Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Damn the keyboard control scheme is shit, they mapped perfect block to escape!!!!

Jinn

Arcane
Damn the keyboard control scheme is shit, they mapped perfect block to escape!!!!

Real Yakuza Use a Gamepad! But seriously, if you have a controller, JRPGs always seem best played that way.

Also, this game is fucking awesome. More to come.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
every yakuza games starts slow and just keeps building and building until the climax, I doubt this one is any different.

This game is especially slow though. It's A LOT OF background story cutscenes to set up the mood.

English dub is pretty good though. I like it so far.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Real Yakuza Use a Gamepad! But seriously, if you have a controller, JRPGs always seem best played that way.

Also, this game is fucking awesome. More to come.

After remapping to R, strongly disagree.

Fighting games are best on gamepad, which series previously approximated. This is a turn based game and thus KBM is far, far superior for menu scrolling and general gaming.

Jinn

Arcane
After remapping to R, strongly disagree.

Fighting games are best on gamepad, which series previously approximated. This is a turn based game and thus KBM is far, far superior for menu scrolling and general gaming.

However you enjoy the game is fine by me.

Jinn

Arcane
So after around 10 hours of play, I feel I can speak on Yakuza 7 from a pure gameplay perspective. The game has been predictably easy so far. However, that doesn't mean it hasn't been fun. As of now, I can say I wish they had allowed a "hard" mode right out of the gate. Still, I feel the considerations that have come along with a turn-based and party system has ultimately benefited the Yakuza formula. The economy has felt a lot tighter from the start, the encounters have felt more impactful and fun, and itemization and exploration has felt more rewarding. Again, I think all of this would have come together better with a "hard" mode right out of the gate.

I've read several complaints of the difficulty curve ratcheting up around the halfway mark, and I can't wait to see if it's true, or if it's just the complaints of people who don't know how to play videogames into their adult years. Really hope it's true. Overall, the game is so much fun and entertaining at almost every step that I don't really care at this point (like every other Yakuza game I've played). Ichiban Kasuga has been a joy to get to know, Yokohama has been such a pleasure to get to know, all of Kasuga's new friends have been a happy surprise to get to know, and the turn-based system itself has been so much fun to engage in, that I don't really care if it takes a second playthrough to play a "hard" version of it. That being said, I see a great amount of potential to be tapped there.

Overall, for me, it's a welcome change that I hope they continue with in further installments. You can really feel how much fun the development team had breaking out of the shell of their past works. I think if we get more Yakuzas of these types, and they give us the option right from the get-go to turn up the difficulty, I'll be absolutely happy that this change occurred in the first place. But beyond all that, the playfullness, the joy, the great intention behind it all has made this day one full of smiles for me. Tons of laughter, and I've almost always been smiling every hour of play.

PS - Going to probably post this as a positive steam review as well, to support the release of this game on the PC platform.

EDIT: It must also be said that the game forced me out of my comfortable "easy" gameplay near the end of my session tonight. While following the main story missions, it placed me in an area where I could have easily game-overed if I wasn't careful in encounters. Hopefully this is a premonition for what is to come.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
Any of the DLC/Special editions worth buying?

I don't care about boosts or stuff that just makes the game easier (didn't touched any of that DLC in Yakuza 0, 1 or 2).

This is the DLC:

Ultimate Costume Set - just cosmetics
Karaoke Set - not actually new tracks for the karaoke minigame, just music you can have playing in your base or whatever iirc.
Management Mode Set - basically a booster pack for the management mode in the game w/ super buffed legendary characters
Job Set - This one gives you two new jobs, one for male party members and one for female.
Pachislots - Free DLC that lets you play pachislots from the main menu of the game lol

of the paid DLC only the Job Set has any added gameplay, but I'm not sure if those Jobs are meant to be OP or what.

In Japan they had an extra hard mode and postgame/new game + DLC, but those are already in the base western version, you need to finish the game to unlock hard/extra hard.
Thanks. Maybe I will get the Job Set then. "Devil Rocker" does look very stupid thou.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Apparently the difficulty on EX-HARD is pretty good with most enemies being able to kill you in 3-4 hits throughout the game.

