Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Fishy

Savant
Finished here too, neat ending. Kasuga is entertaining from the start and only gets better. Roll on Y8 with an updated Ijincho map.

I haven't jumped yet into post-game, ng+, or spent much time in dungeons, so I guess this is where it possibly gets better, but while combat was serviceable most game, from chapter 12 onwards, it was all out of whack. Mobs are useless and just a waste of time, and bosses are stupid sponges with (for some of them) a couple of one-shot skills. All it means is tedious combat lasting too many turns spamming the same 2/3 skills doing enough damage (with Orbital Laser the MVP) and casting heals or consuming recovery items to spam some more. That chapter 12 fight was probably the most interesting one due to the dynamic of it, and the fact that as of then, I hadn't yet adapted to boss fights. The others were just watching HP bars, really. It definitely didn't feel as epic as the brawler+quicktime boss fights from previous entries.

Story-wise, this is typical Yakuza. Love the over-the-top melodramatic main story, and the wacky side stories (kudos to whoever came up with the kimchi of life and the sujimaru one...). I just wish the authors didn't feel the need to kill so many characters that could be interesting side actors in a story down the line. But ah, it's not like I wasn't expecting it.

Ultimately, it's a fantastic game. Now that the story's done, I can go back to playing mahjong and finish Dragon Kart.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kiryu could sleep with hookers in 3, iirc. Considering how many reviews complain about "representation of women" I can see why the sexual content has diminished in later Yakuza games.

Actually Ichiban has it way better (or worse, haha) than Kiryu ever had:
dmZoAUy.png

Caim

Arcane
What's with the chick in the gray blazer? She's got a hammer and... dunno, nails and something else. Is she gonna crucify the dude or something?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's with the chick in the gray blazer? She's got a hammer and... dunno, nails and something else. Is she gonna crucify the dude or something?
She holds a hammer, nails and a voodoo doll.
They nailed Ichi nailing them all, and hell hath no fury...

680x0

Learned
Just finished at 105 hours, minimal grinding and no post-game stuff.

Maybe I will spend my retirement playing darts with my waifu Eri-chan~

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also just finished, at 94 hours. Did do quite a bit grinding to get my guys up to 77-78 and a few different jobs ranked up. Ending was as bonkers as the rest, but by god it did drag on a bit. Unskippable ending credits should be a crime, especially when there's loads of cut-scenes afterwards.

Brilliant game though, best RPG of the year for me. Now for the post-game until CP2077 comes out next week.

Fishy

Savant
Ending was as bonkers as the rest, but by god it did drag on a bit. Unskippable ending credits should be a crime, especially when there's loads of cut-scenes afterwards.

Very typical of the series alright, and on that note, I absolutely despise the lack of save opportunity. It bit me in the arse in, errr, I think it was Yakuza 0, with a game crash sometime during the post-endgame cutscenes, and I had to redo the entire 2-characters fucking gauntlet all over just because the game can't be bothered to give me a save point before going of with 30 minutes of cutscenes. And of course I *had* to redo it because I want to know how it all ends. Let's say I was fervently hoping Y7 wouldn't crash, because I didn't fancy having to redo the fucking tower slog.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Finished it today too with 83 hours in, and was kinda surprised how emotional the ending actually was. Great stuff. Gameplay-wise, it felt like I was still underleveled with 65, since the
Tendo
fight took ages. I didn't really invest too much into the Workshop and rolled with the weapons I found in the battle arena (which are worth 1.000.000 Yen each). Also, is it me or are the Freelancer and Hero jobs pretty bad when you compare them to the rest of the cast? Hero job was like a jack of all trades with moderate damage output and really meh support, and Freelancer felt more like an evasion tank than an actual damage dealer. Guess I will be investing more time in team combinations in the next playthrough (something like Ichiban as Fortune Teller, Eri and Sae as Matriarchs, and a Foreman for the dungeons). Question is, New Game Plus or Premium Adventure? Does New Game Plus even unlock more stuff, or is it just clearing dungeons in Premium Adventure now?

Fishy

Savant
Finished it today too with 83 hours in, and was kinda surprised how emotional the ending actually was. Great stuff. Gameplay-wise, it felt like I was still underleveled with 65, since the
Tendo
fight took ages. I didn't really invest too much into the Workshop and rolled with the weapons I found in the battle arena (which are worth 1.000.000 Yen each). Also, is it me or are the Freelancer and Hero jobs pretty bad when you compare them to the rest of the cast? Hero job was like a jack of all trades with moderate damage output and really meh support, and Freelancer felt more like an evasion tank than an actual damage dealer. Guess I will be investing more time in team combinations in the next playthrough (something like Ichiban as Fortune Teller, Eri and Sae as Matriarchs, and a Foreman for the dungeons). Question is, New Game Plus or Premium Adventure? Does New Game Plus even unlock more stuff, or is it just clearing dungeons in Premium Adventure now?

Hero comes with the errr, Peerless Resolve (iirc) skill that prevents one-shots on Kasuga. Since Kasuga being one-shot is your single point of failure, this is literally the best defensive skill in game. After that, dunno, I likes Kasuga's kit with the Giga Swing to clear mooks, decent single-target skills, and the hero's bat doing lightning damage to which many things are weak. The rez skills are gimmicks as they have a chance to fail and consumables are a foolproof option. That said, offensively, there's nothing that comes close to the orbital laser, and I think you get that from the corporation minigame? So depending on whether Peerless Resolve is a character skill or not, the job shouldn't matter too much.

680x0

Learned
Sounds like I was a similar level to everyone else but I ground up a lot more cash (management mode) and put it into weapons upgrades. I think I was only ever KO'd a couple of times. I never seriously used any buffs or healing spells, just occasional debuffs on bosses and big bentos if I started to get low.

Final Team:
Ichiban/hero (orbital laser and peppershaker)
Eri/matriarch (max class single and multi attacks)
Gray Boy/never changed classes (rapid shot for hobo metal slimes and bosses, divine shot for groups)
Nanba/Homeless + fortuneteller (max magic stats and attacks)

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Sounds like I was a similar level to everyone else but I ground up a lot more cash (management mode) and put it into weapons upgrades. I think I was only ever KO'd a couple of times. I never seriously used any buffs or healing spells, just occasional debuffs on bosses and big bentos if I started to get low.

Final Team:
Ichiban/hero (orbital laser and peppershaker)
Eri/matriarch (max class single and multi attacks)
Gray Boy/never changed classes (rapid shot for hobo metal slimes and bosses, divine shot for groups)
Nanba/Homeless + fortuneteller (max magic stats and attacks)

Gray boy class is absolutely legit. Was my biggest damage dealer with the Head Trauma / Cheap Shot attacks, and that Rapid Shot is a god send against those Vagabonds indeed.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finished it, and it was a great ride. I'd rate it in shared second/fourth spot for the series (since the first is also shared between 6 and 0) with Judgment in terms of story.

I did some grinding at the Battle Arena, and had a level 65 on average on the party (jobs around 30, and most characters had most universal job skills unlocked; VERY IMPORTANT Peppermill Smash since that's an absurdly useful attack).

Final Team for Tendo:
Ichiban with Hero
Adachi with Detective
Nanba with Homeless
Saeko with Idol

It took a while to cake Tendo in blackpepper, but it worked out. For some reason I never got hit with the instant death effect, I guess parrying the attack might influence the %?

The Final Team for Grinding was a bit different:

Ichiban with Hero
Han with Host (seriously, Han's base job has amazing stats, but his Essence of Trick Shots is not good for group deletion)
Adachi with Detective/Nanba with Homeless (Essence of Hell's Wheel and Essence of Pyro Prison are good follow-ups to the one two hit that Han and...)
Zhao with Gangster (seriously, Essence of Ladder Acrobatics is crazy good, usually it was a wipe in Battle Arena the moment Zhao got his turn, and with Han and either Rose Splendor or Champagne Wave it was the case whenever pirate captains or such weren't involved).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of you finishing the game and not even bothering to let the rest of us know how the karaoke is. :rpgcodex:

680x0

Learned
Karaoke is comfier and less frantic than I remember previous games... The real question is, how is shogi?

Fishy

Savant
All of you finishing the game and not even bothering to let the rest of us know how the karaoke is. :rpgcodex:

Karaoke was a letdown as far as I'm concerned. No real catchy song or bonkers music video. Plus the "Karaoke DLC" only brings previous karaoke songs as CDs, so you can play the music in the pub, nothing else.

This is a very far cry from Kiryu's Judgement or Majima's 24h Cinderella, and possibly the only minigame in a state of decline.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say Hell Stew is deffo up there in the series' karaoke. And Machine Gun Kiss is back too.

Though you obviously should absolutely not do karaoke with the English voiceover. The voice actors do give it their best, but they're just way out of their league, very notable with Adachi and Zhao. Considering David Hayter is Kashiwagi, I believe there was a missed opportunity to see how Snake goes against Snake in Machine Gun Kiss (since turns out Akio Otsuka has a great singing voice).

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Karaoke is comfier and less frantic than I remember previous games... The real question is, how is shogi?

Mediocre to bad UI wise. There is two options, timer on/off and takebacks allowed.
If you allow takebacks they employ a strange system where you have three normal takebacks and one super takeback where you can undo multiple turns. It gives you less Shogi points to use takebacks, but I immediatly turned them off. I never tried timers on.

There is a good number of Shogi puzzles, which give a lot of Shogi points and are excellent for learning the ruleset. The introduce stuff like dropping for checkmate. I went from not knowing anything about Shogi to being able to beat the AI fairly easily, although I am pretty strong at chess.

There is also an option to play with a handicap for extra Shogi points. Follows normal Shogi Handicap rules as far as I know.

Main gameplay mode gives you a lot of AIs to play against, for every Kyu there is two. You have 6 enemies at the start, Kyu 7-10. You unlock more by beating a Kyu 7 opponent you unlock Kyu 6.

The Shogi points can be exchanged for good shit, stat boosters and rare crafting mats and the like.

Visually and sound wise it is rather nice, and you get little letters next to the Kanji indicating what is which for people who can't speak Japanese. Like a Gold general has a small g in the corner, a Lance a small l.

But the UI is atrocious. When your opponent concedes the game just stops and you go to the score screen, no way to further look at the board. Same thing for checkmates. Also the biggest gripe is that when your opponent concedes you get a defeat screen. Idk if this is some moon logic or just a bug, but at first I thought I was losing the game from some obscure rules I didn't know. But no, your opponent conceding properly gives you your points, but it looks as if he won. Weird shit.

Idk if it was worse than this before, since this is my first Yakuza game, as I bought it to honor an action series transitioning to the superior turn based system. It's pretty good overall, but the Shogi minigame is badly executed. I played much more Koi-Koi, which is executed quite well and gives you a very strong bowling ball for the seer class.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's the exact same Shogi in Judgment (this is a pretty good example of the various ways in which RGG Studio successfully manages to reuse assets in order to stay within their budgets while packing so much into their games; if you've played enough of these games you can probably recite when a given animation that's getting reused was first made, and peg which new animations will be added to RGG Studio's stock animations), down to the puzzles, and I think its the same in Yakuza 5 (I only tried Shogi in Judgment and Yakuza 5 besides 7) sans puzzles which IIRC weren't there in it.

EDIT: Koi-Koi is another one of the minigames that they have that sees very little changes to it, and is one of the ones that they can always include at a low cost. I also play it a lot more than the other traditional Japanese games shown in Yakuza, and with Like A Dragon the logic in the cards finally clicked enough that I don't need the Hand Guide option besides as a stupidity alarm.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some tips for Koi Koi which I figured out grinding that 100k tickets for the golden bowling ball:

2AcVvpP.jpg

As you can see almost every of those 12 colour pairs has two trash cards which only count for kasu or season, a good card which counts for ribbons or animals and an excellent card which counts for 5 lights or Boar-Deer-Butterfly.

If the excellent card from a month is taken you can play the other 3 cards in the month away without much danger. If the excellent card is in your opponents hand/still in the deck you want to keep cards of that month preferably.

The best card in the game to try and capture is usually the sake cup. It is that red thing next to the spikey yellow flowers. It has two hands which win the game very easily, and a third one which wins the game with high points.

The next best cards are the moon and the pink flowers. Those make the winning hands with the sake cup, and are Lights themselves making them excellent for high points game winning hands.

After that the next best cards are the Crane and the Phoenix - and lastly the rain man as the last light. The rain man is slightly worse than the other brights not used in the sake cup, as hands with him need a bigger number to win.

Boar - Deer - Butterfly is a bit worse than lights, since it has a harder time getting to 7 points. Still good cards to collect.

Treat trash in the same set as the winning season currently the same as Boar - Deer - Butterfly.

If you are not collecting the above high value cards you want to collect Ribbons over Animals over Kasu. If you get all three poetry scrolls (the red ones with the black letters) or all blue scrolls they are worth a lot of points aswell.

Generally the trick to winning 100.000 points is playing on expert with a wager of 200 tickets per winning point. Then you play with the rule where wins with 7+ points get counted twice.
Now whenever you form a hand, and you do not see an opportunity for your opponent to form a hand on his next turn, and you have less than 7 points you play Koi. Try to win with 7+ points, as something like 10 points x2 sets you up with 20x200=4000 chips. That saves you 400.000 yen and a lot of dumb clicking. If your risky strategy backfires and you get koi koid for a fuckton of points just quit the game via controller middle button. Up until the scoreboard at the end you do not actually win or lose tickets.

If we have any Hanafuda masters here who know how to do it even faster feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom