how Snake goes against Snake in Machine Gun Kiss (since turns out Akio Otsuka has a great singing voice).

^ Top  
  5. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    It's at times like this I wish this forum had a Captain Obvious emote.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Mediocre to bad UI wise. There is two options, timer on/off and takebacks allowed.
    If you allow takebacks they employ a strange system where you have three normal takebacks and one super takeback where you can undo multiple turns. It gives you less Shogi points to use takebacks, but I immediatly turned them off. I never tried timers on.

There is a good number of Shogi puzzles, which give a lot of Shogi points and are excellent for learning the ruleset. The introduce stuff like dropping for checkmate. I went from not knowing anything about Shogi to being able to beat the AI fairly easily, although I am pretty strong at chess.

There is also an option to play with a handicap for extra Shogi points. Follows normal Shogi Handicap rules as far as I know.

Main gameplay mode gives you a lot of AIs to play against, for every Kyu there is two. You have 6 enemies at the start, Kyu 7-10. You unlock more by beating a Kyu 7 opponent you unlock Kyu 6.

The Shogi points can be exchanged for good shit, stat boosters and rare crafting mats and the like.

Visually and sound wise it is rather nice, and you get little letters next to the Kanji indicating what is which for people who can't speak Japanese. Like a Gold general has a small g in the corner, a Lance a small l.

But the UI is atrocious. When your opponent concedes the game just stops and you go to the score screen, no way to further look at the board. Same thing for checkmates. Also the biggest gripe is that when your opponent concedes you get a defeat screen. Idk if this is some moon logic or just a bug, but at first I thought I was losing the game from some obscure rules I didn't know. But no, your opponent conceding properly gives you your points, but it looks as if he won. Weird shit.

Idk if it was worse than this before, since this is my first Yakuza game, as I bought it to honor an action series transitioning to the superior turn based system. It's pretty good overall, but the Shogi minigame is badly executed. I played much more Koi-Koi, which is executed quite well and gives you a very strong bowling ball for the seer class.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    It's the exact same Shogi in Judgment (this is a pretty good example of the various ways in which RGG Studio successfully manages to reuse assets in order to stay within their budgets while packing so much into their games; if you've played enough of these games you can probably recite when a given animation that's getting reused was first made, and peg which new animations will be added to RGG Studio's stock animations), down to the puzzles, and I think its the same in Yakuza 5 (I only tried Shogi in Judgment and Yakuza 5 besides 7) sans puzzles which IIRC weren't there in it.

EDIT: Koi-Koi is another one of the minigames that they have that sees very little changes to it, and is one of the ones that they can always include at a low cost. I also play it a lot more than the other traditional Japanese games shown in Yakuza, and with Like A Dragon the logic in the cards finally clicked enough that I don't need the Hand Guide option besides as a stupidity alarm.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Some tips for Koi Koi which I figured out grinding that 100k tickets for the golden bowling ball:

[​IMG]

As you can see almost every of those 12 colour pairs has two trash cards which only count for kasu or season, a good card which counts for ribbons or animals and an excellent card which counts for 5 lights or Boar-Deer-Butterfly.

If the excellent card from a month is taken you can play the other 3 cards in the month away without much danger. If the excellent card is in your opponents hand/still in the deck you want to keep cards of that month preferably.

The best card in the game to try and capture is usually the sake cup. It is that red thing next to the spikey yellow flowers. It has two hands which win the game very easily, and a third one which wins the game with high points.

The next best cards are the moon and the pink flowers. Those make the winning hands with the sake cup, and are Lights themselves making them excellent for high points game winning hands.

After that the next best cards are the Crane and the Phoenix - and lastly the rain man as the last light. The rain man is slightly worse than the other brights not used in the sake cup, as hands with him need a bigger number to win.

Boar - Deer - Butterfly is a bit worse than lights, since it has a harder time getting to 7 points. Still good cards to collect.

Treat trash in the same set as the winning season currently the same as Boar - Deer - Butterfly.

If you are not collecting the above high value cards you want to collect Ribbons over Animals over Kasu. If you get all three poetry scrolls (the red ones with the black letters) or all blue scrolls they are worth a lot of points aswell.