Too bad it's locked behind NG+. Current info seems to indicate that playing on EX-HARD for NG+ would presume that you leveled to something like 70 at the end of NG.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Too bad it's locked behind NG+.
Any mods yet to fix it? I'm shit at akshun games to play it on harder difficulties but in turned based rpg games fighting tooth and nail is exactly what i want from first playthrough and then just stomp everyone on ng+.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I live right next door to Japan and steam is telling me this game does not exist. Do the Japanese hate themselves and their neighbours so much they'd cut their nose to spite their face in this way? This is some deka bakka shit.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I'm liking how fast the battle system is and the use of perfect parry makes it always engaging. The game almost feels like the brawlers just w/ less button mashing lol

Yeah, as far as turn-based combat with no positioning is concerned (like most JRPGs), you gotta hand it to RGG team for making turn-based look so goddamn cool.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
So... what do you guys think so far of the new yakuza protagonist? How does he compare to Kiryu, in terms of writing and characterization?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm liking how fast the battle system is and the use of perfect parry makes it always engaging. The game almost feels like the brawlers just w/ less button mashing lol

Yeah, as far as turn-based combat with no positioning is concerned (like most JRPGs), you gotta hand it to RGG team for making turn-based look so goddamn cool.

Except there sort of is positioning though. No, you can't decide where your guys move around, but there's AoE skills and if you try and run past a mook to attack his teammate there's a chance he'll interrupt the attack. It's basic, but it does add to the interest.

Game only really starts after 4 hours or so, hope that doesn't put the impatient off. I'm 8 hours in and it's the best JRPG I've played probably since DQXI, which is rather apt. One of those games you play with a constant grin on your face.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
So... what do you guys think so far of the new yakuza protagonist? How does he compare to Kiryu, in terms of writing and characterization?

he's a bro.. at first I was kind of meh on him until he stopped being an idiot about Arakawa, when he BTFO that Zheng guy in chapter 2/3 w/ facts I started to enjoy him more. he's like kiryu mixed w/ majima, he has kiryu's values and honor/pride but also has a lighthearted non-serious side like majima

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
Does the game have any major connections to previous Yakuza games in terms of story? I picked the game up but I haven't completed Y4, 5, or 6 yet and I kinda wanna dip my toes into this one just to see how different it is but I don't want to spoil the previous games either. and yes I'm gonna play them eventually, I have the PS4 remasters but I just haven't put aside the time yet

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the game have any major connections to previous Yakuza games in terms of story? I picked the game up but I haven't completed Y4, 5, or 6 yet and I kinda wanna dip my toes into this one just to see how different it is but I don't want to spoil the previous games either. and yes I'm gonna play them eventually, I have the PS4 remasters but I just haven't put aside the time yet
If you can play those games first, I suggest that you do so. This game does not continue with Kiryu as the protagonist, but the Tojo clan is still involved, and the fate of characters from Yakuza 6 will be spoiled in Like A Dragon.

vota DC

Augur
Do you have choices and reputation system or the usual One story + complete everything system?

Also how Is character Building? I played 3 Yakuza games and each had different system: just Yen for Yakuza zero, experience and fight with majima for kiwami 1 and 5 values for purchasing skills for kiwami 2

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Do you have choices and reputation system or the usual One story + complete everything system?
One story + complete everything

Also how Is character Building? I played 3 Yakuza games and each had different system: just Yen for Yakuza zero, experience and fight with majima for kiwami 1 and 5 values for purchasing skills for kiwami 2
You level up your character and active job seperatly. I guess like in Dragon Quest or Bravely Default.
The mechanics are typically JRPG, but in the Yakuza universe.

vota DC

Augur
About kiwami 2 (still general Yakuza thread) why they added Buono Isozaki as a commentator? I mean cabaret club Is now a sport like pocket circuit with Fighter but why.... Buono? He even says "Era buono" that means "It was tasty" but It Is a cabaret race with girls and not Masterchef!

Tyrr

Liturgist
If you can play those games first, I suggest that you do so. This game does not continue with Kiryu as the protagonist, but the Tojo clan is still involved, and the fate of characters from Yakuza 6 will be spoiled in Like A Dragon.
Damn. I thought about playing 7, but now it has to wait until I finish 3-6.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
This game is huuuuge. There are like 10+ classes to level up to 99, and I am only at lvl 14 with the main classes after 14 hours of play. The combat is much much better than the rest of the series, imo, and it's actually fun to gather items and gear now, since they can play a far more important role in combat. This is the perfect Yakuza game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom