Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

I know, I played it already. Talking about the pre-order for the PC version on Steam.

So, how is it compared to the other games? Does the turn based combat get tedious with all the random encounters in the city? Is it actually well implemented?

Also, seems like the game is way more light-hearted and humorous than the rest of the series. That's at least what I could interpret from the trailer.

Compare? It really doesn’t, man. It’s a soft reboot of the franchise and, Jinn, you got your wish, cuz Yakuza is now a turn-based JRPG (which makes me wonders how did you not already know this about Y7?) Now the question is thus: do YOU like turn-based JRPGs? If not, then yes, it will be tedious and the constant random encounters WILL put you off.

That said, I don’t like JRPGs of most kinds, so I don’t know what a good, fast turn-based game is in this genre. The system used in Y7 is slow and cumbersome. Boss battles can take forever. You have no real control on movement over allies, and their path-finding suuuuuuucks. Sure, you tell them where to go and who to attack with what, and in the open areas, works great. If you get a battle area with lots of obstacles, it turns into a slog real fast. If you have a perfect moment to hit a couple of enemies who happen to randomly move close to each other, you execute your attack, send in your bro to assist, it lol random, he gets stuck on a trash can, takes the most bass-ackward path to his destination, lol random, gets stuck again on something and teleports to a new location. Your targeted enemies have since spread apart. It’s not hard, the game is surprisingly easy but holy shit this..for en entire game? JRPG fans eat this stuff up?

Ichiban is a bro. You’ll like him. The story is lighthearted, yes, but that lighthearted anime-absurd lol random crap otaku love. I’m not spoiling, but I hope you like Dragon Quest, cuz Ichi sure does. In all seriousness, though, it’s implied the guy is kind of fucked up from birth, prison and release. The world you’re seeing is his and it’s otaku.

It’s a not a bad game, but it’s not Yakuza. The weebs will love it and consume it because 20 years of lol random anime crap and “lol Japan is weird” culture has been the only reason the JapanLife subretards...subreddit even exists has conditioned them to love arbitrarily-long games with dopamine buttons.

Puukko

Arcane
Funny how many of the villains in 0 ended up being sympathetic while the initially respectable Shibusawa proved to be the most crooked. Awano, Kuze and Sagawa were all twisted fuckers, but especially Kuze was driven by more than just greed and Awano had a stump of a redemption arc, but he admitted the shallowness of his lifestyle. Sagawa's relationship with Majima was something only a crime drama could depict, really juicy stuff.

Ivan

Arcane
Does anyone know the name of this song? It only appears like in 3 special combat encounters throughout the entire game, but it stuck to me:

Cromwell

Arcane
After trying out 0 and then not playing it I started Kiwami and been playing through it for the last couple of days. Great stuff. Has anyone of you played Judgement and can tell me how it does compare to Yakuza?

After trying out 0 and then not playing it I started Kiwami and been playing through it for the last couple of days. Great stuff. Has anyone of you played Judgement and can tell me how it does compare to Yakuza?

It’s classic Yakuza in the sense of if you’ve played the main series you’ll be familiar. It’s a great game. There’s a different main character this time whose a former lawyer. You go around investigating some murdered yakuza, so there’s a murder mystery thing going, plus the usual beat’m’ups and mini games. Not much to say for the story, but it’s serviceable and everyone is mostly pretty cool. Yeah, if you get a chance, get it and play it.

Cromwell

Arcane
How did you end up not playing/liking 0 but Kiwami? :what:

Its not that I didnt like it, I just started and then had shit to do. Happens often, and if a game does not grip me the first five minutes I find it hard to go back especially since there are so much options and so little time. I started Kiwami right before my days off (normally I can play at most 2 hours in the evening when the son is asleep, if even that). So I played some more and couldnt stop anymore. I put 0 in the backlog because you all said it would spoil me to start with that so i play them in order from 1-6 and maybe judgment in between, then either 0 or 7. Curretly I am almost done with 1 but could do a lot more sidestuff.