Generally the trick to winning 100.000 points is playing on expert with a wager of 200 tickets per winning point. Then you play with the rule where wins with 7+ points get counted twice.
    Now whenever you form a hand, and you do not see an opportunity for your opponent to form a hand on his next turn, and you have less than 7 points you play Koi. Try to win with 7+ points, as something like 10 points x2 sets you up with 20x200=4000 chips. That saves you 400.000 yen and a lot of dumb clicking. If your risky strategy backfires and you get koi koid for a fuckton of points just quit the game via controller middle button. Up until the scoreboard at the end you do not actually win or lose tickets.

If we have any Hanafuda masters here who know how to do it even faster feel free to correct me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Yea you could basically sum up how to win at Koi-Koi with "get that fucking sake cup or die tryin'." If the opponent gets the cup, its time to try and get a quick win fast because most of the big point hands involve the cup and the cup can fuck you over with just one card with Moon Viewing and Cherry Blossom Viewing hands.

However, you can get the big golden ball for 10 mil at Kamurocho shops. And the golden ball isn't even as good as the upgraded weapon that you upgrade to EX with it. Also, personally I don't think Fortuneteller is a very good job, besides having one of the most important character skills Fulminating Forecast.

^ Top  
  10. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Damn I guess I wasted a lot of time then. Oh well, time enjoyed is not time wasted.
    The bowling ball was a nice powerspike at that point in the game, as I could immediatly equip
    Show Spoiler
    Nanba with it as soon as he returned to the party

I like Seer, especially on Nanba since he gets a lot of good cross class skills to counterbalance the strange stat spread of seer. High magic and predominantly physical moves, they must have been on crack when they designed that class.

^ Top  
  11. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    I played lots of Koi-Koi too, to get some Platinum Plates (also a little trick you can pull, you can quit the minigame to avoid losing your tokens if you want to save some time and negate bad draws ending badly) to buy stuff from the kimchi stall and souvenier shop before I got to the point in the game where I could use Business Management to print cash faster. And later on you'll replace that with Battle Arena and then Millenium Tower post-story. Millenium Tower dungeon is 20+ million yen per run, and you get multiple 1 million yen weapons to sell from Battle Arena bonus rewards; DO NOT SELL the ones that you get pro bono, since the million yen weapons are used to upgrade your best weapons to EX and are what are sold for 10 mil in Kamurocho.

But anyway, like I said, personally I'm not a fan of Fortuneteller, because it lacks hit-all Heat moves (since wiping weaker members of enemy groups or the entire encounter in one or two attacks is your main goal in later game). But its important to level with everyone at least to 18 because having a strong lightning attack skill is crucial (and Paralyze is in general more reliable than Stun against enemies). In case of Nanba for example, he's got really good hit-all Heat attacks from Homeless and one of the four skills that can be used to effectively poach the rich to eat for XP in sewers (these being Rapid Shot, Bullet of Honor, and Nanba's pigeons).

^ Top  
  12. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Yakuza 7 is already 20% off on steam,lol

• incline incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Part of Game Awards nomination discounts. I remember the same last year with games like Disco.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ekrolo2 Learned

ekrolo2
    Some good news amidst infinite Marvel, Star Wars and Game Award announcement dumpster fires:

• incline x 12
    • Excited! x 10
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    surprised they are releasing 3-5 as the collection instead of separately on PC

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CyberModuled Savant

CyberModuled
    Wish they'd release them separately (only one I want to replay is 5).

EDIT: Oh never mind, I'm retarded, they are giving you that option. Hurrah.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Jolly good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Misco Jones Learned

Misco Jones
    Finally!! Take all my money and fuck 2020.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Yakuza overload.

:bravo:

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    About fucking time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. MpuMngwana Learned

MpuMngwana
    Well, I guess that's what I'm doing for the first half of 2021

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    I wonder f there will be inevitable bitching because the Remastered Collection isn't a straight up Kiwami remake kind of thing.

^ Top  
  23. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    I just told my kids daddy would be gone for 2 months from the end of January.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    How dark is your skin colour? Just curious.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hopefully they don't forget SEA exist this time

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.