Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Yakuza Thread (Yakuza: Like A Dragon OUT NOW!)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Abu Antar, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Has anyone got onto NG+ yet? I'm curious about how it handles part-time hero stuff. I don't want to spend ages hunting down low level trash mobs to clear a challenge, only for it to reset on NG+. I'm thinking it all carries over, is this right?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Based on some Nippon site, Part-Time Hero stuff should carry over achievement wise. Probably means that the quests might still appear (because subquests are reset) in the game but the game considers it already done.

Important to also note that while Job levels carry over to NG+, you are stuck in the initial jobs as per story progression. Thus it is wise to make sure starting job of Ichiban is levelled up decently by the end of NG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    Damn I wish sidequests accounted for the active party members. I understand it's their first step into the party based gameplay but I'm still bummed every time seeing only Ichiban active during those

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. vota DC Liturgist

vota DC
    Why clan creator Is named like that? You just hire a team to protect a costruction a Building site, you don't build a clan rival to Tojo and Omi.
    In Kiwami 2 while the rarity is a good way to have an idea of melee units power It doesn't work with support units. For example Councilor Saeki Is labeled as common but his Attack Power Is bigger than rare support. Also there Is pistol, bomb and Rocket Launcher support but pistol seems garbage...has slighty Better rate of fire but you kill even 20 enemies with a rocket Launcher.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. CarbonCarousel Learned

CarbonCarousel
    Yakuza: LAD?!?! Where the hell was I when this happened? Yakuza games come seemingly out of nowhere... I'm always down for a surprise adventure in this excellent series. Yakuza games have provided me with more straight-up fun than almost any other game or series I've ever played.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    The Clan Creator is named that primarily because a much more barebones version of it debuted in Yakuza 6 and it was named that. And no, you don't build a rival to Tojo or Omi in that either.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's a testament to the game that I've played 70 hours and have no idea what this post is talking about. Looks like it's still got some new surprises to throw at me even after 70 hours. This is definitely my GOTY no doubt, it's just a shame they've not balanced the difficulty properly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    he's talking about the majima construction company management in yakuza kiwami 2

^ Top  
  9. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    He is talking about Kiwami 2, not LAD.

^ Top  
  10. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    Same here. It's absolutely magnificent and I barely scratched the surface with jobs and party composition. I think only CP77 is a contender to take over GOTY, and even then, it's going to be a seriously high bar to get there.

^ Top  
  11. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    :hahyou:

^ Top  
  12. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Didn't see anyone discussing this mod, so:

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    wtf Haruka was a nephilim all along

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Rather convenient that Rie Kugimiya voices a lot of other characters that were mined for this :P

^ Top  
  15. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    But why? Don't get me wrong - i like playing female characters but why would someone change Kiryu for some annoying kid?

^ Top  
  16. MpuMngwana Learned

MpuMngwana
    Like a Dragon was great so far, but wow, chapter 12 really takes it to another level. Interesting plot developments, some real nice character moments, ton of Yakuza fanservice and probably the first genuinely difficult battle in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Yes, that's where I am as well. Just past the battle I think you're talking about and the difficulty did take me by surprise after I'd crushed the arena and felt I was never going to see a challenging fight. Took me two goes at it as I didn't heal Ichiban enough when 1 became 2 and, well, you know the rest. Now grinding up some cash to fully upgrade the crafting workshop and seeing what wonders I can create just in case that was signifying a step up in the difficulty curve.

^ Top  
  18. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    For the lulz, obviously.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MpuMngwana Learned

MpuMngwana
    Yeah, that's the one. Tried it first before doing the arena, got demolished by a 15 levels higher enemy. Went back, did the arena fights, maxed out Nanba's friendship in the process and made decent progress with Zhao and the Korean dude, and it was still rather tough. Got killed another time in a matter similar to you, then won the next time after playing much more conservatively.

^ Top  
  20. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    Yeah, I'm in the finale and the difficulty curve has massively spiked starting with *that* fight in chapter 12. Same goes for the subsequent ones. Nothing impossible, but boss fight levels jump up big time to the point where you get to the point where Kasuga can get one-shot by the boss at any time. Since side stories seem to have all been front loaded, you don't naturally increase through random encounters anymore. Not a big fan of being pushed into grinding the arena/undergrounds just so that character levels catch up, but it was that or spending even more time against lower level street mobs. They probably should have saved some side content for those late chapters, the streets feel too empty.

^ Top  
  21. GhostCow ワイフハンター Patron

GhostCow
    RPG Wokedex
    Does this game have accurate subs if you're playing in Japanese or does it just use the English dialogue for the subtitles? That's my biggest concern with this series getting a dub.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fishy Learned

Fishy
    Just give me a few years to develop fluency in japanese and I'll get back to you with the answer.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Probably not. Why do i say this? Because in 95% of other games, it does not work like that.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    As someone who is intermediate in Japanese (can understand daily conversations fine, although struggle with heavy slang like you hear in Yakuza games), I've noticed quite a few differences, though can't recall anything off the top of my head. But if you mean something along the lines of like the English translation of Battle Royale manga, then no, it's not that level of different.

But I don't know what you mean by accurate subs anyhow. They've always translated quite a lot of things differently (particularly puns) to English before because doing direct translation would make the script feel stilted and awkward as fuck. Vagueness of Japanese does not translate well into English at all if you just do it mechanistically.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    There's a bit at one point where a goon says something like 'take a hike, jack' to which Ichi replies 'Take a hike, jack? Ah, so you're from kansai'. That really sounded like something was lost in translation. I've got no idea on the Japanese words, but some of the voice actors they've picked for the various characters is more off putting imo. No spoilers, but there's one character who's the typical Yakuza patriarch who they've tried to give some terrible bastardisation of a Brooklyn accent. Thankfully as almost nothing in the game is played totally seriously it just added to my enjoyment but if you're a purist I can see it getting under some people's skin.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.