Yeah, 0 is a big time sink. A fun ride, but a long one nonetheless. My one complaint with it is it’s probably too long, what with the main game and all the side stuff you can do. Mini games are really well done and fun to play by themselves. 2 hours per day...if you’re a completionist, one game at a time guy you’ve got a month booked right there.

Cromwell

Arcane
I have played until the finale and unlocked all my skilltrees, sadly I didnt get more Majima story by settling the scroe with him. Now I have read that theres some secret boss you can only fight against if you have done all the skill stuff and all substories. The question now is is that worth it or is it just a fight and done or is there some cool backstory stuff when you do that? If not I would just finish the Game and start Kiwami 2.

Yes, there’s a secret boss waiting if you do all the subplots. There’s some backstory stuff, nothing important plot-wise about him in Kiwami 1. You’ll see him in Kiwami 2, 0, and likely the games that follow. He makes for a good fight , though.

Cromwell

Arcane
I switched to Kiwami2 now and will probobly do the firsts sidestories later, or not. I have a feeling that the combat in 2 is less fluid then in the first (machine not gameplay) like I was playing it on a weak PC. I play it on xonex since its in the gamepass, is it related to the console or is that a game problem and the same on the pc, or is it just me? Are the game systems in 3-5 remastered the same as in the first kiwami or is it 0/2?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I can only speak from a PS4 experience, and it didn't have smoothness problems there. It's entirely possible that it is an issue with power, since Dragon Engine is notably more demanding than the previous engine (ie, it notably chugs in Yakuza 6 whenever there is a transparent window behind a transparent window, but this is no longer an issue in Kiwami 2 and Judgment at least on PS4).

The combat system is different from 0 in 3-5. 3 and 4 use a combat system that's their own, which does distinctly feel like an earlier version of the 0 combat. The combat in 5 does feel a lot like 0 and Kiwami (in no small part because the engine used for 0 and Kiwami debuts in 5), main difference is the absence of stances and the presence of certain moves like Dragon Spirit (which would return as Extreme Heat/Burst Heat in 6, Fist of the North Star, Kiwami 2, and Judgment).

Cromwell

Arcane
Could also be just my imagination since I played them back to back and they just look a bit different. Whatever, I still love it, its been a while since I finished a Game let alone jump straight into the sequel.

Readher

Savant
Sega will "aggressively" focus on PC ports after Steam strength during lockdown
Strong sales of Persona 4: Golden port will lead to more Sega catalogue titles on PC

Sega will start "aggressively" porting games from its back catalogue to Steam, due to the strength of digital PC sales during the COVID-19 lockdown.

The Japanese publisher's Entertainment Contents division -- which includes video games -- was the sole performer in an otherwise dismal Q1, as the global pandemic's impact on arcades, pachinko parlours and holiday resorts dragged on its bottom line.

In an investor Q&A released today, Sega said that "repeat sales" of its catalogue increased significantly in March and April this year. While that growth slowed during June and July, sales were still higher than 2019.

The key platform during that period was Steam, specifically in Europe and the US, with consumers purchasing digital games during lockdown.

Sega highlighted the performance of Persona 4: Golden, in particular, a PlayStation Vita game from 2012 that launched on Steam in June this year. Sales of the PC port were "significantly higher than expected," the company said, and that has influenced its strategy going forward.

"Going forward, we intend to aggressively promote the porting of previously launched titles to Steam and other new platforms," Sega said.

"Under such direction, we would like to take multi-platform rollout in account and prepare the PC version and others from the start."

Sega has a robust, PC-focused business in its games operations outside of Japan, with some of the industry's leading strategy and simulation developers in its portfolio.

Creative Assembly, Relic Entertainment, Amplitude Studios and Sports Interactive are all owned by Sega, and their games are likely to have driven the company's performance on Steam during the lockdown.

These comments suggest that Sega's management in Japan has recognised the strength this provides, and will now make PC an equal priority on all new releases.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-08-19-sega-to-aggressively2
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2021/1q_main_qa_e_final.pdf

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Those enemy names are something else. Arch-vagrant? Hungry hungry homeless? :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom